Telling where we really are

Options
It does not seem like weighing first thing in the morning is a way to really see where our weight is, but it is consistently the best way to keep track of progress or lack of. When people fast, is that a better way to tell, since the body has more of a chance to be fully flushed of all sodium and most waste?

Replies

• donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Makes sense.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's easy to get caught up in "THE number".

Instead, it's more accurate to get a lot of data points (within reason) to see the overall trend.

One illuminating exercise is to weight yourself throughout the day, to see how much your body actually varies. There's a lot in your body: water, undigested food, stuff (ahem) not quite on it's way out, and water retention due to exercise fatigue or in women monthly periods.

The most accurate weight would probrably after having the flu for a week, so you're clean inside and out. But not recommended. :)
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    As long as you are consistent, and weigh at same time of day, remembering even then it will fluctuate, you should get a good idea
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    I do tess, and I am weighing 2 pounds more per day after eating the gumbo, leading me to surmise that the gumbo is high in sodium and is causing me to retain water.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Is it fair to say though that your lowest weight of the day is what your weight truly is? This has nothing to do with how much weight one has lost, since that would be most fairly gauged on weighing at the same time every day, I get that. But it seems like if one took the effort to weigh at multiple times during the day, then the lowest weight of the day would be what a person really weighs. Yes? No?
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I do tess, and I am weighing 2 pounds more per day after eating the gumbo, leading me to surmise that the gumbo is high in sodium and is causing me to retain water.

It does sound like water weight!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Is it fair to say though that your lowest weight of the day is what your weight truly is? This has nothing to do with how much weight one has lost, since that would be most fairly gauged on weighing at the same time every day, I get that. But it seems like if one took the effort to weigh at multiple times during the day, then the lowest weight of the day would be what a person really weighs. Yes? No?

I think you are overthinking this a bit. We weigh what we weigh when we weigh (no matter time of day)

Honestly we have a weight range (not really a true weight) due to fluctuations going on at a constant in our bodies, I rarely ever weigh the same exact weight two or three days in a row. Your weight range be that up or down over a span of time will give you as close to a static number if you keep up with the data points (i.e. your daily scale weight and collected at the same time everyday).

• donjtomasco
    Options
    kgirlhart, if I drink a gallon of water during and after stuffing myself at a buffet restaurant and eat till I am so stuffed that I might explode (think of Paul Newman's stomach in Cool Hand Luke after eating 50 hardboiled eggs) then I immediately weight myself, you are saying this would be my true weight? I think the low weight of the day would be a better indicator of a true weight then the highest after most likely eating a full meal.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    I give up!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I prefer just weighing every day at the same time, and using a trendweight or happyscale average to track progress and don't really pay any attention to the specific number (just the direction of the trend).
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    If you looked at my daily page of what I eat and exercise calories I add then eat back you will see that I am not on a dangerous disordered diet by any means. My goal is to lose anywhere between 0.00001 to 1.0 pounds per week, and so far since Oct 30th I am averaging 0.5 pounds loss per week (on average).

I just like exploring different possibilities. Sometimes it seems like asking off beat questions really rocks the boat in this community. But that's fair. I enjoy all the comments.
  • gracegettingittogether
    gracegettingittogether Posts: 176 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    When I worked as a RN on cardiac floor with lots of patients with kidney problems, who retain fluid which can cause potentially fatal issues, we always weighed first thing in the morning, after the patient had used the bathroom. The physicians who were closely monitoring weight as a sign of fluid retention, would often check with us if the weights were accurate, meaning right after awakening and after using the bathroom. So it is technically and medically the most accurate.