Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Don’t believe everything you hear or read!

Options
2»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    myles1230 wrote: »
    Compete3x wrote: »
    So I should believe everything I read?

That is the question....?

Not much of a question. If you believe everything you read without looking at multiple sources and applying a critical lens, your likely to flounder about from one scheme to another. Of course some will be successful. After all, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Or as I've seen it put: People sometimes manage to succeed in spite of what they do rather than because of what they do.

Yours is more accurate.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Wait, is protein powder a gimmick too? I rely on it in my shakes for lunch 5 out of 7 days!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Compete3x wrote: »
    So I should believe everything I read?

That is the question....?

Not much of a question. If you believe everything you read without looking at multiple sources and applying a critical lens, your likely to flounder about from one scheme to another. Of course some will be successful. After all, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Or as I've seen it put: People sometimes manage to succeed in spite of what they do rather than because of what they do.

Yours is more accurate.

I'm trying to remember exactly how Rippetoe put it. Something to the effect of if you're a young male beginner, every program works for 6 months, even the bad ones.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Wait, is protein powder a gimmick too? I rely on it in my shakes for lunch 5 out of 7 days!

The answer to that question requires some context:

If you're not getting adequate protein in your diet, protein powders can be beneficial. They're a good way to boost your protein intake without a lot of excess calories.

If you're already getting adequate protein in your diet, protein powders will do nothing markedly beneficial for you.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

The answer to that question requires some context:

If you're not getting adequate protein in your diet, protein powders can be beneficial. They're a good way to boost your protein intake without a lot of excess calories.

If you're already getting adequate protein in your diet, protein powders will do nothing markedly beneficial for you.

Thanks for the clarification, appreciate it.

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    fake news! fake news!
  • myles1230
    myles1230 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Do we really need to be eating 6-7 small meals per day to speed up metabolism and to grow? Do we really need pre workout and protein powders? Do we really need 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight to grow?Example: People who are incarcerated in prison! They only get 3 meals a day, and the meals given are not packed with protein and essential nutrients, they don’t have access to protein powders,pre workout,creatine ,etc. and are limited to weight lifting and exercise equipment, but yet still somehow are able to get and be massive and ripped! Explain the science behind that?!! It makes you wonder.... what to believe? What to follow? Random thoughts...

Well, having spent a number of years on a State Vacation in my youth I can possibly shed some light on the "science" behind this.

Yes, 3 "free" meals a day - but they are large calorie dense meals with plenty of protein... also, you eat with your race and within that race you eat with a specific group. There are always folks who don't finish their meals for whatever reason and food is passed around. You also usually have someone on the line you know who can usually get away with doubling your portions if you ask.

You also get commissary once a week. There is a certain stigma attached to being indigent and on most yards you work - even if it's the yard crew you make some money that goes on your books. If not, you are expected to have a "hustle" or family to place funds into your account. You would be amazed at what you can get through the commissary and some don't even eat in the dining facilities and just make their own food. You can even cook - as stingers can be made from things like headphones and were even eventually allowed to be bought. Heck, some guys ran their own "stores" and you could always approach them for anything from soups to a bag of pot roast.

Guys get big because we had nothing to do but lift, eat, and sleep... and you got plenty of each. ;)

Thanks man!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Surely, it horses for courses. Presumably most on here are the epitome of extremely good health so there will be nothing gained by their doing anything other than cico. For those who are less fortunate in their health, who may benefit for example, from maintaining a regular blood sugar level having 6 small meals could well be helpful. I believe no two bodies, even with the same set of symptoms, what will help one may not help the other.

So in my view, its each to their own, making their health their own priority, unless someone is doing something like really low calorie without medical advice, not pre bariatric, who are we to be judgemental?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Surely, it horses for courses. Presumably most on here are the epitome of extremely good health so there will be nothing gained by their doing anything other than cico. For those who are less fortunate in their health, who may benefit for example, from maintaining a regular blood sugar level having 6 small meals could well be helpful. I believe no two bodies, even with the same set of symptoms, what will help one may not help the other.

So in my view, its each to their own, making their health their own priority, unless someone is doing something like really low calorie without medical advice, not pre bariatric, who are we to be judgemental?

While I generally agree with you, the OP was talking about these things being diet & fitness rules people are told to follow. He specifically said "Do we really need to be eating 6-7 small meals per day to speed up metabolism and to grow?" The answer to that is unequivocally no. Some people might stay full longer, some people might have better blood sugar control, some people might find multiple small meals just fits their schedule better, but it does not speed up your metabolism or increase muscle building. I have no problem with people choosing to eat 6-7 small meals. I have a problem with journalists writing articles about how eating 6 small meals increases your metabolism or makes you lose weight.
  • hulland24
    hulland24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good question, steroids could also be why some prisoners get big quickly with limited exercise. Just a thought.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Do we really need to be eating 6-7 small meals per day to speed up metabolism and to grow? Do we really need pre workout and protein powders? Do we really need 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight to grow?Example: People who are incarcerated in prison! They only get 3 meals a day, and the meals given are not packed with protein and essential nutrients, they don’t have access to protein powders,pre workout,creatine ,etc. and are limited to weight lifting and exercise equipment, but yet still somehow are able to get and be massive and ripped! Explain the science behind that?!! It makes you wonder.... what to believe? What to follow? Random thoughts...

A few get jacked and ripped. Most are fat or meth addict skinny. Those don't get featured in the prison workout videos.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, follow what your body is telling you to follow is what I have learned through trial and error. No person is the same and thus makes most things kind of biased and when it comes to weight loss or weight gain one size does not fit all except CICO.

I personally don't have the time to eat 5-7 meals a day nor think its necessary...but I've heard people who "have" to eat 5-6 small meals a day.

I am also a volume eater and would rather two big meals and a snack vs. 5-6 tiny meals. To me, that's a tease.