Are My Health Coach's Words Accurate?

Options
13»

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You say you aren't paying her, but it's she your Herbalife distributor? Because then you are paying her and she may be saying things to make you buy more products. It's very concerning that she's so negative and dire in her pronouncements while having no formal education in any of this.

Yes, she's my distributor, however, I'm not purchasing the products at a marked up value, she's selling them to me at her cost value, so she's not making any money off of me.

One of the reasons people distrust Herbalife so much is that their distributors are often encouraged to make false or misleading statements to their clients and potential clients in order to solidify their loyalty to the company and its products. Your friend may not know any better, but it sounds like they are passing on some of the fearmongering and nonsense that Herbalife distributors often pass on. It's one of the reasons the title "health coach" is not to be trusted at all. They often have no knowledge beyond a company brochure and some dubious claims passed down through message boards or the upper levels in their pyramid scheme.

Exactly. You asked for opinions on Herbalife in another thread and what you've put in this thread is exactly why people distrust it. Your distributor may not be making money off you, but she's making money telling other people this dire, uneducated crap. She has no right to call herself a health coach.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    What body fat percentage does she think you should be aiming for? If I'm remembering health classes from the past correctly (and I don't care enough to go look it up), isn't somewhere around 20-30% perfectly healthy for women, even up near 33%? Women need fat for reproductive and hormonal purposes.

That said, those scales aren't very accurate. And from your picture, I'd say your body type is to carry your weight around your middle, the worst place to carry it, so as you age, if you gain more weight, you might have higher health risks than someone who carries weight in her hips and thighs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    sssgilbe wrote: »
    I have a friend who was pushing supplements at me, $300 a month. I finally asked her for a list of ingredients (caffeine and a boatload of herbs) then told her my doctor, reviewing my history, doesn't want me to take unregulated, non-prescription pills. We're still friends but she can't understand how I'm losing weight faster than she is without using her product.

The doctor excuse is a good one to get yourself out of the HL scheme. Any decent doctor is going to tell you not to put mystery products in your body.

This article will explain the pressure she is getting from Herbal Life to keep you as a customer and develop you into another seller.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2016/05/the_government_is_finally_closing_in_on_herbalife_herbalife_will_fight_back.html

Good read; thanks for sharing.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If this 'life coach' really cared about you, she'd be encouraging you to eat balanced, nutritious meals at a small calorie deficit (500-700 calories a day) and to take the weight off slowly. She would not be railing on you about your body fat percentage. Your body fat percentage actually is on the high end of the "acceptable" scale, and you're working to reduce it. So, good for you. Someone who really cares about you and your health would be encouraging you to keep it up. This person just wants to intimidate you into buying more of that Herbalife crap. And, yes, it is crap.

Eating real food in a calorie controlled diet is always going to be more effective and more enjoyable than slurping down a shake and starving until you can have another. I find the sheer number of ingredients concerning, and this is reason enough for me to avoid the shakes. And with fructose being second on the list of the product's ingredients and only 9 grams of protein, that means you'll feel full at first, then have a crash once your body has processed all that sugar. Additionally, there are only 3 grams of dietary fiber in Herbalife’s shakes. Again, this is on the low side. Protein and fiber are the main components of a protein shake that are supposed to make you feel full, and while cutting down on the protein will mean that the shakes are lower calorie, lower calories don't mean much if the shakes don't keep you full. And why the heck does a weight loss shake contain 9 grams of sugar?! Sure, the sugar makes it taste good, but it also is quite damaging to the body.

Ditch the Herbalife, and if you feel you must replace meals with a shake, use a whey protein shake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What supplements are you even taking because there are only a few proven supplements: protein powder, creatine, caffeine, beta alanine and basic vitamins and minerals.

None of which actually help with weight loss and more importantly, even at cost you can get all of these for 1/2 the price you are currently oaying for and better quality.

Even then, literally the last thing that should be considered is supplements. What is more important is calories, macronutrients, micronutrients, timing of nutrients and training.

So Id ask yourself why you are taking these supplements?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Think carefully - were you relaxing your stomach or even pushing it out when you took that photo?

I'm wondering if the Herbalife "coach" made you feel crap and you acted out on it.