Thoughts on daily weigh in

Options
13»

Replies

• sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Your body has its own pattern for losing weight and only daily weigh-ins will show it to you. I drop 2 lbs, slowly gain back 1+, then suddenly drop another 2 over a 10 day period, for an average (according to Libra) of 1.4 pounds a week. Weekly weighing would miss this.

Try daily weighing and tracking on your HS ap and I'll bet you'll see your own pattern within 2-3 months.

If you also use the Check-In and Report features on MFP, look at the 90 day chart. That will put your loss into perspective with your starting point. When you hit 90 days, start looking at the 180 day chart.
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I weigh myself, naked and unafraid, every morning right after i visit the bathroom.

The unafraid piece is something I feel gets overlooked when discussing daily weighing. Whenever someone posts about having anxiety and/or frustration over their weekly or monthly weigh-ins one of the first comments is almost invariably to weigh less frequently to hypothetically show more difference between each measurement and thus make it more encouraging experience. However, I think this continues to foster the event-based attitude towards hopping on the scale; if weight is recorded daily this action becomes habit/routine, the noisy nature of the data is more apparent and the subsequent anxiety of weighing should subside in days or weeks instead of months of infrequent scale use.

You are very wise.

Every morning when I step on the scale I tell myself, "It's just a data point, it's just a data point, it's just a data point." Then I can forget about it. Weekly weighings were 6 days of stress for me waiting for the 7th day of judgment, then celebration or despair depending on the results. Daily weighing and Libra's trend line keeps me on an even keel.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I ordinarily weigh daily, but lately I've been skipping the weigh in because it's so cold in my garage where I keep my scale. It's one of the huge, old-school doctor scales, and too big and ugly for the bathroom.
  • Angie_au
    Angie_au Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sssgilbe wrote: »

You are very wise.

Every morning when I step on the scale I tell myself, "It's just a data point, it's just a data point, it's just a data point." Then I can forget about it. Weekly weighings were 6 days of stress for me waiting for the 7th day of judgment, then celebration or despair depending on the results. Daily weighing and Libra's trend line keeps me on an even keel.

Yes that used to be me exactly! That’s why I’m going to try daily now :smiley:
  • Angie_au
    Angie_au Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Overwhelmed by the number of responses overnight! Thanks everyone! I’m not going to let the numbers discourage me but rather motivate me to keep going and I’m interested to see the data from recording daily. I think the most important check for me is whether I’m eating within my calorie limit. Coz if calorie in<calorie out then I should lose weight right! :blush: