what is the point in exercising?

Options

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Excercise makes your muscles stronger and more flexible so you don't break your ankle because your damn leg just decided not to bother working right one day. Or your other foots plantar decides to snap because it was too taut. Or have your damn arm,shoulder and chest muscles get massive cramps just because you moved a little weird.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for your future--my husband calls it "our insurance policy for old age" a friend of ours said "I want to die healthy". As you age, even if you're thin, health problems creep up. It's easier to work with them if you're in decent physical shape. It's the best thing you can do for yourself. I hope you love yourself enough to overcome your dislike of exercise.

YES! There are exceptions...but often once my patients are about 55-60 you really separate who is active and who is not. Those that are tend to be pretty fit and lean, they don't often have pain issues (minus autoimmune or occasional over-training injuries), they don't often need joint replacements, they usually don't have circulation issues, cholesterol/pressure issues, diabetes, etc. I have quite a few patients in their late 60s and early 70s who could probably have run laps around me in my 20s and they seem like they have more energy than me too.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    In addition to the many valid reasons listed above - I find that being active (doesn't even have to be strenuous exercise - just keeping moving) helps support my overall healthy lifestyle because it's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. When I first joined MFP, I was guilty of moving/logging exercise just so I could eat more calories. But before long, I realized that I really wanted to go to the gym, or wanted to be outside, or wanted to lift some things - and the extra calories were a bit of a bonus, but they also provided me energy and enjoyment which in turn made me want to do the active things.

Inertia is tough to overcome - whether you fall ill, become injured, fatigued, too busy to exercise - it becomes difficult to obtain the activation energy again to get moving and get back into an exercise routine. But once it is part of your regular routine, disruption in that routine can be really frustrating as well.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    Exercise is for your future--my husband calls it "our insurance policy for old age" a friend of ours said "I want to die healthy". As you age, even if you're thin, health problems creep up. It's easier to work with them if you're in decent physical shape. It's the best thing you can do for yourself. I hope you love yourself enough to overcome your dislike of exercise.

YES! There are exceptions...but often once my patients are about 55-60 you really separate who is active and who is not. Those that are tend to be pretty fit and lean, they don't often have pain issues (minus autoimmune or occasional over-training injuries), they don't often need joint replacements, they usually don't have circulation issues, cholesterol/pressure issues, diabetes, etc. I have quite a few patients in their late 60s and early 70s who could probably have run laps around me in my 20s and they seem like they have more energy than me too.

I would like to add that I'm 63 and my husband is 64. We've been exercising for a long time. We see alot of people that are newly retired and start up at our pool,and gym. Frankly, it's a little late. They waited until they have the time, but muscle takes time to develop. Don't wait, start young.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise helps with eating in a better healthier way.

Cal counting/dieting alone is not enough for my weightloss efforts. Without exercise, I need to call upon a lot of willpower and discipline to eat properly. Without exercise, I am eating a 1L tub of icecream in one sitting, or a whole pizza, or a whole bag of chips and then some. (Unfortunately, NOT exaggerating).

I overeat less when I exercise. Exercising regularly makes those junk foods above become unappealing. When I exercise regularly, my body craves food which will nourish it. I find I don't want chips or cake, not because I'm telling myself it's not in my calorie budget, but because I simply just don't want them. Instead, I start to crave more vegetables and whole foods, and less additives. Which makes it a whole lot easier to stay in calorie goal.

That's my number one reason for exercising. I need exercise to supplement my diet choices. When I stop exercising, I stop caring about the food I put in my mouth.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Slasher09 I've been around these message boards for three years and this is one of the most inspiring posts I've read. I'd like to send you a friend request if you don't mind.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    echastee92 wrote: »
    I need some motivation because my calorie goal is already as low as it gets. If I exercise, I technically should just be eating more, but then it makes exercise feel pointless. I need to get out of this mindset so I thought maybe some of you educated exercise folks could hit me with some good ol facts to help me see the point in exercise! I know it has benefits and it's good for you but can someone help me understand how it's going to help aid in my weight loss? I keep talking myself out of it. I've been doing a real good job without it I just wonder how much better I could be doing with it...

If you are already eating the bare minimum, eating back exercise calories means you get to eat more food. I mean, for me, that's pretty cut and dry :lol: . Cardio strengthens your heart and can increase endurance, resistance training helps you maintain your muscles so you don't risk looking like a wet noodle when you get to goal weight. Exercise is awesome stress relief. And there's a use it or lose it component, the more you move, the easier it is to move. The more you do, the more you want to do, at least for some of us.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. And while it can help you achieve higher calorie burns, the main reason people do it is to improve they physiques and cardiovascular fitness.
    Trust when I tell you that you don't want to be that senior later in life having a hunched over look and major issue with your joints, balance and lack of strength to just get out of chair without assistance. How do I know? Because a lot of former clients came in for these reasons.
    Don't WAIT. Age comes on faster than you think and it only gets HARDER if your body isn't physically conditioned to begin with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I get 1200 calories a day if I want to have a beer or anything greasy and yummy I need to work for it, as long as I stay at the proper deficit
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone else has said, weight-bearing activity increases bone density, which is incredibly important for women. That might not mean anything to you yet, but it becomes more important as we age.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise helps with eating in a better healthier way.

to this i'll add that exercising puts food into context for me. i'm not on any e.d. spectrum as far as i know, but i i have always had a pretty cavalier sort of relationship with it. lots of 'meh', and i've always treated food as if it was something you could do or not do based on whether you felt like it. as if it had nothing to do with anything beyond that.

i had a roommate in college 30 years ago who told me just recently 'you didn't eat bad food, was the weird thing. you just didn't seem like you cared about it.' and he was right; i mostly didn't. it was more like a nuisance like making beds than a really meaningful thing to me.

so i've really enjoyed the way lifting in particular tightens up my ideas of cause and effect. you lift, you get hungry. you get hungry, you eat. you eat, you go back and lift the next day. it's like dohhh, now this food thing makes sense.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

@Slasher09 I've been around these message boards for three years and this is one of the most inspiring posts I've read. I'd like to send you a friend request if you don't mind.

No problem! And thanks!

Everyone always jokes that the "secret" is don't turn 50. We would hear it so much the doctor and I (I'm 29, she's 36) would talk about how these people are TERRIFYING to us. And 3/4 of everyone diagnosed with health issues that affect their quality of life wish they started even 5 years ago
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If it helps you with the motivation to not feel like you are "wasting your time", try eating back half. That way you get to enjoy some extra calories while also getting the benefits of exercise, and you can feel like you are getting a bonus.

Exercise doesn't have to be hours on the treadmill, try a dance/zumba class or hiking, swimming, etc. Any activity is more than sitting on the couch!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    In addition to what everyone else has said, weight-bearing activity increases bone density, which is incredibly important for women. That might not mean anything to you yet, but it becomes more important as we age.

You beat me too it. My 80 year old mother is skinny, active, and generally healthy, but wishes she'd started strength training decades earlier.

On the plus side for me, she gave me her snow shoes because she was worried about falling in them.

I should be snow shoeing for the first time this winter tomorrow, woo hoo!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    echastee92 wrote: »
    I need some motivation because my calorie goal is already as low as it gets. If I exercise, I technically should just be eating more, but then it makes exercise feel pointless. I need to get out of this mindset so I thought maybe some of you educated exercise folks could hit me with some good ol facts to help me see the point in exercise! I know it has benefits and it's good for you but can someone help me understand how it's going to help aid in my weight loss? I keep talking myself out of it. I've been doing a real good job without it I just wonder how much better I could be doing with it...

I don't love exercise. It is kind of like brushing my teeth. It feels better in the long run to the alternative.
    I do it because it is more fun to eat 1400 calories than 1200.
    It helps me manage stress.
    If I exercise my family is encouraged to be more active too.
    The idea of walking 1.5 miles to walk to an appointment would have been really tough for me before but now it is normal. I like that it is normal to walk a couple of miles every day.
    Stronger, more flexible, better balance are nice perks of moving more.
    I tend to be more productive if I am sitting less.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'd kill people if I didn't exercise. It's a major stress reliever for me and brings balance to my life. I also love to see how strong I can get, how fast or far I can run, how many pull ups I can do and I love how my body looks in and out of clothes (massively narcissistic but never mind)
    It is part of my life, it is a habit and I honestly don't know what to do with an evening without an hour doing something.
    I have plenty of variety in my regieme. I have an hour with a PT. Play netball once a week, run once or twice a week, yoga at home once a week and 3 CrossFit sessions (fitness addict) plus walking the dog twice a day.
    Once you find something you love exercise is easy and there doesn't need to be a greater purpose other than it generally enhances your life.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    This is what exercise can help with. :)

fat-vs-muscle-woman-transformation.jpg?w=936

OMG! This is so my goal. Do you mind if I PM you and ask for some pointers on recomp?
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    This is what exercise can help with. :)

fat-vs-muscle-woman-transformation.jpg?w=936

Holy *kitten*, you got hot!

;)