Winter is coming...

Options
13»

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Cleats.

Seriously, a friend thats been an avid runner for years slipped on a small patch of ice while running earlier this year and broke his ankle. He was in a cast and then a walking boot for months.

They also make these ice tread chain things you can put over your shoes, or you can google "screw shoes winter running" for tutorials how to use little screws and turn an old pair of running shoes in to ice chomping beasts.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    The only thing that keeps me inside on the dreadmill is freezing rain; it's not a big deal to dress properly to run outside in almost all winter conditions.

If it's >40F, I'm in shorts... 40-50F I'm likely in a thin long sleeved tech T instead of a short-sleeved tech T (51-65) or tank top (>66).

When it's 30-40F, I'll wear capris and a slightly thicker long sleeved tech T; if it's windy, I'll throw on a thin windbreaking vest. Probably will throw on some thin running gloves if it's windy, too.

20-30F, running tights, the slightly thicker long sleeved tech T, and a thin windbreaking running jacket; some thin running gloves and a polarfleece headband to keep my ears warm.

<20 - running tights, the slightly thicker long sleeved tech T, and a slightly warmer running jacket; also some slightly thicker gloves and either my polarfleece headband or (last resort) a polarfleece running hat. (ETA: where I live, it very, very rarely gets below 15F with windchill.)

You may find this a helpful site as the temperatures change: www.whattoweartool.com - it's Runners' World's online tool to help you determine what you should be running in under given weather conditions.

Happy (year-round) running! :flowerforyou:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Layers of wicking materials, and something to break the wind. I run outside down to -20C (approx -4F).

My local running store sells great light-weight items that kept me warm all winter. But there's nothing you can do to keep your eyelids warm, so I give up at -20.

Sunglasses help a lot, but ski goggles really work. It all depends on how OK with looking like a goofball you are.

too dark for sunglasses. I don't mind looking like a goofball, but I find that goggles just fog up on me.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Depends where you live I guess! I wear a parka, huge boots, mittens, scarf and toque! It can be -40C with the windchill.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    image.png

edit to add: 972053_651105951574937_316102304_n.jpg
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Here in Houston, you can run in a bikini in January.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I wear shorts until it gets below about 40 degrees, then I switch to pants or tights. I have some nice thick thermal tights that have kept me warm while running in 15 degree temps; I don't think I've run anywhere colder than that. For up top I'll switch to long sleeves once it gets down into the 50s - I like the thermal, waffle knit shirts. And I have a nice cold weather running jacket. Wool gloves and a headband to keep my ears from freezing off when it gets really cold - and a gaiter neck for those extra special days when it dips down into the 20s or below.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Sweats, a tight long sleeve under armor shirt and a sweater.
  • MyFriendLinn
    MyFriendLinn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Me too..............King Robb is dead....hate to even think about it.

Big GoT fan
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The only thing that keeps me inside on the dreadmill is freezing rain; it's not a big deal to dress properly to run outside in almost all winter conditions.

If it's >40F, I'm in shorts... 40-50F I'm likely in a thin long sleeved tech T instead of a short-sleeved tech T (51-65) or tank top (>66).

When it's 30-40F, I'll wear capris and a slightly thicker long sleeved tech T; if it's windy, I'll throw on a thin windbreaking vest. Probably will throw on some thin running gloves if it's windy, too.

20-30F, running tights, the slightly thicker long sleeved tech T, and a thin windbreaking running jacket; some thin running gloves and a polarfleece headband to keep my ears warm.

<20 - running tights, the slightly thicker long sleeved tech T, and a slightly warmer running jacket; also some slightly thicker gloves and either my polarfleece headband or (last resort) a polarfleece running hat. (ETA: where I live, it very, very rarely gets below 15F with windchill.)

You may find this a helpful site as the temperatures change: www.whattoweartool.com - it's Runners' World's online tool to help you determine what you should be running in under given weather conditions.

Happy (year-round) running! :flowerforyou:

This is great! Thank you!
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Me too..............King Robb is dead....hate to even think about it.

Big GoT fan

I read the books, so I knew it was coming. I can't even count how many times I threw those books across the room and swore I would never read another!
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm in Florida so I'll put on shorts and a sports bra and be thrilled to be running outside again! Come December I might throw a shirt on :happy: