Started jogging --- and no weight loss

Options
124»

Replies

• WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    The OP doesn’t have a thyroid issue..,she said so a few pages back?

Anyway, the reason I recommend opening your diary isn’t so people can bash or judge you, but just see if there’s something amiss. I’ve seen people open their diaries and had it pointed out that their entry for their protein powder was way off and since they had scanned the label they never thought twice about it. I know for myself I eat these individual serving size type things and it wasn’t until recently that I started weighing them to see they were actually more like 1.5 servings, sometimes the difference of hundreds of calories. Thankfully, I never had trouble losing weight, but if I had maybe someone would’ve pointed it out to me sooner.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    OP your BMR might be affected by any number of conditions, since you won't be able to dip below 1200 calories on a given day I would highly suggest getting a heart rate monitor to accurately calculate your calorie burn so that you know you're not under exercising and overeating your exercise calories.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Friendly reminder to stay on track in the help threads, responses need to stay focused on the questions of the OP. If you find yourself interested in debating a specific point brought up by another user you are always welcome to start your own new thread, the debate section is wonderful for this!

If you would like to continue the discussion on meal timing brought up here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10628379/meal-timing-debate

If you would like to continue the discussion on hormone imbalances and weight loss:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10628381/hormone-imbalances-and-weight-loss

Thanks for your cooperation,
    4legs
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I just realized I am using a different account then usual to post this. Welppp.

Goal weight is 145lbs. Height is 5 foot 3.

I am doing squats (up to 40), push-ups (30) and sit ups (30). This beginning from 0. I jog for 10-20 minutes then walk an additional 30 at a 3.5mph pace. I track distance jogged with time.

No one commented on this. You are only running 1-2 miles and walking about 1.7. That doesn't actually burn all that many calories. It's a good start, but 200 or so calories a day takes time before it will result in noticeable weight loss. If you eat extra after your workouts, you may be eating back all the calories you burned.

This seems like the best explanation @Seattlegirl25 .

Are you using Myfitnesspal's exercise calorie estimator to estimate calorie burn, and then eating those calories back? If so, that might be your problem.

The estimates the MFP app gives you for calorie burn for running/walking is usually WAY TOO HIGH. For example, MFP claims that if I run at 6 miles/hour for 50 minutes (so 5 miles) I will burn 630 calories.

How, this article from Runner'ss World tells me to calculate it differently, using the forumla .63 * (body weight in pounds) * miles run. So, according to this formula, I'm actually only burning 519 calories in a 5-mile run.

So you could be overestimating your calories burned and then eating too much back, negating your deficit. Try the calculations in the article I linked and see if that makes a difference.

If you're not eating back your exercise calories then there's something else going on.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Genetics will not prevent someone from losing weight if a deficit is present, medical conditions will not prevent someone from losing weight if a deficit is present.
    If she's not losing weight there is no deficit present. Her BMR might be making it difficult for her to achieve that deficit but it's still the only thing she needs to lose weight.
    And yes it is that simple, it's not easy but it is simple.

Not necessarily true. Take for instance Hypothyroidism (extreme cases). I was working out and eating at a defecit and gained over 100lbs in 4.5 months. It wasn't until I was finally diagnosed and after years of getting my levels right that I was able to start losing weight again. And even with that being said, there are some intolerances I have that mess up my levels even on the medication (ie: soy). Just saying.

Seattlegirl25 -

Things I would try:

1. Change up your workout routine. Our bodies get used to routines very quickly, and those exercises won't do the same things for us anymore. Do you belong to a gym? Variations include new leg, arm, abdomen exercises and I would change up monthly. It targets different muscle groups, which in turn will help burn more calories. Also changing up your cardio. Start doing the stairmaster or the elliptical. You are working your body in different ways, which will stimulate weight loss in most cases

3. Add more water to your diet... a big thing (as others have mentioned) is water weight. How do you get rid of excess water weight? Drinking more water. I would strive for a gallon a day, if you are active.

5. Try changing up your diet. I just started Keto, and it's going great so far.

7. Test more than just your metabolic rate... Make sure you get some full panels done. There are lots of disorders that can cause weight gain, which could be what is happening only oyu are still buring calories and at a defecit, so you see no change.

9. Keep track of your measurements. You may be gaining muscle and therefore not seeing the scale move, but you're still losing inches.

Keep in mind the body fluctuates in weight up to and sometimes over 10lbs per day due to water weight. This is normal.

Also, make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time every day. If possible, first thing in the morning after you pee.

I hope this helps!!!

I may have a long way to go myself but I used to run bootcamps and do personal training back before my thyroid issues came about. It has been a whole new game for me. But I am educated on a lot of this.

Feel free to add me :) Good luck!

It may have seemed like this, but this is pure confirmation bias with no scientific foundation.

100 lbs x 3500 kcals / 120 days = 2917 surplus calories/daily. Gaining weight at this rate would require you to eat an additional 2917 calories each day.

Thyroid, in the most extreme cases modifies Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) by ~5% from clinical observation. That is 80 kcals/day out of a 1600 kcal/day calorie budget.

• loulouowens
    loulouowens Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    All i can say is ive been there

Started jogging and was eating 100% right, weight didnt move for 6 weeks then all of a sudden -7lb! Yay
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I discovered my metabolism is a bit low -- I did a metabolic resting test and found it was at 1,300 calories. Which is a bit low for me (163lbs). But I haven't been able to drop weight for six months, not a pound will come off. I weigh my food and vegetables are my co-pilot.

I think these tests can be off, and it might be worth having it done again, but assuming it is okay and you are aiming for 1200, that's a small deficit and can easily be off due to common logging errors -- and must be, if you have had your RMR tested and are eating below it and not losing. Thus, one option would be to open your diary and get some pointers from experienced and successful loggers.

If not comfortable with that, you could ask some friends here to look at it.
    She suggested I start doing some intense exercise and weight training. Done and done.
    I began exercising more religiously (3-4 times a week) last week, continue with tracking my calories and all that jazz. I gained a pound or so. At this point I am about to tear out my hair. I am doing everything correctly and no matter what happens, nothing comes off.
    Anyway... my question is how soon after starting a new exercise regime do you usually see results?

Sometimes when you start something new you gain water weight, as others said. I'd give it more time than a week, for sure. Also, obviously, TOM can affect weight fluctuations.

Stress can also mess with weight loss, so one thing I'd suggest if you are working with a doctor anyway, is to set some non scale goals and stop stressing about the scale for a few weeks. Keep logging and sticking to calories, but focus on an exercise goal or eating goal or I dunno, whatever you know will positively affect health and you have complete control over.

I was convinced I could not lose weight at one point (I was wrong) so just decided I would be as healthy as possible no matter what and set fitness goals. I did lose weight, but I think that really helped my frame of mind and feeling of control.
    I am doing squats (up to 40), push-ups (30) and sit ups (30). This beginning from 0. I jog for 10-20 minutes then walk an additional 30 at a 3.5mph pace. I track distance jogged with time.

This is great, but likely is not burning a lot of calories. Probably about 200. So even with the new exercise you are going to have to be super careful with calories, and may want to find other ways to increase overall TDEE. One option is just walking more throughout the day -- do you track steps at all?
  • purpleannex
    purpleannex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I started running 13 years ago, I wasn't that overweight so I didn't change my diet. With this in mind it took around two years of running 40 miles a week to change shape and "feel like a runner".

Running is great exercise, but it isn't a cure all. Later, when started to take my running more seriously, I wanted to improve my marathon times, I was running 70 miles a week but I didn't lose a single lb.

It was only by strictly counting calories that I ever managed to get close to a goal weight.
  • ally0015
    ally0015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stanman571-

Also true but not everyone wants a 3 hour gym session when doing cardio and resistance in the same day. Interval training just increases the intensity but does cut down the time meaning that you can burn just as many if not more calories as if you had done a longer steady state session.

Yes your rest is important but the duration between each set depends on what you are trying to acheive