The odds of long-term weight loss success

Options

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way, of all the people you know who’ve ever lost any weight, how many have kept it off forever? I bet it’s not even 1 in 10. There are lots of positive role models here on MFP! Let all those who regained be your motivation to keep on track.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight using MFP and exercising in March of last year and lost about 30 lbs by September, then I gave myself a break and maintained, plus the 4 or 5 weeks leading up to Christmas I really indulged (on purpose) and put on 4 lbs. Right after the holidays I stepped up exercising and eating at a deficit again without any problems. I was worried that once I get off the deficit and maintain for a while, it would be really hard to get on the deficit again, so that came as a pleasant surprise. I'm about halfway to my goal weight, and I am somewhat confident that I can achieve this and will be able to maintain afterwards. But then, I know so many people who lost weight and weren't able to keep it off, plus the forums here are full of people who do this for the umpteenth time, that it makes me wonder whether I am too optimistic?
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I don't think maintaining is very difficult. If you made it through the weight loss, now you get to eat more.

Three people marked this woo. Who thinks eating more is harder than eating less?

I would not say it is harder eating more, but I have found that it is easier to eat too much if I allow myself to not be strict on my food plan. I also wanted to comment on the post talking about making lifestyle changes. I never had, and really still do not have, a specific weight goal. What has worked for me is eating in a specific calorie range and exercising. In the past 3 years I have had some gains. I think the most was 20 lbs on vacation. I do not get worked up when I gain weight. I know what I have allowed myself to eat too much and the scale shows it.
    I also am working on not allowing myself to go overboard on "special occasions". I am at a point where I am comfortable with my weight and I have a range that I do not want to go over. For me this is still a learning process.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Once you know, you can't unknow and it's really hard to fail.

Just want to say, I really like this line. I don't think it necessarily prevents a person from lapsing back into overeating, but in my own case, I know I am confronted with having to make a conscious decision every time I overeat, because I know the calories involved from years of experience logging and know how much is too much for my body. No excuses.
  • gracegettingittogether
    Options

Eating more is definitely easier than eating less, however, I personally find maintenance requires more effort than the weight loss phase. It's not exciting to see the scale stay the same; it's years later and no one compliments your accomplishments; motivation has waned (probably several times lol) but you keep on keeping on. It's definitely not more difficult from a physiological standpoint but from a psychological one I find it tiring and requiring more effort and discipline than the weight loss stage.
    [/quote]

Maybe this is why losing weight slowly is helpful for maintaining. Because when it's really slow, you have to keep putting in the daily effort, with few to none compliments and visible results. Hmm, helpful!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I don't think maintaining is very difficult. If you made it through the weight loss, now you get to eat more.

Yes, but many approach weight loss as a short-term project and once the weight is gone, or they've achieved a significant amount of loss, they slowly (or quickly) ease back into the bad habits that got them there in the first place.

this
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Most of the people I know (I know, I know, anecdotal but it's all I have) that understand thermodynamics don't gain back, or stop themselves earlier when they creep up past a comfortable limit. Once you know, you can't unknow and it's really hard to fail.

I know plenty of folks from way back, 15 or more years, who understand weight loss quite well, have taken classes in it, some of whom have advanced degrees in various medical arts. . .they have as much trouble with maintaining weight loss as anyone else.

I don't doubt your anecdotal experience, but it may well be that the people you know who are maintaining are a self-selecting group with a requirement of 1. Knowledge and 2. keeping their weight off. Folks who don't have both requirements may, very quietly, fall out of communication because they have failed to fulfill requirement #2.

I only say this because I've seen it happen in many a message board and Facebook group, so the appearance is that everyone is doing X, when really, the folks who aren't doing X have absented themselves quietly.

Also, something else to think about - a very positive thing - one of the few things I've seen across the board in studies trying to find out WHO maintains weight loss, is that strong support really raises the probability of one keeping weight loss off. Good, strong support is, by definition, likely to include a LOT of knowledge.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There are 2 very long term studies with large samples that are very tightly controlled and considered gold mines of information that include work on diet and weight. They're called the Nurse's Studies (They're currently recruiting for #3, btw. . .)

In 2011, some of the results of study #2 were published. The findings are for 121K people over 20 years. It involves self-assessment surveys, but the surveys were cross-checked against independent observations to ensure validity.

It doesn't directly address the very narrow question about who keeps off weight loss, but it does address the question why people gain weight. (The charts are amazing.) It's really useful for thinking about weight and gain and how to maintain at a particular weight.

nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1014296#t=article