Advice Please!

Options

Replies

• spechtmi
    spechtmi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Generally a guy wants to be at least 15% before bulking, 20% is too high.

The OP might find it useful to check out RP (Renaissance Periodization), but the meal timings on that program might be an issue for him.
  • jbean1990
    jbean1990 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    jbean1990 wrote: »
    So would you recommend going into a deficit for a while and then aiming to build muscle?

That would be my suggestion. Not a steep deficit, just a small one to reduce body fat percentage.

What’s the best way to cut body fat?

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If I aim for 250kcal extra per day, should I eat back exercise calories?

Looking at your pictures you shouldn't be eating extra calories. You're still carrying too much body fat to gain weight. Stick to a deficit for a bit or even maintenance.

I dont see where OP has a lot of body fat maybe the midsection area sure. but the rest doesnt look like a lot. not arguing with you I just dont see where its too much to gain weight. he is 6ft and 192 lbs. but ultimately its his choice and maybe a recomp would be the best thing at the moment.

His bodyfat is easily in the 20-22% range, regardless of his weight. Bulking at high bodyfat levels isn't a good idea because you're more likely to put on fat than muscle. Read the part about p-ratio here.

I know bulking puts on bodyfat,but wouldnt 20-22% be in the normal ranges or no? I also thought the more fat you had would help to gain muscle a bit easier as the fat is used for energy since its stored? or is that wrong?

Are you thinking of bodyfat in women maybe? But @usmcmp explained it well... Bulking at higher bodyfat typically leads to more fat gain
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Looking at your pictures you shouldn't be eating extra calories. You're still carrying too much body fat to gain weight. Stick to a deficit for a bit or even maintenance.

I dont see where OP has a lot of body fat maybe the midsection area sure. but the rest doesnt look like a lot. not arguing with you I just dont see where its too much to gain weight. he is 6ft and 192 lbs. but ultimately its his choice and maybe a recomp would be the best thing at the moment.

His bodyfat is easily in the 20-22% range, regardless of his weight. Bulking at high bodyfat levels isn't a good idea because you're more likely to put on fat than muscle. Read the part about p-ratio here.

I know bulking puts on bodyfat,but wouldnt 20-22% be in the normal ranges or no? I also thought the more fat you had would help to gain muscle a bit easier as the fat is used for energy since its stored? or is that wrong?

Are you thinking of bodyfat in women maybe? But @usmcmp explained it well... Bulking at higher bodyfat typically leads to more fat gain

no im not thinking of women. and someone already said that that amount for men is in the normal range.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

no im not thinking of women. and someone already said that that amount for men is in the normal range.

Correct
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-06_at_3.20.38_PM_grande.png

Just because it's average or normal doesn't put it as a good starting point concerning fitness. This is just a health index for the average person. For what the OP is saying he is looking for recomp would have some initial visual improvements, but then little to no obvious improvement for a few years after that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Correct
    Screen_Shot_2016-04-06_at_3.20.38_PM_grande.png

Just because it's average or normal doesn't put it as a good starting point concerning fitness. This is just a health index for the average person. For what the OP is saying he is looking for recomp would have some initial visual improvements, but then little to no obvious improvement for a few years after that.

thanks for the info. even after 3 years Im still learning things.
  • jbean1990
    Options
    natester15 wrote: »
    I would not recommend a calorie deficit. You can reduce your body fat % and still gain muscle but timing is important. It’s about keeping your body in an anabolic state. When your body is in an anabolic state it is using fat for energy and it’s building muscle. If you are not in an anabolic state you are catabolic, which is storing fat and burning muscle for energy. Just eat clean-ish the cleaner the better and make sure you have a protein source every 2-3 hours whether or not it comes from a shake or a meal. And make sure you are in a calorie surplus.

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to go fully clean, and eating/having a shake every 3 hours or so but then from what people have said I thought it was a bad idea. What do you mean by keep my body in an anabolic State?

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would not recommend a calorie deficit. You can reduce your body fat % and still gain muscle but timing is important. It’s about keeping your body in an anabolic state. When your body is in an anabolic state it is using fat for energy and it’s building muscle. If you are not in an anabolic state you are catabolic, which is storing fat and burning muscle for energy. Just eat clean-ish the cleaner the better and make sure you have a protein source every 2-3 hours whether or not it comes from a shake or a meal. And make sure you are in a calorie surplus.

That is not how the body works. The body utilizes fat and glycogen well before muscle. Hell, converting amino acids to glucose is very metabolically taxing. So its unlikely to burn muscle for energy.
  • jbean1990
    Options
    What is a good way to lose fat without losing muscle?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

That's not how it works.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Normal sure, ready to bulk no. Eta: unless OP was close to or underweight
  • jbean1990
    Options
    Would setting MFP to losing 1lb per week be too much?
  • jbean1990
    Options
    Or should I go for 2lbs?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Or should I go for 2lbs?

Small deficit = slow rate of loss. The smaller the deficit the higher the chance of adding some muscle as you slowly lose fat, with a big deficit and you have next to no chance of adding muscle. I had to come right down to 1lb/month loss when I was fine tuning things (losing 2lb of fat and gaining 1lb of lean mass a month) but I was twice your age with loads of training years. As you are young'ish and new to training 1lb/week would probably work (at least initially). If that impacts your training performance or recovery you could go to half a pound a week.

Don't make something simple more complex for no good reason.
    It's not special foods, eliminating foods or particular timing of food that matter.
    Concentrate on the big ticket items:
    Really good training, good recovery, small deficit, good overall diet including adequate protein.

Can't emphasise enough that it all starts with your training, that starts the process - diet supports it.

Don't be one of those (mostly) young men flitting aimlessly around the gym with a protein shaker in their hand and doing a crappy workout! :)
  • jbean1990
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Or should I go for 2lbs?

Small deficit = slow rate of loss. The smaller the deficit the higher the chance of adding some muscle as you slowly lose fat, with a big deficit and you have next to no chance of adding muscle. I had to come right down to 1lb/month loss when I was fine tuning things (losing 2lb of fat and gaining 1lb of lean mass a month) but I was twice your age with loads of training years. As you are young'ish and new to training 1lb/week would probably work (at least initially). If that impacts your training performance or recovery you could go to half a pound a week.

It's not special foods, eliminating foods or particular timing of food that matter.
    Really good training, good recovery, small deficit, good overall diet including adequate protein.

Can't emphasise enough that it all starts with your training, that starts the process - diet supports it.

Don't be one of those (mostly) young men flitting aimlessly around the gym with a protein shaker in their hand and doing a crappy workout! :)

Thanks! I’m meeting the trainer on Weds to design a program. Anything specific I should be asking/telling him? I think I’ll go for 1lb per week initially and see if I need to decrease it

• jbean1990
    Options
    Also, what should I do in terms of eating back exercise calories?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, what should I do in terms of eating back exercise calories?

I'd transition to the TDEE method, where you eat the same amount of calories and monitor weight loss over a 2 to 4 week period. There are plenty of TDEE calculators online, like fitnessfrog, where you can get an estimate of calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Or should I go for 2lbs?

Thanks! I’m meeting the trainer on Weds to design a program. Anything specific I should be asking/telling him? I think I’ll go for 1lb per week initially and see if I need to decrease it

A word of caution - not all trainers are the same. Entry level PT qualifications aren't very demanding and what you want may not be your trainer's speciality (ask them!). e.g. at my gym there's PTs who are bodybuilders, powerlifters, semi pro cyclists, semi pro rugby players, crossfitters.....
    I wouldn't ask the 300lb powerlifter how to improve my one hour bicycle time trial speed. :smile:

Be really clear about your goals, ask to be taught the big compound lifts as a minimum, they are the foundation of your training. It's perfectly OK to pick a program designed by an expert (see list already posted) and ask your PT for help in how to follow it.

Eating back exercise calories - yes. But that doesn't have to be the MyFitnessPal style, it can also be wrapped up into your daily goal using the TDEE method. Personal preference and remember your long term weight change is your best guide to balancing out all the many estimates involved.