Advice Please!

Options
13»

Replies

• jbean1990
    jbean1990 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So here's my breakdown for tomorrow and Tuesday, any feedback is appreciated! MFP suggests I need 1700kcal per day that includes a 500kcal deficit lose 2lbs per week, which after a few weeks I'll change to 1lbs per week.

My macros are:
    Protein - 192g
    Carbs - 122g
    Fat - 46g

Monday
    Breakfast - Oats & Skimmed Milk (182kcal/27.4 carbs/3.9 fat/8.2 protein)
    Lunch - Chicken Fillet, Paprika Seasoning, Broccoli & Mung Bean Fettuccine (406kcal/8 carbs/10.3 fat/63.8 protein)
    Dinner - Brown Rice & Chilli (485kcal/60.9 carbs/8 fat/40 protein)
    Snacks - Protein Bar (218kcal/16.9 carbs/8 fat/20.3 protein)
    Workout - Running Club (60 mins/8km) - Slow Pace

Totals:
    1291kcal/122 carbs/31 fat/130 protein/ 28 sugar/17 fiber)

Obviously this is below my target - what more can I eat?! I'm thinking of having another chicken fillet for a snack after running club. I'm also thinking I'm going to need protein shakes to up my protein intake and calories?

I'm a fussy eater and don't eat egg or fish, so any tips? On Tuesday I;m meeting my trainer and will discuss and decide on a workout plan.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    jbean1990 wrote: »
    So here's my breakdown for tomorrow and Tuesday, any feedback is appreciated! MFP suggests I need 1700kcal per day that includes a 500kcal deficit lose 2lbs per week, which after a few weeks I'll change to 1lbs per week.

My macros are:
    Protein - 192g
    Carbs - 122g
    Fat - 46g

Monday
    Lunch - Chicken Fillet, Paprika Seasoning, Broccoli & Mung Bean Fettuccine (406kcal/8 carbs/10.3 fat/63.8 protein)

Totals:

Obviously this is below my target - what more can I eat?! I'm thinking of having another chicken fillet for a snack after running club. I'm also thinking I'm going to need protein shakes to up my protein intake and calories?

I'm a fussy eater and don't eat egg or fish, so any tips? On Tuesday I;m meeting my trainer and will discuss and decide on a workout plan.

1291 calories is too low for a man who will be lifting weights and you definitely wont be building muscle. 1500-1600 is the least for a male thats old,sedentary or very short. you are neither of those. set it to lose .5(1/2) lb a week, and eat to that calorie goal. 2 lbs when you dont have a lot to lose is too aggressive and I cant see how MFP gave you such a low goal being male.1200 calories is not even going to be enough to fuel your body especially when running or working out. your BMR(the calories your body needs just to function) is probably higher than that.you will burn out quick eating that little.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

My macros are:
    Protein - 192g
    Carbs - 122g
    Fat - 46g

Monday

Totals:

Yikes, that's way too low. I am 5'9 at 164 lbs and I usually start my cut somewhere near 2400-2500 calories and I don't even do cardio. If I am not mistaken, you are over 6 feet tall and 190 something lbs, at 1291 calories, your basically eating what a short sedentary woman would eat on a diet....in other words, your calories intake is horrible. You really need to increase your calories intake. I don't even think you can get newbie gains by eating so low. Although I do advocate healthy eating, you shouldn't go through to the extreme of eating "only" healthy food. You can add a "junk" food here and there as long as they don't make out the majority of your food. They can help you big time if you have a hard time meeting your calories. The other alternative is to add dried fruits and nuts, both are low volume and high calories. Do not do the mistake people do here on mfp that I see often which is eat almost nothing and do a ton of cardio. Sure you will lose weight initially, but you're setting up yourself for a lot of frustration down the line especially when the weight loss plateaus and/or when your hormones or so *kitten* up that your SO will notice it too....and that won't be fun.

Also you seem to be that skinny fat type of person, so I wouldn't go as high as 2lbs per week rate, I would stick with 1 lbs per week rate.
  • jbean1990
    Options
    Thank you for the warning! I was worried it was too low. I'll change MFP to 'Active' and lose 1.5lb per week and it gives me a target of 2300, is that more like it? It i set it to 1LB per day it gives me 2550 per day.

Any ideas on what more I can eat? I'm struggling to find much else!
  • jbean1990
    edited January 2018
    Options
    So I'm now looking at 2300kcal (that's losing 1.5lbs per week) and macros : 231g carbs/64g fat/200g protein)
  • fb47
    Options
    So I'm now looking at 2300kcal (that's losing 1.5lbs per week) and macros : 231g carbs/64g fat/200g protein)

I would still stick with 1 lbs. You don't have much fat to lose opposed to an obese person.
  • jbean1990
    Options
    If I change it it goes to 2500kcal per day. I think it just shocks me because previously I;ve had to drop calories to prepare for running events, so it seems a lot, even though its not!
  • fb47
    edited January 2018
    Options
    When it comes to building muscles, losing too much weight is your enemy. 1.5 lbs is in the upper end of where you should lose weight, but 1 lbs is a perfect sweet spot. You ensure you get newbie gains and fat loss at the sametime. When you start lifting, you're at the instance of where you can lose fat and build muscle...which is harder to do once you're an experienced lifters...actually for 99% experienced lifters, it's impossible. Sure some will say you can by recomp, but with recomp, the progress will be very slow opposed to a bulk and cut cycle.
  • jbean1990
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    When it comes to building muscles, losing too much weight is your enemy. 1.5 lbs is in the upper end of where you should lose weight, but 1 lbs is a perfect sweet spot. You ensure you get newbie gains and fat loss at the sametime. When you start lifting, you're at the instance of where you can lose fat and build muscle...which is harder to do once you're an experienced lifters...actually for 99% experienced lifters, it's impossible. Sure some will say you can by recomp, but with recomp, the progress will be very slow opposed to a bulk and cut cycle.

Thanks! I'm goinf to eat a lot more then (:D) does it all have to be super-healthy?

I'm also going to look into shakes
  • fb47
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanks! I'm goinf to eat a lot more then (:D) does it all have to be super-healthy?

It's up to you, if you enjoy eating 100% healthy food (I hate using that term), then go all healthy. But if you're like me who feels miserable going that extreme, I usually try to eat 90% of what I eat healthy and the other 10% is usually junk and highly processed. It's basically to keep me sane. But because I do that, you shouldn't do it. You do a diet that you can stick with, just make sure you get your protein,fiber and micronutrients and things will be fine.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

no it doesnt have to be what you consider super healthy. eat what you like just make it fit into your calories. if you want to go healthier that is u[p to you. but its not needed for weight loss all that matters for weight loss is calories. 100 calories of chocolate and 100 calories of carrots are still 100 calories. although the carrots will most likely have more fiber and it would take more to equal 100 calories than it would with the chocolate. shakes arent needed unless you want them. you can get enough protein and what not with food.
  • BJSwail
    BJSwail Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We can't know his body fat from this info alone, size of frame, lean muscle mass and other factors are all unknowns. I would focus on strength development through compound movements done with good from through a full range of motion, not in splitting the body by muscle groups. Split it by compound movements that are aligned with how the body naturally moves. Squats, deadlifts, horizontal and vertical pushing and pulling. You also might have trouble recovering from lower body workouts with the running, but it depends on the intensity of lifting and running and you'll have to assess that for yourself. Focus on developing strength and the strangth will drive muscular hypertrophy. Also pick exercises and stick with them, you don't need to do 3 angles of chest flys or confuse the muscles. stress them regularly, let them recover, stress them again,... this will drive adaption in the long term. The large movements are a skill and leaning proper form is just as important as pushing yourself.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    BJSwail wrote: »
    We can't know his body fat from this info alone, size of frame, lean muscle mass and other factors are all unknowns. I would focus on strength development through compound movements done with good from through a full range of motion, not in splitting the body by muscle groups. Split it by compound movements that are aligned with how the body naturally moves. Squats, deadlifts, horizontal and vertical pushing and pulling. You also might have trouble recovering from lower body workouts with the running, but it depends on the intensity of lifting and running and you'll have to assess that for yourself. Focus on developing strength and the strangth will drive muscular hypertrophy. Also pick exercises and stick with them, you don't need to do 3 angles of chest flys or confuse the muscles. stress them regularly, let them recover, stress them again,... this will drive adaption in the long term. The large movements are a skill and leaning proper form is just as important as pushing yourself.

1. The pictures he shared combined with him saying he just started lifting give us a pretty good idea of his body composition.
    2. We haven't given him much advice on programming because his first post states he is supposed to be getting programming from a trainer. Hopefully the trainer follows up with him through the duration of the programming.