Thoughts on 'cheat days/meals'

Options
Avocado_Angel
Avocado_Angel Posts: 2,362 Member
Starting my new diet tomorrow & iv been arguing with myself wether or not to add in a cheat meal or day. I feel as if it's all just a psychological thing, ammarite? I feel as if having a cheat day or meal insinuates that I'm not eating food that I enjoy the rest of the time. I'm worried I'l just fixate on the upcoming 'cheat day' & whats the point fixating on eating stuff you don't normally eat?

On the flip side it might be good at keeping me motivated, say I pick the last Saturday of each month & can eat what I like....might help with motivation knowing I can have a blow out.

Do you include cheat days or no ? Positives n negatives you've noticed?

Replies

• WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I don’t plan them structured like a particular day of the month, but I allow for my mind to know that it’s okay if I skip logging a day here or there and take advantage of that day to eat things I don’t normally eat because they’re a pain in the *kitten* to log - like restaurant meals without listed calories, food my friends or family make, a recipe I make that I don’t feel like measuring every single ingredient, an entire family size bag of tortellini, etc.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    There are different ways of looking at it. On one hand its almost making food a reward which can be counter productive. On the other hand it can keep you sane by getting to indulge a little. It depends on your personality and I believe you have to do what you can sustain. No meal plan will work if you can't stick to it. Personally I do eat what I want once a week but try not to over indulge when I do.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing, your goals, and how you are "cheating". For the most part weight loss deficits balance out with time. If you have calories to spare eat them. Even if you end up at maintenance calories for say the week.... well that's better than gaining weight.

Long term refeeds and diet breaks are shown to have an impact on hormone levels and might actually help some people. Being deprived is more than just a mind game, but the mental aspect has to be taken into consideration as well.

I had a 7000+ calorie day during my initial weight loss when I joined here. I remained in a deficit for the week. I didn't binge for a week, grow extra limbs, or quit working towards my goals.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I personally do not like the term "cheat" for a meal or a day.

While I am trying to lose weight, if I have an entire cheat DAY I could easily...very easily...undo a lot of...possibly most of my loss for the week.

I look at it this way. I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want, as long as it fits in my plan.

This past week I had real ice cream. And several glasses of wine. And a serving of Swedish fish. And some movie theater popcorn!!! I still have some calories to spare today and I will be recording a loss tomorrow unless I do something today to cause me to retain water. Lol. I logged Everything!!!

Each day I made deliberate choices to balance my wants with how to fit them into my goals. I go by a weekly calorie system to allow me to go over some days if I need to and am under on other days. By the end of the week it balances out and I am still on track.
  • DocJayDee
    DocJayDee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about this lately. I am doing a 90 day plan now and I was thinking about long term after 90 days. I'm usually an all or nothing type, so I've been known to not eat any bad stuff for months/years at a time when I'm good (on the contrast I eat everything when I'm bad) Moderation doesn't work for me, but I am going to add a cheat day after my program is done. I'm planning on once a week having a cheat day but I also plan on hitting the gym on my cheat day as well. Not sure how this will work but I'm giving it a try.
  • lisahikes
    lisahikes Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I didn't declare it a "cheat day" on purpose, but I had been 'dieting' so hard (little to no carbs on top of daily exercise) that I had zero energy after 4-5 days, and my friends started to notice... they told me I wasn't acting like my normal self. So, I ate a sandwich and a banana and a couple other things that put me well over my calories for the day, but, my mood improved and I felt a little more energy after. Then, the next day I shook it off and went back to the grind of eating within the parameters I set for myself. I don't plan on planning a cheat day, but, if my 'dieting' makes my mood noticeably different to other people, then heck yes I'll break my plan for an evening or a day.
  • wizzybeth
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lisahikes wrote: »
    I didn't declare it a "cheat day" on purpose, but I had been 'dieting' so hard (little to no carbs on top of daily exercise) that I had zero energy after 4-5 days, and my friends started to notice... they told me I wasn't acting like my normal self. So, I ate a sandwich and a banana and a couple other things that put me well over my calories for the day, but, my mood improved and I felt a little more energy after. Then, the next day I shook it off and went back to the grind of eating healthy. I don't plan on planning a cheat day, but, if my 'dieting' makes my mood noticeably different to other people, then heck yes I'll break my plan for an evening or a day.

Eating healthy shouldn't be considered a grind.

Everyday I do my very best to meet my protein, fat, and fiber goals all while staying within my calorie limits. I am not hangry, I am not tired, I am not craving all kinds of crazy things. I just eat normal Foods... Fitting them within my calorie goals for the day or for the week... And make sure I get my minimum for my macros.

Last night when I had one and a half servings of regular delicious ice cream I didn't consider it a cheat at all because it fit into my plan and I'd already met my protein calcium fiber goals. I was shy on the fat... So the ice cream helped me meet my fat goal.

While I was watching TV... I wanted some Swedish fish. So I had them. It put me 69 calories over for the day, but I am still well within my weekly goal. I still don't consider that a cheat either. And one small serving of 12 Swedish Fish just hit the spot.

And I still expect to record nearly a 2 lb loss when I weigh in tomorrow. All without considering what I did this week a grind... I haven't been fatigued, depressed, tired... I've been very well satisfied everyday.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days where I go over my calories. I tend to either bank calories or work out more to make room for stuff like eating out, holidays, etc. But I do have days where I'm more interested in indulging in choices that don't offer as much nutrition-wise as others. Like Saturday mornings, where breakfast is a cookie, 2 pieces of potato kugel, and some cubed melon. I have cake at birthday parties. And latkes and doughnuts on Hannukah. But I keep them within my daily calories. And the rest of the time, I strive to hit my protein and iron and usually do, so it all balances.
  • lisahikes
    lisahikes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I didn't declare it a "cheat day" on purpose, but I had been 'dieting' so hard (little to no carbs on top of daily exercise) that I had zero energy after 4-5 days, and my friends started to notice... they told me I wasn't acting like my normal self. So, I ate a sandwich and a banana and a couple other things that put me well over my calories for the day, but, my mood improved and I felt a little more energy after. Then, the next day I shook it off and went back to the grind of eating healthy. I don't plan on planning a cheat day, but, if my 'dieting' makes my mood noticeably different to other people, then heck yes I'll break my plan for an evening or a day.

And I still expect to record nearly a 2 lb loss when I weigh in tomorrow. All without considering what I did this week a grind... I haven't been fatigued, depressed, tired... I've been very well satisfied everyday.

I meant grind a bit more lighthearted than that, like "on the grind" at the gym, or on it trying to beat Super Mario Bros in one sitting
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There are so many ways to look at cheat days or cheat meals. Mentally for me, calling it a cheat implies something negative in which I must feel guilty about it, so not the same as a reward. For myself this is 'planned' days I just alter calorie choices on the weekends but stay in a calorie deficit or maintain. You can bank calories during the week if you want to, many use this strategy to help them stay compliant with a 'weekly' deficit.

What @robertw486 says about refeeds and diet break are absolutely true. This type of refeed is where you go into maintenance for a period of time and then go back to resuming your calorie deficit. If you are interested read this link and even spend time watching the video as well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

So what ever you want to call it, a cheat day or meal, a refeed, or just a day where you enjoy social aspects from eating or just enjoying your favorite foods etc, do that. Whether you choose to stay in a calorie deficit or maintain one or two days to do this is a personal choice. Long term adherence is the name of the game and what you do in weight loss is ideally how you will want to handle maintenance.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

I meant grind a bit more lighthearted than that, like "on the grind" at the gym, or on it trying to beat Super Mario Bros in one sitting

Gotcha. I saw it as sadness like living life in a hamster wheel lol
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I usually don't declare anything a cheat meal/day. If I made an entire day a "cheat" day I know for a fact I would go overboard. I usually eat well during the day and then maybe for dinner/dessert I'll have something that isn't particularly good but I make sure I am able to have it if it fits within my caloric deficit.

I usually save a day off from my healthy diet for at the weekend but I don't call it a "cheat" day as it tends to lead to me feeling guilty about what I'm eating.
  • wizzybeth
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I much prefer the term splurge or indulge. It implies treating yourself, pampering yourself, something special.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    when-you-realize-you-treated-the-entire-weekend-as-a-3041585.png
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Eating according to CICO allows for cheat meals. I do that all the time, save up for a big meal by eating lightly throughout the day to store up.
    Cheat days really are much the same, keep your weekly deficit and you are allowed a day or two where you can go over. I don't do this as often as overeating makes me feel gross but that is why calorie counting is awesome. There is tons of flexibility to do what you need to feel content, mentally and physically.
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Imho, planning for cheat days is akin to planning for failure. I don't consider myself on a diet, but on a lifetime journey to better health through healthier food choices. Down 61 pounds since July 23, 2017. 17 pounds from my goal weight.
  • george_essel
    george_essel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I indulge every day - if I calories left (say 350) in the evening and I have to run to the store, I 'shop' for a treat that has a lower calorie content and have a treat when I get home. Last night I discovered Ritz crisp and thin bacon flavored chips.