Rowing machine vs Recumbent bike

Options
13»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ultimately the decision should be based on which one you're actually going to use regularly.

I bought a C2 rower a number of years ago, rowing is a cross training activity for me, and I've never regretted buying it (I use it on average 2 or 3 times a week and alternate between steady state sessions and intervals). I also ride my bike indoors on a trainer in winter (if you already own a bike this may be an option for you too) and run outside all year 'round.

I'd second the suggestion of trying one out at the gym if you can before buying one but you should also be aware that a lot of gyms treat their rowers as a 2nd thought.

Either way if you find something that keeps you moving you're the winner!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    You can find a dozen recumbent bikes used very cheap for a reason, they gather dust. Same can't be said about the other bike options. A decent road bike doesn't lose value either. Neither does a good bike trainer. The great thing about that is you can take it off the trainer on occasion and enjoy the outdoors!
    I agree that it seems that Concept2 rowers don't appear to depreciate in value however bikes, including very nice bikes, hemorrhage in value. Bikebluebook's value guide is a good example. There's currently an 2015 Trek Emonda SL8 on my city's Craigslist selling for $1695 (if only it was my size and I had the extra money...). That bike retailed new for $4,730. Even new bikes from previous model years depreciate quickly. One of the bike shops near me is selling a 2017 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra for $500 off retail.

That's neither a recumbent nor an indoor bike. It's like saying a Subaru costs $30,000 so every wise person should buy an Emonda, or hell why not compare the depreciation on a Cessna to an indoor rowing machine?

Also, unless the trim level and wheels were identical on the Craigslist and $4,730 bikes it's apples to oranges anyway.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    IMHO a recumbent bike is useless. I never feel like they do ANYTHING for me.

I would get an actual spin bike OR a rower- I think I'd use a spin bike more- but if I go to the gym- I get on the rower over the bike.

But I think recumbent bikes are pretty much pointless.

IMHO, your humble opinion is ignorant, arrogant and thoughtless.

My wife has dementia and constant nerve pain, which leads to depression and loss of interest in any physical activity, which then deepens the depression and enervation. She went from having an exceptional memory, teaching history and psychology for 50 years to having almost zero short term memory and total sedentary lifestyle.
    At the behest of her memory doctor, we purchased a fairly basic recumbent stationary bike, with good adjustment of resistance and complete statistics. Her use of that bike was the key to rebuilding muscle tone and interest in further exercises. She now has classes 5 days a week, mostly in water aerobics, plus time on the recumbent bike. Very, very far from being worthless, in our experience.

I use it a fair amount myself, especially while watching TV. Not as good as my Nordic Track ski machine, but much nicer for TV watching.

There is a very wide range of participants on this site, all of us making choices to keep ourselves more fit and more healthy. None of these efforts are worthless, no matter what your arrogant opinion is.
    Wake up and smell the coffee.

I smell the coffee frequently and I'm quiet awake.

The premise of the question of a bike vs a rower indicates to me more than base level needs.
    A hand bike is useful too.

But it's not going to increase my fitness at all.

So while yes- there are people who can use it- and it's not going to go to waste- and I'm really glad your wife is feeling better and her health has improved.

I agree that none of those efforts are "worthless" perhaps I was ahead of myself blatantly calling it completely worthless- but in terms of level of effort- a recumbent- even when pressed hard is pretty low on the list. For me- I can get more out of walking in place than I can on that bike- so yes - it's good for movement- but it's not good for fitness.

And that isn't arrogance. Presumptuous possibly- not arrogant. And I realize there are a large number of users on this site that aren't all trying to be Arnold- and I'm a big advocate for a lot of those people.

it still doesn't make the recumbent bike particularly effective.

A bike can be a much harder workout than walking. You just have to push harder and faster on the pedals. You can put as much or as little as you want into it.
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine hands down. However it is very hard to find a really good rowing machine. The ones in the gym are often crap and you don't get resistance in the initial pull where you would use your legs.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    sjcook23 wrote: »
    However it is very hard to find a really good rowing machine.

I got my Concept2 on Amazon, prime shipping right to my door

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sjcook23 wrote: »
    Rowing machine hands down. However it is very hard to find a really good rowing machine. The ones in the gym are often crap and you don't get resistance in the initial pull where you would use your legs.

The lack of "resistance" in the flywheel on the initial (or any pull, for that matter) is an obvious sign of wear due to overuse and evidence of a lack of maintenance.
    The 2 C2's at my gym are victims of this.

A new Concept2 rower only costs $900 plus $45 shipping (and no tax as long as you don't live in VT).

That's a lot of money for some people but, from what I've read over the past 20 months, not too expensive for many people on MFP, especially those who talk about $4500 bikes and $700 Garmins.

I wouldn't touch a used C2 from a gym at any price, unless I'm provided w/proof that it has been fully reconditioned. They are too often abused by clueless users and neglected by negligent gym owners and employees, as evidenced by the C2's I've used at my gym and elsewhere.

The personal C2's offered on Craigslist are usually older outdated models offered at ridiculously high prices - typically $750-800 for a C2 Model D w/a PM3 which would cost a min of $160 to upgrade to a PM5 plus more if reconditioning is required.

This is why I bought my C2 new from the factory and recommend that anyone in the market for one do that too, unless you're lucky enough to find a late model C2 for a reasonable price b4 someone else snatches it up.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Just one more thought about rowers. I'm very, very biased toward the Concept2. There's just no equal to it, not only in terms of quality, retaining value and universal use, but the "bells and whistles" too. LiveRowing (an I-Phone app), RowPro (a computer software program), ErgData and many new players make it incredibly fun. LiveRowing lets you race against others on your I-Phone virtually (recorded races but you see your face racing against an opponents boat with a face!). LiveRowing gives fantastic training advice/programs too. RowPro allows you to race others in real time! I have a TV set up above my rower and have created a virtual "row studio" where (once I get my cheap $150 computer), I can row against up to eight lanes of other rowers with my character on "water", rowing a race in real time! Just fun!

With all that said about the C2, though, they do not allow payments. WaterRowers are good (but way behind on the technology/apps to go along with the rower). Still very good quality, though, and they look fantastic. WaterRowers allow you to rent one for up to like 3 months and return it if you don't like it. If you choose to buy it, your rent goes toward the purchase. It might be a cheap way (if you don't have access to a gym with a rower) where you can try out rowing and see if you like it and would use it before spending a lot of money.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    That's neither a recumbent nor an indoor bike. It's like saying a Subaru costs $30,000 so every wise person should buy an Emonda, or hell why not compare the depreciation on a Cessna to an indoor rowing machine?

Also, unless the trim level and wheels were identical on the Craigslist and $4,730 bikes it's apples to oranges anyway.
    Right but the post I was referring to, which I quoted, said, "A decent road bike doesn't lose value either." That's what I was addressing.