Seeking information/advice regarding ice cream

Options

Replies

• klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Let me preface what I'm about to say with this: There is no wrong way to eat. There is eating to much.

1. Sugar and carbs - I don't know how your doing your weight loss regime but cutting carbs/sugar is generally a good idea. Ice Cream is probably the worst thing you can eat if your trying to lose weight. Sugar spikes your insulin and will make you hungry-er. There is no nutritional value in it either. If your craving sugar you should eat some fruit. An apple or a handful of blueberries.

Also beware the serving size listed on the box. Its probably no where near what you would eat. Sometimes its as low as an 1 Oz which isn't even enough to fill a small cone.

2. Why you are craving sugar?

You should probably try to cute down on your REFINED sugar intake. Processed foods are incredibly addictive and often have hidden stuff like extra salt that will make you retain water. Also those preservatives which are toxic.

Its up to you. But I would toss the ice cream..buy some fresh fruit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Let me preface what I'm about to say with this: There is no wrong way to eat. There is eating to much.

1. Sugar and carbs - I don't know how your doing your weight loss regime but cutting carbs/sugar is generally a good idea. Ice Cream is probably the worst thing you can eat if your trying to lose weight. Sugar spikes your insulin and will make you hungry-er. There is no nutritional value in it either. If your craving sugar you should eat some fruit. An apple or a handful of blueberries.

Also beware the serving size listed on the box. Its probably no where near what you would eat. Sometimes its as low as an 1 Oz which isn't even enough to fill a small cone.

You should probably try to cute down on your REFINED sugar intake. Processed foods are incredibly addictive and often have hidden stuff like extra salt that will make you retain water. Also those preservatives which are toxic.

Lolwut?
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hey, so if I were to ask if it was ok to eat an ice cream cone from mcdonalds every day, the answer is obviously no.

I would say "no" simply because it's incorrect grammar. It should say "If I were to ask if it WERE ok...." You got half of it right. *grin*

Otherwise, the answer is not as obvious because I would say, "Sure, IIFYM."

I knew I liked you. Fellow grammar hound.

To the OP, I eat ice cream just about very night as long as it fits into my macros.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    What's IIFYM stand for? I see ppl say it a lot on here....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I was half hoping somebody would say that. However, I refuse to believe that there's no catch to eating ice cream every day o_o

The catch is the grocery bill. But if that's not a problem and it fits your macros, eat up. I eat ice cream every day and I've yet to notice a down side.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Ice cream helps me meet my protein macro, and it's also a source of Calcium, Vitamin A and a tiny bit of Vitamin C.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    my answer would be obviously, yes.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream most days. I tend to get a chuckle out of the naysayers, and rather enjoy my own success.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's high processed. It contains preservatives. The sugar has empty calories without the nutrients that one would find in fruits and vegetables.

Anyone can afford to toss some calories to junk. But why do it if you don't want it ?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream almost every night.

And thus I am of no use to you, except to say "I'd eat the ice cream."
    Pretty much.

The answer might be yes, depending on who you ask.

I eat chocolate every day.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    why would the answer be no? If it fits your calorie goal for the day, and is something that you want to invest those calories in...do it! No reason not to. I wouldn't choose to do that all that often, but that's me, not you. Enjoy!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating ice cream every day. I'd just say have better ice cream than McDonald's ice cream.

Heck, I ate a cupcake from a local bakery every single day for seven days and just worked the rest of my eating around that cupcake each day. Worked out, stayed in my calories, was down a pound at the end of the week.

Would I have done that for a Sprinkles cupcake or a grocery store cupcake? No. But I love the cupcakes from my local bakery and they were debuting one of their new summer flavors each day that week, so I did it. And it was awesome. I've also had one their cupcakes this week as well as some local, hand made, gelato the night before.

Don't deprive yourself, it'll make you hate dieting. Just make sure that whatever your treat is, it fits in your day.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This is just me, but when I joined MFP, I started eating a lot of ice cream and Greek yogurt. The rest of my diet stayed pretty much the same.

After about a year my LDL was up by 14% and my total cholesterol was up by 7% (despite the fact that I lost 50 pounds and my activity level was much higher).

I'm not sure if it's the saturated fat or something else that was the root cause, but I attribute the increases to the fact I was eating more dairy.

I quit eating animal products and in 4 months my LDL was down 19% and my total cholesterol went down 14%.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream every, single, night. Right before bed. If you can fit it in eat it!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    You ever have a cherry dipped cone at DQ?

Fixed that for you.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day. But I have only lost 45 pounds, so what do I know?
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I say if you can work it into your calories, then why deny yourself?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I could think of much better ice cream than McDonalds soft serve...other than that, no issue.

Totally stole your pic cwolf
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If course you shouldn't have a McDonald's ice cream cone every night. Seriously?!? You gotta swap it out for some gelato every now and then.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    There are many days where, after working out and eating well, I have a few hundred extra calories to spare. It's not uncommon that, by the time dinner's over, I need to have something with protein. It's REALLY not uncommon for me to still need some fat. I eat nuts, avocado, olive oil, etc- but I still have a hard time getting enough fat. On days like that, hell yes, I will have a little bowl of ice cream.