Options
2»

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Your personal actual loss rate is a better guide than anything else, once you have enough data to evaluate, which you do. I'm estimating it's about 11 weeks since mid-October, so that would be about 1.4 pounds/week.

There are a couple of common rules of thumb about maximum sensible weight loss rates for someone who's not under close medical supervision. One is "no more than 1% of body weight per week". Another suggests throttling back from that as goal weight approaches. Different people have different ideas about the thresholds, but it's usually something like cutting back to a pound a week at 25 pounds or so from goal, and 0.5 pounds weekly at around 10 pounds.

Slower is always fine, too, especially if it makes the process more sustainable. And slower is essential for people who do poorly (fatigue, weakness, etc.) at a higher loss rate

Looking at your own actual loss rate, instead of at the raw calorie number, kind of tailors the answer to you personally. Different people have different logging practices, can differ in activity or RMR, etc., so calorie
    needs and estimates differ. Actual loss rate is part of your body's direct feedback to you, about you.

The best source is always going to be your own data. I'm 5'2" and 168 pounds, and am losing a pound a week at 1770 net*. I think it's important not to get hung up by the numbers because this is really all a big game of estimating and adjusting. A lot of people (I actually suspect most people) who think they are eating 1200 calories are eating more due to logging errors - sometimes much more - and still losing weight because even that higher number is a deficit. Maybe I'm making logging errors in the other direction, who knows. Plus there's NEAT to take into account, basically all your movements outside of exercise - which can be pretty hard to get a handle on even if you use a step counter. Long story short, stay healthy, trust your own numbers, and be patient.

*ETA because I misread your current weight as 169 rather than 149 - based on my numbers, I'd expect to lose roughly just under a pound a week of 1700 net once I get down to 149. My goal is also 135 but I don't intend on going under 1700 at any point - my plan is to just let the last few pounds trickle off. We'll see how it goes. :smiley:
  • NTCB17
    NTCB17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi guys i have a question about this i just got a fitbit was on a polar watch thought i was missing out of calories and i wanted to make sure i was doing it right and since i got my fitbit i dont know how much i lost and i looked tonight as the excersise bit is at 0 this is what it says Fitbit Calorie Adjustment
    You're using Fitbit to measure your actual activity level throughout the day.

To accurately reflect any extra calories you're burning, we use this data to adjust your daily MyFitnessPal calorie goal.

This is how we calculate your calorie adjustment:

Fitbit Calories Burned
    Full Day Projection
    (Based on 560 calories burned as of 9:28 pm) 730
    MyFitnessPal Calories Burned
    Fitbit Calorie Adjustment
    Your adjustment has been reduced to keep your goal above our 1200 calorie minimum

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im 5'1 and lose 1-2 pounds per week on 1200.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What are the qualifications of the person who is giving you advice about your calorie needs? In general, most people have a very poor sense of a) how many calories is “enough” and b) how many calories are in various foods, unless you’re talking to a registered dietician or other person who has a clear reason to be knowledgeable about such things.