2»

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Further to that, if you're a woman, you may be like me. I don't lose any weight between my cycle start and ovulation. Not an ounce, no matter what. From ovulation to cycle start, it all drops at once. So two weeks out of every 4, I've learned to just accept that I won't budge. It's fine, it catches up later.

Not sure why this was "woo"ed. I'm the same way. Some women are just the opposite though- gain going into TOM and lose afterward. Some women see no cyclical changes in their weight at all. People are different. But generally speaking, women need at least a month's worth of data to get a true picture of what's going on.

I mean, they can woo if they want but I've been tracking the trends for my own body for quite a long time, and it's pretty consistent. i definitely meant to put that it's opposite trend for many women - I'm the outlier weirdo i think.

Lol... another weirdo ;) It always strikes me as strange when I hear women talk about TOM weight gain. I am guaranteed the lowest reading of the month the first day of my period. I max out at ovulation. I think the real freaks are the ones who don't report any cyclical changes at all (I mean freaks in the nicest way possible ;) )
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Further to that, if you're a woman, you may be like me. I don't lose any weight between my cycle start and ovulation. Not an ounce, no matter what. From ovulation to cycle start, it all drops at once. So two weeks out of every 4, I've learned to just accept that I won't budge. It's fine, it catches up later.

Not sure why this was "woo"ed. I'm the same way. Some women are just the opposite though- gain going into TOM and lose afterward. Some women see no cyclical changes in their weight at all. People are different. But generally speaking, women need at least a month's worth of data to get a true picture of what's going on.

I mean, they can woo if they want but I've been tracking the trends for my own body for quite a long time, and it's pretty consistent. i definitely meant to put that it's opposite trend for many women - I'm the outlier weirdo i think.

Lol... another weirdo ;) It always strikes me as strange when I hear women talk about TOM weight gain. I am guaranteed the lowest reading of the month the first day of my period. I max out at ovulation. I think the real freaks are the ones who don't report any cyclical changes at all (I mean freaks in the nicest way possible ;) )

I'm happy to encounter at least one other like me!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Go back to 1200 calories, double check your logging, and be patient. You're going to have weeks of no scale movement. You may have multiple consecutive weeks of no scale movement. It's normal. I am under 5 feet tall and I lost 100 pounds eating 1200 + exercise calories. There is no need to go below 1200.
  • Saltine24
    Saltine24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

OMG! I thought I was the only one out there that has their lowest reading on the first day of TOM or the day before it comes & not much of a loss any other time of the month...more just fluctuation....even my dietitian was shocked & didn't have an explanation for me.
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    thetjh wrote: »
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    I'm kinda having this same problem I eat about the same as you but this is weird for me, I've been slacking for maybe 2 weeks and the scales stayed at my normal fluctuation, now that I'm done with school I wanted to focus on losing my last 5 lbs and really go in on strength training. However, now that I'm focusing I literally can't drop a pound and actually gained about 5lbs I'm SO disappointed right now, but I'm just going to push through because I know this is what works so I'm just going to continue at it.

One week really isn't enough time to tell depending on how much weight you have to lose give it time and push through.

I wonder if it's because you're training and gaining muscle maybe? Thank you - I will keep at it! Good luck to you x

she has not put on muscle mass in one week. she didn't mention a progressive lifting program or eating at a surplus - even with those a woman is not putting on pounds of muscle per week. a woman doing everything right is fortunate to put on .5-1lb of muscle per month.

Right I wasn't doing a progressive program but I've been doing P90X for about a month and I have definitely notice that I have gotten stronger, but I wasn't consistant for the month I was doing it maybe 2-3 a week and I just got heavier weights. But dang .5-1 lb a month that's nothing I've got a long way to go
  • therjh
    therjh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    I'm kinda having this same problem I eat about the same as you but this is weird for me, I've been slacking for maybe 2 weeks and the scales stayed at my normal fluctuation, now that I'm done with school I wanted to focus on losing my last 5 lbs and really go in on strength training. However, now that I'm focusing I literally can't drop a pound and actually gained about 5lbs I'm SO disappointed right now, but I'm just going to push through because I know this is what works so I'm just going to continue at it.

One week really isn't enough time to tell depending on how much weight you have to lose give it time and push through.

I wonder if it's because you're training and gaining muscle maybe? Thank you - I will keep at it! Good luck to you x

she has not put on muscle mass in one week. she didn't mention a progressive lifting program or eating at a surplus - even with those a woman is not putting on pounds of muscle per week. a woman doing everything right is fortunate to put on .5-1lb of muscle per month.

Ha ha ok! I'm by no means claiming to be an expert. Seems like everyone else on here is though......
  • therjh
    edited January 2018
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    How are you measuring your food? Are you logging everything you consume? Are you making sure the entries are valid (i.e no homemade or generic)? Drinking plenty of water? TOM? If you are truly consuming 1200 or less you should be losing something even if it is only water weight.

I'm drinking 2litres of water per day. I wonder if menstrual cycle is something to do with it as kdbulger mentioned as I do retain a lot of water. I don't weigh food but I'm only eating vegetables and meat and not huge portions. I'm just sticking to a healthy diet, a lot healthier than how I have been for the past year. Hopefully I will see some improvements soon :) if not I will definitely think about starting to weigh my portions although I don't want to go to that extreme at the moment, I'm eating less and exercising more!
  • therjh
    Options
    philsy1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have used mfp in the past and lost weight, however I have been using it for a week now and have not lost any weight at all. I have cut my calories to 1000 - 1200 a day and exercise daily. I usually lose every week, but just haven't shifted any at all so far. Has anyone else experienced this? I am 9st12 and my goal weight is 8st (I am 5ft2).
    Thanks! x

Sometimes the body retains digested food during a period of very low intake. Maybe you're a little stopped up?

Quite possibly! It will be a massive shock to my system ha ha :)
  • therjh
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Go back to 1200 calories, double check your logging, and be patient. You're going to have weeks of no scale movement. You may have multiple consecutive weeks of no scale movement. It's normal. I am under 5 feet tall and I lost 100 pounds eating 1200 + exercise calories. There is no need to go below 1200.

Brill thank you :)