Long term low carb

Options
Has anyone done keto or other low carb high fat style diets to lose considerable weight maintained that for several years? I see all kinds of success stories but most are short term 1 year or less stories. I’m wondering if it is possible to maintain for long term.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    In the low carber daily forum group here there are folks who've been eating low carb for YEARS.
    (I'm not one of them. I've been eating "slow carb" for about 17 years now).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Here's the group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I've been LCHF, and mostly ketogenic, for going on 3 years. Those who do it long term tend to find some sort of obvious benefit to the diet that makes carb restriction worthwhile such as health improvement (cholesterol and CVD, insulin resistance, etc) or greater control over their eating or cravings. And then there are some who just like the food and tend to eat that way without thought to it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not low carb...more moderate carbs, but I've maintained for going on 5 years. Most of the carbs I do eat are whole or minimally processed foods like oats, whole grains, legumes, lentils, root vegetables, etc. For me it was a matter of continuing to live a healthful lifestyle after the weight loss...eating well and regular exercise.