Trying to lower my carb intake for new diet.....failing....

Replies

• ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Change your philosophy on diet then. I don't have any clients diet. Their best interests is for lifestyle change and you know as well as I do that diets of low carbs are just temporary and reverting back to eating them will cause a regain of weight.
    Change their thinking of portion control and not by totally changing their lifestyle diet. You can suggest more nutrient dense food, but let them make the decision to change to it.
    One of my favorite quotes is "Consistency is the difference between true champions and occasional winners". Don't let the client just win temporarily. Make sure they can do it for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Agreed!! That is what I usually do, but I have so many potential clients ask me details about this. I usually tell them it is wrong, but only have ACSM knowledge with caloric deficit, bmr, TEE allowance, etc. I like to show personal experience of why not, and if anything give them knowlege on both views of it! But you are absolutely right, thank you for the input!
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    planning is all you need...

work out six meals a day , fibre supliment, multivit, omega 3 capsules and primrose oil - buy stuff in for a week and eat the same every day at the same time and on less than 20g of carbs you ll have no craving for them, you ll have plenty of energy and sleep like a baby for the first time in years ! - wont even feel hungry.

As, for losing weight - your body goes " flat" and for me on 1750 ish cals the weight loss was very rapid and im at 13% bodyfat taking a break and maintaining it eating carbs again purely because of the heat and my choice to do so preparing for the next leg down.

ps - its true there is very little muscle mass loss

6 meals a day? No thanks Jeff!

each to their own, but i guess you re "special" and your body is unique in storing protein rather than needing it like the rest of us mere mortals !!!!

Protein takes hours, and hours, and hours to digest. Do some research.

you re from grimbsby... cant bring myself to disagree with you !!!

...Right
    DANG BRO, I was checking out your pics!! Nice Transformation:) Congrats!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Hello,

I am trying to lower my carbs to experiment with a new diet. This, unlike previous diets I have experimented with, has proven very difficult. I have to say I love my carbs. I know what I have to do to get there, but I am looking for any help on how experienced carb cutters have managed to stay away from them. I actually sleep eat....lol-Waking up and going to the fridge in the middle of the night. My carb intake is ranging from 60-100 grams and before was around 200 hundred....Maybe it was too drastic of a cut. Failing but still fighting! Any input is appreciated:) Thanks!

How about instead of low carb, think low processed carbs? Your body burns more calories processing carbs in their natural state, especially when raw, which is an extra benefit. The natural carbs (fruits and vegetables) also have the extra benefit of more water and fiber, which slows down the processing of the carbs and sugars, which helps your insulin from spiking and dropping. I pair carb snacks with fats and protein to increase this effect. For example, every morning I blend a cup of strawberries, three ounces of two percent Greek yogurt, half a cup of milk and three or four packages of Stevia (or a dropper full of Stevia liquid you can get at Whole Foods). I have a snack of fruit and a couple of egg whites from a hard boiled egg for a snack, eat a salad with grilled chicken for lunch with an apple or orange, have a snack in the afternoon - usually hummus and salted cucumbers and tomatoes, and then chicken, steak or fish for dinner with a baked potato or homemade sweet potato fries and a couple of veggies (I love roasted zucchini with parmesan cheese and usually eat steamed broccoli). I cook extra veggies so on late dinner days I can just heat them up, or I make sure I have salad stuff in the fridge, or I munch on carrots and celery while I cook dinner.
    This summer I have been a bad girl, but usually when I eat as described above, I do really well with weight loss. I hope you find what works for you!

Agreed! I have my carbs limited to 70g/day. I didn't really go through withdrawals bc I didn't drop my carbs super low in the beginning.. it was gradual. The carbs I eat are generally from whole foods, not processed either. I can tell you that as soon as I upped my fat/protein intake, I hardly get hungry in between meals... plus my congestion cleared up a lot! That may also be from just cutting out a lot of the processed/sugar junk.

Best of Luck!

I have such a hard time paying attention to my macros. I stick to the basic tenets and watch calorie intake and log. I feel like that's about all I can handle! I do notice though that my carbs are always lower and protein higher when compared to the recommended settings. You look great by the way! SO your carb limit is definitely working for you!
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member

work out six meals a day , fibre supliment, multivit, omega 3 capsules and primrose oil - buy stuff in for a week and eat the same every day at the same time and on less than 20g of carbs you ll have no craving for them, you ll have plenty of energy and sleep like a baby for the first time in years ! - wont even feel hungry.

As, for losing weight - your body goes " flat" and for me on 1750 ish cals the weight loss was very rapid and im at 13% bodyfat taking a break and maintaining it eating carbs again purely because of the heat and my choice to do so preparing for the next leg down.

each to their own, but i guess you re "special" and your body is unique in storing protein rather than needing it like the rest of us mere mortals !!!!

you re from grimbsby... cant bring myself to disagree with you !!!

...Right
    DANG BRO, I was checking out your pics!! Nice Transformation:) Congrats!

Thanks man, appreciate it :)
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    I only managed to lower my carbs when I focused on INCREASING my protein intake instead - then my carb intake then dropped by itself.

I hope that helps.

This is how I did it too
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    what is this 1992...stop reading your womens magazines and wake the **** up
    Elvis

:laugh:
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    60-100 g carbs is a horrible place to be. Bump it up to where you feel better- my guess would be 150 but it might be lower, or really do low carb and go to ketosis. That middle carb area leaves just about everyone with angry, bingey carb cravings and feeling miserable.

I agree completely with this, though 100g of carbs would likely make you feel better if you're using whole grains and slow-digesting carbs instead of quicker, simple carbohydrates.
  • WendyTerry420

Another reason not to eat only protein and fats! I like to feel satisfied without feeling bloated and icky.
  • mrmagee3

Another reason not to eat only protein and fats! I like to feel satisfied without feeling bloated and icky.

Protein digesting slowly is a good reason to eat carbs? Explain?
  • WendyTerry420
    60-100 g carbs is a horrible place to be. Bump it up to where you feel better- my guess would be 150 but it might be lower, or really do low carb and go to ketosis. That middle carb area leaves just about everyone with angry, bingey carb cravings and feeling miserable.

I agree completely with this, though 100g of carbs would likely make you feel better if you're using whole grains and slow-digesting carbs instead of quicker, simple carbohydrates.

I have to disagree with that. To me, getting all three macros at every meal is the ideal. For my carbs, I make sure to get enough protein, but other than that, I eat both "simple" and "complex" carbs. I like variety.
  • mrmagee3
    I have to disagree with that. To me, getting all three macros at every meal is the ideal. For my carbs, I make sure to get enough protein, but other than that, I eat both "simple" and "complex" carbs. I like variety.

You realize that protein isn't a carbohydrate, right?

Also, you realize that we're not discussing your personal likes and dislikes with regards to food, but a generalized comment about what one would likely expect to feel if eating at a level of around 100g of carbs per day? Specifically given that a person is eating 100g of carbs and riding an energy roller coaster, and how to approach that?
  • DeanR321
    DeanR321 Posts: 57 Member
    eat more lean meats like fish, chicken, tuna, lean beef, turkey etc.
    and get rid of all the high carbs in your cabinets.
    focus on trying to stay away from white food like like pasta, white bread, white flower, white rice and buy brown all BROWN thats good for you and also has less carbs more fibre in them brown rice, brown pasta, brown breads but keep check on the carbs per serving so you dont go over.
    ive lost a fair bit weight just cutting my carbs from 200 a day to inbetween 70 - 110 per day.
    also when you cut carbs then you really should up your protein and that will keep full for longer.
    and for the eating through the night that is the worse time to eat as it lies on your stomach and can put on a lot of weight dependent on what your eating try eating a low carb high protein meal about 2 hours before bed and drink lots of water it works for me i do it every day.
    and last but not least.... never eat anything with a high carb or hight sugar level init on the night time unless your going to do some exercise and burn it of otherwise its going straight to fat on the body eat you carbs and sugary stuff on the morning for energy so that you can burn it of through out the day and have a lean meal on the night time like tuna, chicken, turkey with veg

Hope this helps.... :)

Feel free to add me people.... ;) Thanks
  • WendyTerry420

Also, you realize that we're not discussing your personal likes and dislikes with regards to food, but a generalized comment about what one would likely expect to feel if eating at a level of around 100g of carbs per day? Specifically given that a person is eating 100g of carbs and riding an energy roller coaster, and how to approach that?

When I said "all three macros," I was referring to the three macronutrients: carbs, protein, and fats. By saying the word "three," I was obviously implying that they are not the same.

I get about 200-250g per day, no "roller-coaster" here.
  • mrmagee3

When I said "all three macros," I was referring to the three macronutrients: carbs, protein, and fats. By saying the word "three," I was obviously implying that they are not the same.

From listening to your answer, it was unclear when you said: "[f]or my carbs, I make sure to get enough protein.."

As to the rest of your answer, I pretty much assumed you'd be somewhere around there. Hence why I disregarded your disagreement with me. My response to the post specifically dealt with someone dealing with energy fluctuations while eating in the 60g-100g carb range, and how to handle them. Not with someone in the 200-250 range who experiences nothing of the sort.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    I have at least 100 pounds to lose initially; 130 would be great, 150-160 would be ideal.
    I'm going to "get there" in stages.
    I used the MFT tools for determining how many calories I burn at present, the resting metabolic rate.
    I input the weight I want to reach for my first "-50 pounds" goal, and set my calorie allowance at that point.
    I set fat calories at 50%, which is LOW on Paleo, 25% protein, and 25% carbohydrates.
    I have marvelous satiety--no cravings for wheat, dairy, refined sugar, or starchy foods.
    When my stomach growls, it is EMPTY.
    Our bodies have different requirements for each macro-nutrient, and metabolize them in different ways.
    I suggest that you have a meal/snack late in the evening, to satisfy the urge to snack in the middle of the night.
    I recommend bacon rinds which have fats, and salsa, which has low carb vegetables!

I'm converting to the Paleo lifestyle, and there is great information at
    paleohacks.com.

Best wishes!
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    I only managed to lower my carbs when I focused on INCREASING my protein intake instead - then my carb intake then dropped by itself.

I hope that helps.

This ^^^. I'm diabetic, and have unsuccessfully worked on cutting my carbs for a LONG time. Of course, I'm not cutting them as drastically as you - though I wish my before number was as GOOD as yours, lol.

Anyway, eating lower carb is highly recommended for diabetes. Around 150 is the max - according to what I was taught. Anyway, I wasn't getting anywhere near that until I tried to increase my protein. Of course, that's a tricky experience as well because I'm also trying to not increase my fat!

Good luck, hope you find your happy medium!
  • mrmagee3

I hope that helps.

This ^^^. I'm diabetic, and have unsuccessfully worked on cutting my carbs for a LONG time. Of course, I'm not cutting them as drastically as you - though I wish my before number was as GOOD as yours, lol.

Anyway, eating lower carb is highly recommended for diabetes. Around 150 is the max - according to what I was taught. Anyway, I wasn't getting anywhere near that until I tried to increase my protein. Of course, that's a tricky experience as well because I'm also trying to not increase my fat!

Good luck, hope you find your happy medium!

May I ask why you don't want to increase your fats? Just curious. Protein is also glucogenic, and will raise your blood sugar (though far less than carbohydrates, obviously). The general rule, if one is cutting carbs, is to increase dietary fat and keep protein at a reasonable level.

I'm a T2 diabetic as well -- no longer need medicine.
  • WendyTerry420

From listening to your answer, it was unclear when you said: "[f]or my carbs, I make sure to get enough protein.."

As to the rest of your answer, I pretty much assumed you'd be somewhere around there. Hence why I disregarded your disagreement with me. My response to the post specifically dealt with someone dealing with energy fluctuations while eating in the 60g-100g carb range, and how to handle them. Not with someone in the 200-250 range who experiences nothing of the sort.

That's fine. I was just stating that it makes no difference to me whether or not my carbs are simple or complex. When I first started, I believed that simple carbs were "bad." Now that I know better, I'm having an easier time with my "journey."
  • mrmagee3
    That's fine. I was just stating that it makes no difference to me whether or not my carbs are simple or complex. When I first started, I believed that simple carbs were "bad." Now that I know better, I'm having an easier time with my "journey."

Ah. Yeah, as a for instance, if a person's goal is 100g of carbs a day, and they're experiencing up and down energy levels, likely the first thing I would look at would be glucose levels. Simple carbs are digested quickly, and spike your blood glucose levels, giving you a great spike of energy, which crashes until the next time you ingest it.

A complex carb will spread the glucose out over a longer period of time, keeping the roller coaster effect from happening. That's really what I was responding to, though I mostly like the other answer of "either drop your carbs and go keto, or raise them" better.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member

Actually 6 meals s day did help with insulin balance which in turn helps control carb cravings.

No, sorry - maybe in your head of backwards theories, but no.

I dont really understand the need to be condescending. May be its all that pent up anger from eating less frequently.