My Size is Hazardous to OTHERS' Health

Options
Nothing annoys me more than the "good for you"s I get after a class or when I'm commuting to or from the gym. But today, I got a little laugh. I got to my regular Yoga class a little late. There were a bunch of new people so the only spot available was in the front near the instructor. I had to change my mat position to see her so I sometimes ended up kind of facing the class. Too many times, I looked up to see someone struggle with an asana, glance at me, and then practically hurt themselves in an effort to "top" me.

What people don't know (or care about) is that, until I got sick a few years ago, I was a nationally ranked swimmer and 40 hours away from being a certified Yoga instructor. While I gained quite a bit of weight (mostly due to one of my medications) initially, I went back to my old (very healthy) eating habits as soon as I was able to sit long enough to make a sandwich, and started working out regularly as soon as I graduated from rehab.

To me, exercising is like riding a...bike. You may fumble and wobble when you first get back to it, but after a few times, it's like you never stopped. I'm still getting used to the new body, but my basic abilities are still there. Anyone who really knows me shouldn't be surprised by my strength, flexibility or dedication.

In other words, you never know another person's story, so it's best to reserve judgement until you know all the facts.

Replies

• ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Wow it seems like you lost the odds and encountered all the rudest people at one time. That's too bad. :(

To be fair, the condescending attitude and rudeness has spanned years. The yoga observation was the morning of my first post.
  • ssurvivor
    Options
    i tend to be the class clown and poke fun of myself. when i did zumba regularly, id try to make nice with new people who looked nervous and scared ( i know, its shocking that i can be nice lol). i think it helped a lot of them seeing someone who wasnt (at that point) fit by any visible distinction, and who even though i was in a regular in the class, could never master some of the moves or keep up. but i had fun, and let that show ;)

the only time anyone ever said anything that hurt was the bratty crotch fruit of one of the ladies told me i was fat. I told her she had a nasty mean attitude and id rather be fat than have that.

ironically, when i stopped the class about a year later (due to a move), I was thinner than her mom. suck it, kid.

im only nice sometimes. im blunt and to the point, but not mean.

You're exactly the way you need to be. I'm sure the newbies really appreciated you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    People say "good for you" all the time to me and I consider it to be positive and encouraging. I've worked dang hard for my success and I'll take all the feedback anyone wants to give and will choose to interpret it in a positive way. Sometimes it's in the eye of the beholder. If someone feels rude and condescending towards me (although I've met few who are), I don't give a *kitten*. It's their loss.

Quite frankly, I am amazed by everyone with good strength, flexibility, and fitness.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Most people only say "hi" to me at the gym, if they say anything at all.
  • ssurvivor
    Options
    Where do you fin all these rude condescending people?

I have encountered very very few in my whole life time.

Do you live in the Southern US? I'm from LA, but I get around. When I lived in the South, no one ever said anything rude to me about anything (even when I deserved it). It was like that in Canada too.

But in the cities where I spend most of my time (LA, NY, Boston, DC) people aren't shy about expressing their opinions.
  • ssurvivor
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Most people only say "hi" to me at the gym, if they say anything at all.

Maybe that's my problem. I keep forgetting to wear my resting *kitten* face to the gym. Without it, people think I want their approval.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was the presentation or choice of words but this came to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHonkaaLf48