My Size is Hazardous to OTHERS' Health

Options

Replies

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Why do people in general either seek approval or think others are judging them constantly? I really didn't care when I when I started and I don't care now. I would rather put my energy towards worrying about stuff I can change. Not stuff I can't change like a slight (imagined or real) or another person's thoughts.

A good book on this is "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a *kitten*: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life" by Mark Manson. Some of it is crap but a decent amount of it has a direct application if you find yourself concerned too much about others opinions.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ssurvivor wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    You can pretty much put a positive or negative spin on most anything people say or do...

This sounds like it was spawned from being uncomfortable being visible in front of the class... I've personally been to lots of yoga classes and I do try to emulate the top performers TO BETTER MYSELF, not to prove I'm better than them.

Honestly, I didn't care about them seeing me, I was worried about them distracting me from my practice. I had to close my eyes half the time But I'm honestly curious. Why look at a classmate when the instructor provides a perfectly good example? And why adjust position only after looking at the classmate - especially when you're already struggling with the basic pose? Doesn't comparing yourself to others defeat the purpose of the practice?
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    If going to the gym requires resting "B" face, then maybe you should work out at home where you can smile to yourself all day long!

Haha! Only because I'm two shades from Howard Hughes, I need the classes to get out of the house.

So your inability to devote yourself to your workout is everyone else's problem?

I don't do yoga, but I often check out other people's positions during barre, *in addition* to the instructor. Why? Because sometimes I am absolutely clueless about what we're supposed to be doing. And since the instructor moves around correcting people, seeing what a peer is doing is helpful.

And yes, sometimes other people check me out. I take it as a compliment, instead of a threat. Perhaps you should do the same.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    i tend to be the class clown and poke fun of myself. when i did zumba regularly, id try to make nice with new people who looked nervous and scared ( i know, its shocking that i can be nice lol). i think it helped a lot of them seeing someone who wasnt (at that point) fit by any visible distinction, and who even though i was in a regular in the class, could never master some of the moves or keep up. but i had fun, and let that show ;)

the only time anyone ever said anything that hurt was the bratty crotch fruit of one of the ladies told me i was fat. I told her she had a nasty mean attitude and id rather be fat than have that.

ironically, when i stopped the class about a year later (due to a move), I was thinner than her mom. suck it, kid.

im only nice sometimes. im blunt and to the point, but not mean.

Bratty crotch fruit!! :D:D:D:D OMG, I now love you and plan on trying to fit that in a sentence this weekend!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile, so eloquently stated. <3

Cheers h.