For the women out there...Free weights or machines?

Options
13»

Replies

• adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It depends on your physical capabilities. If you are weak and have never done anything before it might be better to start on machines.

I've been using mosly machines for 6 weeks, because I was so weak and worried about injuring myself. For the last couple of weeks I've started to incorporate deadlifts and barbell squats to get some practice in. The machines have given me some results, and definitely made me stronger and more confident. But it's time to move on now, so I'm starting new rules. I think your results can plateau on machines pretty quickly.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also prefer free weights.

You can learn from books, online resources, videos on youtube, and possibly making some buddies at the gym. You can also take bodypump classes which may help you learn some of the basic moves. Those classes are high reps/low weights and are inefficient and not a replacement for a good strength training program, but they can help you gain familiarity with weights. I still use a machine or two, occasionally. But, free weights are the best, get the best results, and work all on their own and are easier, more efficient and effective. A machine is just an extra thing and they don't work all on their own for achieving the best results. They really only work up to a point, and most of them are large and awkward. There isn't anything you can't do with free weights. They effectively strength train all the muscles.

And as others said, free weights are easier to use at home.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    free weights...u will feel it more-
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Free weights every time.
  • therainandthunder
    Options
    Free weights... I haven't tried machines.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that free weights are better

Less injuries as you movement isn't restricted, get better balance to developement, and its cheaper
  • beyondmywildestdreams
    Options
    Free Weights!
  • Katerina67
    Options
    Free weights!