How much do you pay a month for your gym membership?

Options
MrsPinterest34
MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
I wasn't sure where to post this question. I'm thinking of joining the gym at my job for weight training and to take some of the classes offered. I'm still thinking about it. My job charges $35 a month. I was searching around my job just to compare prices and i saw a very expensive fitness center for $200 a month! I'm curious how much others are paying monthly and also indicate if it's for yourself or family.

Replies

• THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    $55 a month at Snap fitness here in Saskatchewan. Just Myself.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    $15 per person, very basic 24-hour access, locally owned clean facility with well kept machines and free weights. No pool, no classes, no frills, no contract. I think the cost doubles if you spring for all access, which gives access to dozens of locations around town. I'm going to do that next summer when I housesit for a friend who lives across town.

It depends on what you're looking for, but my gym is perfect for me so far. There are people of all kinds, including a small helpful crowd of serious lifters who come in at 2 am, which is when I prefer to work out. The 24 hour access is the selling point for me, that and it's within walking distance.

I would love to have access to a pool, but the facilities with pools are much more expensive, and also I don't really want access to a crowded gym pool, I want a pool I can roll into whenever.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    $67 a month

What do I win?
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I have the black card on Planet so I can take my son.
    I think its like $22 a month. Does the trick for us and we get to spend time together being healthy.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
  • UnicornSmoothie
    UnicornSmoothie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have black card at planet fitness and take a friend with me on the typical day. It's all I can really afford right now, and the staff at mine keep it up really nicely. Somewhere around $20 a month.
  • ZaftigBetty
    ZaftigBetty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    In the Texas DFW area I pay $10.83 (including tax) per month with a $40 annual fee. It offers 24-hr access and free classes. As an added bonus, there is a Women's Only workout area with a theater like room playing commercial free movies, but instead of movie seats its treadmills and stationary bikes and such. They also have free childcare and the dry sauna really feels great. Also, the private dressing rooms are always clean and spacious. The customer service kinda sucks though, but I don't have to deal with customer service much unless i'm purchasing a drink.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    $50 per month...

A wellness center that charges $200 per month is going to be a lot more than just a gym. I used to belong to such a place and it was around $200 per month for a family membership...it had a tremendous amount of amenities...it was far more than just a gym.

Child care was included in the cost...it had a very nice weight room, separate cardio area, an indoor track, gymnasium for basketball and volley ball, saunas, hot tubs, two swimming pools, numerous group exercise classes, a small cafe, a coffee lounge, date night dances in the ball room, discounts on things like swimming lessons for the kids if you are a member, pool side BBQs on the weekend, school tutoring, etc...
  • taliasometimes
    taliasometimes Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    £15.99 a month. It's open 24/7 as well so pretty good. I didn't even have to pay the joining fee as there was a deal on so happy with that.

That is amazing! I pay £29.99 a month which is the cheapest i can find. most gyms here are about £38.00 per month
  • taliasometimes
    taliasometimes Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    on the Isle of Man, so we have to take what we are given!
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    In the Texas DFW area I pay $10.83 (including tax) per month with a $40 annual fee. It offers 24-hr access and free classes. As an added bonus, there is a Women's Only workout area with a theater like room playing commercial free movies, but instead of movie seats its treadmills and stationary bikes and such. They also have free childcare and the dry sauna really feels great. Also, the private dressing rooms are always clean and spacious. The customer service kinda sucks though, but I don't have to deal with customer service much unless i'm purchasing a drink.

oh I love this!!
  • Acem24
    Acem24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I live at an Apt. that offers a free body works membership. *kitten* me I'm lucky! That saves me about 30 bucks.
  • eccomi_qui
    eccomi_qui Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    on the Isle of Man, so we have to take what we are given!

Down with the patriarchy!
  • eccomi_qui
    eccomi_qui Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I pay about tree fiddy
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm in a really lucky situation where I am technically paying nothing. My apartment complex has a very small gym room with several cardio machines and a multipurpose weight machine. I paid $10 for the access key and will get that back when I return the key. It is a small gym, but it suits my needs right now. In a couple months I'll be moving though :(

In the past, I've had memberships at the YMCA and Anytime Fitness. Anytime was a year long contract and was around $50 a month I think (this was awhile ago) for one person. It sucked. I hated that overcrowded gym and when I moved, the nearest one was just inside their mile range from my home that they wouldn't allow me to cancel my membership for free.even though I didn't have a car and would have to take a cab or ride three buses for almost two hours to get to that gym. So I ended up paying monthly for something I didn't use. Jerks. The YMCA was $56 a month for one. But I wasn't making much money and they almost all have financial support programs. I applied and they only made me pay $4 a month. When I moved that time,they made no fuss about cancelling. And they have so many different programs, classes, facilities!

When I move, I'll most likely be going back to the Y. Loves their gym, loved their easy cancellation policy, etc. Wish they had better hours is my only thing.

I just have to ask, why would you ride buses for two hours when you could walk a mile in less than twenty minutes?