How much do you pay a month for your gym membership?

Options

Replies

• W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Currently I'm in a really lucky situation where I am technically paying nothing. My apartment complex has a very small gym room with several cardio machines and a multipurpose weight machine. I paid $10 for the access key and will get that back when I return the key. It is a small gym, but it suits my needs right now. In a couple months I'll be moving though :(

In the past, I've had memberships at the YMCA and Anytime Fitness. Anytime was a year long contract and was around $50 a month I think (this was awhile ago) for one person. It sucked. I hated that overcrowded gym and when I moved, the nearest one was just inside their mile range from my home that they wouldn't allow me to cancel my membership for free.even though I didn't have a car and would have to take a cab or ride three buses for almost two hours to get to that gym. So I ended up paying monthly for something I didn't use. Jerks. The YMCA was $56 a month for one. But I wasn't making much money and they almost all have financial support programs. I applied and they only made me pay $4 a month. When I moved that time,they made no fuss about cancelling. And they have so many different programs, classes, facilities!

When I move, I'll most likely be going back to the Y. Loves their gym, loved their easy cancellation policy, etc. Wish they had better hours is my only thing.

I just have to ask, why would you ride buses for two hours when you could walk a mile in less than twenty minutes?

She didn't!

Currently I'm in a really lucky situation where I am technically paying nothing. My apartment complex has a very small gym room with several cardio machines and a multipurpose weight machine. I paid $10 for the access key and will get that back when I return the key. It is a small gym, but it suits my needs right now. In a couple months I'll be moving though :(

In the past, I've had memberships at the YMCA and Anytime Fitness. Anytime was a year long contract and was around $50 a month I think (this was awhile ago) for one person. It sucked. I hated that overcrowded gym and when I moved, the nearest one was just inside their mile range from my home that they wouldn't allow me to cancel my membership for free.even though I didn't have a car and would have to take a cab or ride three buses for almost two hours to get to that gym. So I ended up paying monthly for something I didn't use. Jerks. The YMCA was $56 a month for one. But I wasn't making much money and they almost all have financial support programs. I applied and they only made me pay $4 a month. When I moved that time,they made no fuss about cancelling. And they have so many different programs, classes, facilities!

When I move, I'll most likely be going back to the Y. Loves their gym, loved their easy cancellation policy, etc. Wish they had better hours is my only thing.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    W8WarI wrote: »

I just have to ask, why would you ride buses for two hours when you could walk a mile in less than twenty minutes?

She didn't!

I think he was just asking why she'd even mention riding the bus for hours when she could walk a mile in 20 minutes to the gym.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    boehle wrote: »

She didn't!

I think he was just asking why she'd even mention riding the bus for hours when she could walk a mile in 20 minutes to the gym.

She wrote: "the nearest one was just inside their mile range from my home", this might still mean, that the gym's miles away; via her home!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    It's Free. (After the initial cost of building.) Once my girls all moved out, I build a Weight Room, Dojo, Man Cave and Bar.
  • AnnieH_4512
    AnnieH_4512 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill. That's my "gym."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

She didn't!

My understanding is that they have a mileage radius that if you move out of, you can cancel but if you're still within their radius they won't let you. I would assume what the poster meant was that the move still had her within a mile of their total radius which could be many miles...I think it's 20 or 30 or something like that. A friend of mine had the same thing happen.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I pay about $40 CDN/month for access to 3 local community centres.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

She didn't!

My understanding is that they have a mileage radius that if you move out of, you can cancel but if you're still within their radius they won't let you. I would assume what the poster meant was that the move still had her within a mile of their total radius which could be many miles...I think it's 20 or 30 or something like that. A friend of mine had the same thing happen.

Oh, okay, that makes more sense!
  • traynortransportation
    Options
    $0.00, workout in my big rig and at home.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    55 and it includes unlimited classes (that i never attend because theyre not convenient for me)

45 if i bothered to change it to NOT include classes
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Hit a sale at the nice gym in our area.$20 month each for my husband and I plus $15 for ny daughter to use pool and kid zone. We also have her taking swim lessons twice a week for an added fee.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I spent about $1000 on home equipment, plus had to buy a house with one more bedroom than I would otherwise need, which was about $4000. If I work out until I go to the old folks home it comes out to about $10 a month. The basic Anytime Fitness down the street is $35 a month, which hasn't been too enticing. When I lived in Vegas I belonged to a huge gym with two pools and an indoor track for $12 a month. I miss that gym.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    YMCA - Family of 5 - $63 +$10 Towel Service - $10 Work Discount.
    Link
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    $14 a month
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    World gym, $34 cover 24 hour access, basic cardio and weights in my town
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I've mentioned this on this site several times before, but I have an option through my health insurance so I pay $25.00 per month and can go to any gym in town. Actually, nationwide as long as the gym participates in the program. Most large ones do. I like variety so I go to 3 gyms regularly.

The cheap gym membership makes it justifiable for me to pay $300.00 per year for unlimited yoga classes. Seemed like a lot at first, but paying $10/class a couple times a week adds up quickly.
  • loveleanne
    loveleanne Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    £14.99
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Less than $30.