Do you all have tips on how to portion out your food

Options
I personally think the easiest way to portion out snacks like chips is to read how many servings are in the package and then take some sandwich bags and make that many bags of the snack. For instance if you get a bag of chex mix and the entire bag is 8 servings then you should make 8 little bags of chex mix and be close to the correct portion size.

Please add how you portion out food below <3

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    I personally think the easiest way to portion out snacks like chips is to read how many servings are in the package and then take some sandwich bags and make that many bags of the snack. For instance if you get a bag of chex mix and the entire bag is 8 servings then you should make 8 little bags of chex mix and be close to the correct portion size.

I do that with cereal or else my hand continually makes it's way into the box (for just a handful or two) and it never gets logged.
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    For me the portion sizes on the label are a curiosity and little else (I'm often interested to know whether I eat more or less than what they think the portion size is). However, when I'm actually going to eat it I go by how much I want and can fit into my calories. Then I get the scale out.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    For me the portion sizes on the label are a curiosity and little else (I'm often interested to know whether I eat more or less than what they think the portion size is). However, when I'm actually going to eat it I go by how much I want and can fit into my calories. Then I get the scale out.

I'm extremely grateful our labels show nutrition info per 100g. I don't even bother looking at food "per serving"!

Yeah, our labels show info per 100g too, sometimes with an additional column for nutrition info per recommended portion or just list the number of portions in the package with a portion recommendation on the side, but info per 100g is the standard.

I do look at portion size out of curiosity, but only use it for some foods like ice cream or oatmeal for no discernible reason.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,432 Member
    Options
    I found that serving sizes often don't add up. I might read something on a packaging like: contains approximately 5 servings (40gr). And at the bottom of the package I read that there's a total of 230gr inside the package, thus nearly 6 servings.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

But the labels are out by up to 20% ?

Scale everytime
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I just put the bowl on the scale, turn on the scale, and put food in the bowl until the scale reaches the weight of food I plan to eat.

that.

i either eat it then or put it in a container to take to work that day.

im far too lazy to do an entire bag of chips or whatever at one time, not to mention keeping track of all the *kitten*.

no thanks.
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I weigh the pack, use what I want, reweigh the pack and subtract... then I log the amount of grams I've had!
    This works particularly well with cream cheese, peanut butter, spreads etc... but works for nuts, crisps and snacks equally well
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    amc2509 wrote: »
    I weigh the pack, use what I want, reweigh the pack and subtract... then I log the amount of grams I've had!
    This works particularly well with cream cheese, peanut butter, spreads etc... but works for nuts, crisps and snacks equally well

An easier scale trick if you're not using a separate bowl for something: instead of subtracting, put the bag/jar on the scale, tare it to zero, remove the portion you want, and the scale will show the weight of the portion removed without having to subtract. Some scales don't go into the negative, so may not work for everyone.

This. I set the containing on the scale. take out what I want. it read the -g that I took out. done.