Do you all have tips on how to portion out your food

Options

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of making portioning out a whole bag of something to just grab. Currently the only thing that I would have to do that for are chicharrones. If I keep the bag in the kitchen, I might weigh out a serving, but if I keep them in the dining room I just dig in the bag and eat. I rarely buy chips and if I do they are already prepackaged. Everything else I just weigh it before I eat it.
  • GlorianasTears
    GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I like the idea of making portioning out a whole bag of something to just grab. Currently the only thing that I would have to do that for are chicharrones. If I keep the bag in the kitchen, I might weigh out a serving, but if I keep them in the dining room I just dig in the bag and eat. I rarely buy chips and if I do they are already prepackaged. Everything else I just weigh it before I eat it.

Can't lie I'm often lazy so when snacking I just put stuff in baggies to exercise some self control especially if I'm watching t.v while snacking lol
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I use a scale for meat and items I know I tend to underestimate the weight of. Veggies and milk I use a half cup measuring cup. For cheese, I buy the mozzarella sticks or presliced cheese
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I’m all about the food scale for things most things. But I still like to portion out snacks by serving so they are grab an go.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    What if I want two servings? or what if I want 48grams of a 90gram serving because it fits my calories?
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have lots of little snack containers and snack baggies. I don’t rely on what the container says for servings though, I use my scale and go by the serving size in grams. If I don’t portion it out like this, I use my scale and put it on a plate or in a bowl. I never eat straight out of the bag.

I don’t need the barcode/info because I’ve already added it my foods in the app.
    If I want more, I eat more. If I want less, I eat less.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    What if I want two servings?

Log two servings.
    or what if I want 48grams of a 90gram serving because it fits my calories?

Log 0.53 servings (48/90 = .533333...)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    The multipacks of crisps (chips) I buy are 25g and come in at 135 cals.
    If I went for KP Skips, its a 13g pack for 81 cals.
  • gjw1911
    gjw1911 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything, except for items that I have a tendency to overeat, and those item I just don't buy them or have them in the house, or I buy them in individual servings.
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think scale is easier. No need to waste several bags. I just weigh out whatever I want to eat and seal the bag/container. I don't always eat exactly the serving size listed, so that's another reason why scale is easier for me. Just look at my calories for the day and how many I'm willing to spend on any particular thing and weigh out the amount of calories I feel is appropriate.

This. I weigh and prelog just about everything before I eat it and if it comes in over what I'm prepared to spend, I don't eat it/as much of it.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't look at servings, I just weigh whatever it is I'm eating and calculate the calories for it
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Log two servings.

Oh really? Like I haven't been here for years.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    food. scale.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options

Log two servings.

Oh really? Like I haven't been here for years.

Then why did you ask?
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    For me the portion sizes on the label are a curiosity and little else (I'm often interested to know whether I eat more or less than what they think the portion size is). However, when I'm actually going to eat it I go by how much I want and can fit into my calories. Then I get the scale out.

I'm extremely grateful our labels show nutrition info per 100g. I don't even bother looking at food "per serving"!

Gah. I wish the US would get on board with this. Stupid imperial system.

I think they are. A majority of the foods I get and weigh have gram measurements on them.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    PikaJoyJoy wrote: »
    For me the portion sizes on the label are a curiosity and little else (I'm often interested to know whether I eat more or less than what they think the portion size is). However, when I'm actually going to eat it I go by how much I want and can fit into my calories. Then I get the scale out.

I'm extremely grateful our labels show nutrition info per 100g. I don't even bother looking at food "per serving"!

Gah. I wish the US would get on board with this. Stupid imperial system.

I think they are. A majority of the foods I get and weigh have gram measurements on them.

I think more and more US products are getting grams, but the Australian labeling system (which shows both nutrition per "serving" and then nutrition per 100g) makes it so much easier to compare. No math needed if one product's serving is 30g and the others is 55g.