Does anyone else suffer from mental health issues depression, anxiety,etc and trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• jjalbertt
    jjalbertt Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You're def not alone in this! I have depression and anxiety and lately have a hard time making it to the gym...let alone having the effort to cook for myself. But I always keep trying! Feel free to add me, I have an open diary!
  • jenniferc933
    jenniferc933 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are all 'insightful', 'inspiring' and I 'like' everything you all wrote - it makes me feel stronger, not so alone.

I also feel a sense of wonderment that even though we are all suffering, there are gutsy people out there willing to let others know that even with depression/anxiety/insomnia and other serious illness you can keep on keeping on.

Hugs to you all.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Not just you! These issues can make staying continually motivated a problem, but it can still definitely be done!
  • camocutie1990
    camocutie1990 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do. I actually put on 30 pounds after I finally got put on medication to help control my anxiety and depression (It's a big side effect). I also have a short attention span when it comes to trying to lose weight. I have a co-worker who is trying to help keep me accountable on sticking to it this time.
  • GypsyLotus
    GypsyLotus Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You are not alone!! I have anxiety, depression, and PTSD, and while it does pose extra challenges In sticking to a routine, I’m determined to make it work.

A big thing for me is making sure I’m doing the best I can (self care) to manage my mental illness. That is most important. I am on medication, I see a therapist once every other week, I journal, and I listen to guided meditations for stress and panic attacks. I’ve also found that gentle (beginner) yoga helps with anxiety and depression. I suggest Yoga With Adrienne on YouTube :)

As others have said, it’s okay to go slow with developing a routine and making changes in exercise or diet. You are discovering what works for you, and everyone is different. Right now I’m focusing on making sure I get to the gym 5 days a week. Whether I stay for 5 minutes or an hour, it doesn’t matter. I’m just working on getting in the habit of going. I’m tracking my foods using MFP, but I’m not focusing too heavily on making major changes just yet. Just observing what I’m putting into my body for now, and trying my best to make better food choices based on the trends I’m seeing. And being kind to myself when I mess up.

Lastly, surround yourself with supportive people who will motive and encourage you. This app is a great place for that. Feel free to add me, I’m always looking for new fitness friends:) cheers!
  • tinagrant2739
    tinagrant2739 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    okay so i see your still here, And im home from work. So here goes-Summary at end

I suffered for years stuck in my house. What started as a heart condition- I had an infection in my heart that should have killed me. I got it at 19 and i was unable to even take myself to the bathroom. Seriously. I started out with very few friends and far to proud to ask for help. I spent from the ages of 13-17 homeless (terrible home life i ran away from) and was to proud to even ask anyone then for any help. Never once did i ask anyone for food or a place to stay. I develped into a very internal person. I never really learned to be social or trust anyone.

When i had just begun to get my life under my control, Had a good job i loved and my own little apartment. I didnt have alot but i was happy. Then i got sick. And i felt i had went a HUGE step backwards. I resented the world. I was mad that i worked SO hard just to be told i was going to die. I figured if i was going to die there was no way i was going to do it in a hospital. SO i went home and got worse and worse. At one point i literally was laying in a bed of my own piss because i was to weak to get myself to the bathroom. I spiraled in self hate and i hated the world. Everything seemed unfair.

Went on for about a year and a half of teetering between times im unable to feed self because i couldnt get to a store, And times i couldnt even get to a bathroom or to shower. I was given 6 months and 2 years later i was still alive. Honestly not sure why but i hated that to. I wasnt sleeping and i wasnt leaving my house i hadnt been social in literally years. I had no one and really nothing. I was depressed beyond belief, Rightfully so id say. I was a depressed mess. I am bipolar with Schizophrenic tendencies aswell so pretty much a mess of a human being.

So yes i believe your not alone. I honestly ran out of fight and was living almost stubbornly wishing i wasnt anymore.

I still cant remember making the choice to change, I never even believed i had an option. But something had went right anyway that i didnt die to begin with. I started with tiny things. Few steps. Standing up and sitting down. Slowly over another year i had gotten myself to a place i could move and i could see hope. I decided i wanted beter for myself, If i wasnt going to die peacefully i figured i mise will fight. So i did.

Its been 2 years since then, And now i work an extremely active job, I walk ALOT even though i hate it, Because i learned to take comfort and pride that i CAN. I put all my hate and anxiety and stress over my lack of social skills into math. The math involved in weight loss became a huge comfort for me. Every problem i ever had became less and less because i had a focus. Something to work on. Was immeasurably comforting to be able to control something in my life. Being able to control something in my life so accurately made everything else easier. I forced myself to begin socializing, Although admittedly im still a *kitten* social butterfly, But i can smile and hold my own and even be the life of a party, For a few hours anyway lol. Work in progress.

And im down 110 pounds. Im fit and im healthy and my heart is doing alot beter. I still have a *kitten* little apartment and a *kitten* job, But i love it. I appreciate the small stuff now that iv trained myself to let go of things i cant control and focus on what i can.

Basically, Yes iv been there done that and dealt with alot to. Most of us have. We just decide we deserve beter. We deserve to be happy and fit. Once that switch in our brains go off, Its hard to switch it back. You need to truly realize you deserve it. Because you do. You deserve everything you want in life, You just need to work for it. Take comfort in the small things. Try to let what you cant control get washed away by things you can. When you get knocked off course in life try to remain focused on the course you want for yourself. Aslong as we keep taking the baby steps to care for ourselves, Everything else falls into place. Stay focused and remember your not alone, Even when you think the world is against you. I strongly believe we get dealt a hand in life that tests us to breaking point, But its because we are strong enough to handle it. Your here and your fighting and your strong. And you do deserve it.

*kitten* im cheesy. Sorry for the mini rant. your just not alone, Your never alone, And we got this ;) Its not easy it takes work and you need to work daily, But it does get easier. Even if you have to fake it till you make it :D
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    okay so i see your still here, And im home from work. So here goes-Summary at end

I suffered for years stuck in my house. What started as a heart condition- I had an infection in my heart that should have killed me. I got it at 19 and i was unable to even take myself to the bathroom. Seriously. I started out with very few friends and far to proud to ask for help. I spent from the ages of 13-17 homeless (terrible home life i ran away from) and was to proud to even ask anyone then for any help. Never once did i ask anyone for food or a place to stay. I develped into a very internal person. I never really learned to be social or trust anyone.

When i had just begun to get my life under my control, Had a good job i loved and my own little apartment. I didnt have alot but i was happy. Then i got sick. And i felt i had went a HUGE step backwards. I resented the world. I was mad that i worked SO hard just to be told i was going to die. I figured if i was going to die there was no way i was going to do it in a hospital. SO i went home and got worse and worse. At one point i literally was laying in a bed of my own piss because i was to weak to get myself to the bathroom. I spiraled in self hate and i hated the world. Everything seemed unfair.

Went on for about a year and a half of teetering between times im unable to feed self because i couldnt get to a store, And times i couldnt even get to a bathroom or to shower. I was given 6 months and 2 years later i was still alive. Honestly not sure why but i hated that to. I wasnt sleeping and i wasnt leaving my house i hadnt been social in literally years. I had no one and really nothing. I was depressed beyond belief, Rightfully so id say. I was a depressed mess. I am bipolar with Schizophrenic tendencies aswell so pretty much a mess of a human being.

So yes i believe your not alone. I honestly ran out of fight and was living almost stubbornly wishing i wasnt anymore.

I still cant remember making the choice to change, I never even believed i had an option. But something had went right anyway that i didnt die to begin with. I started with tiny things. Few steps. Standing up and sitting down. Slowly over another year i had gotten myself to a place i could move and i could see hope. I decided i wanted beter for myself, If i wasnt going to die peacefully i figured i mise will fight. So i did.

Its been 2 years since then, And now i work an extremely active job, I walk ALOT even though i hate it, Because i learned to take comfort and pride that i CAN. I put all my hate and anxiety and stress over my lack of social skills into math. The math involved in weight loss became a huge comfort for me. Every problem i ever had became less and less because i had a focus. Something to work on. Was immeasurably comforting to be able to control something in my life. Being able to control something in my life so accurately made everything else easier. I forced myself to begin socializing, Although admittedly im still a *kitten* social butterfly, But i can smile and hold my own and even be the life of a party, For a few hours anyway lol. Work in progress.

And im down 110 pounds. Im fit and im healthy and my heart is doing alot beter. I still have a *kitten* little apartment and a *kitten* job, But i love it. I appreciate the small stuff now that iv trained myself to let go of things i cant control and focus on what i can.

Basically, Yes iv been there done that and dealt with alot to. Most of us have. We just decide we deserve beter. We deserve to be happy and fit. Once that switch in our brains go off, Its hard to switch it back. You need to truly realize you deserve it. Because you do. You deserve everything you want in life, You just need to work for it. Take comfort in the small things. Try to let what you cant control get washed away by things you can. When you get knocked off course in life try to remain focused on the course you want for yourself. Aslong as we keep taking the baby steps to care for ourselves, Everything else falls into place. Stay focused and remember your not alone, Even when you think the world is against you. I strongly believe we get dealt a hand in life that tests us to breaking point, But its because we are strong enough to handle it. Your here and your fighting and your strong. And you do deserve it.

*kitten* im cheesy. Sorry for the mini rant. your just not alone, Your never alone, And we got this ;) Its not easy it takes work and you need to work daily, But it does get easier. Even if you have to fake it till you make it :D

Wow very powerful! thank u for sharing ❤️

• missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Recently diagnosed Bipolar II and now weight loss feels like a foreign language almost. Was down 60. Now hovering between 45-50 lost. I want to lose another 20lbs. Things now have to be based around what's best for my mental health (sleeping and resting when in hypomania, abstaining from caffeine) I love working out and I like to use pre-workout. Has anyone been able to remain stable and still use pre-workout/stimulant products at the gym?