Gym vs Home Workouts

Options
13»

Replies

• THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned, going to the gym keeps me tunnel vision focused on my goal. It gets me out of the house and I like being around the other lifters.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to a gym, but my employment situation changed and I don't want a preauthorized debit coming out each month.

I have a fitness glider in my basement. I prefer walking for 2 hours or more per day, but sometimes weather or other commitments intervene. When they do, I do 65 minutes on the glider.

One disadvantage to working out at home is that I don't have anyone who can spot me on a regular basis, so I'm not even trying to lift heavy. But I've got a book on strength training, dumbbells up to 15lbs (and picking up a pair of 17.5lb-ers I had to get the store to order for me), ankle weights, a stability ball, a cardio step, a mat, a couple of balls (Nerf soccer and 7" 'bouncy'; some of my exercises require one or the other), a 4lb medicine ball, and resistance tubes and bands.

Plus, thanks to the feline who just moved in, I get regular CAT-scans...
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I used to prefer home workouts. I’ve done Insanity Max30 three times now but last year I joined a ladies boxing program and became good friends with the women. Now, even though boxing class ended, I really prefer the gym because the women I meet to work out with push me. We take turns building the workouts so it’s always something new and challenging. With the dvds at home I pretty much have every workout memorized now
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I do 90% of my training in my basement powerlifting gym. 1200 pounds of plates, some adjustable plate loaded dumbbells, and a cable machine for joint friendly accessories.

ym8obizvvffn.jpeg
    d25rrg73atyp.jpeg

However, I have two free gym memberships — Anytime Fitness and the gym I train clients out of — and I’m helping my friend open a premier powerlifting facility in Milwaukee. (We’re picking up more equipment today.) Also, I train at other gyms around the metro area with other powerlifters for variety and friendship. I call it gym #gymtourism

For me it’s all good. I love this lifestyle. I love the gym and the other likewise nerds I meet there.
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I workout from home. My days are always busy so this saves me lots of time. Slowly building my home gym
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    My home is my gym. It suits my life perfectly. I don't have to drive 30 mins each way to get to a gym for one thing. Who wants to waste an hour of their life on the road driving when I can be working out for that hour at home. Its time efficient (Plus I can workout in my jammies if I want to LOL)