What should we really be eating...This is not for the faint hearted

Options
13»

Replies

• CourtneyUT
    CourtneyUT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If we were meant to be vegetarians, why do we have sharp canine teeth?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just wanted to drop in and say a huge thank you to everyone who has responded. Your input has definitely put a new spin on how this programme first left me feeling and I'm definitely spurred on to try more vegetarian meals/plant based options. This week alone, I've had 2 days completely meat free, having enjoyed dinners of veggie pasta and sweet potato, chick pea and spinach curry. Lunches this week consisted of banana sandwiches, fruit and nuts. Breakfast being overnight oats with berries. This week has actually been rather enjoyable.

I have still been eating meat. I have recently (before putting up this post) started buying fresh meat as opposed to frozen. I found the quality to be better when getting it from the butchers counter in my local supermarket. I'm not sure how true this is, but I think the meat is better sourced (I really hope this is true).

I'm not sure yet how it sits with me about the whole production of meat, quality of animal life and hygiene behind meat preparation/butchering. My head and my heart seem to be battling it out, but I somehow seem to be ok with the thought of actually eating it. I think my best option would be to go part time vegetarian???? I'm not sure if I'm confusing some of my feelings with searching for approval to continue eating meat.

Let's say this experience has been rather eye opening...

I'm not sure about where you are located, but there is a local butcher here and they have antibiotic and growth hormone free animals from local farmers. It costs more, but I was amazed the first time that I cooked with their meat. It smelled and tasted like the meat we had growing up. Perhaps you can find something similar in your area. I think it's great that you are thinking about these things, exploring options, and keeping open to the viewpoint of others.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It boils down to this. Know where your food comes from. So many people have no idea where the food they put in their mouths came from. Every time someone cries alarm at these documentaries I wonder if they've ever been to a farm or if all they eat is manufactured crap.

Any farmer worth his salt would not abuse his paycheck.

If you want to make a difference - change the people in power. Quit voting for big business. Put your dollar where your mouth is. Pay the extra buck for good quality meat and produce - eat in season.

Knowledge is power.