Why I don't lift weights in the winter

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
I still shovel out the driveway by hand. Burned around 300 calories for 67 minutes of shoveling. My poor abs!
ytavow41s532.jpg
cy168oq1e086.jpg
66974gwaq24q.jpg

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Shoveling out by hand is kind of like bringing a stick to a gun fight. At least your snow isn't that deep yet.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    id rahter lift weights.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Well done!

I used to live in So. Lake Tahoe.

It was snow-blower or die. :lol:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Come do mine now?
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love shoveling. Its practically a winter sport where I live LOL
  • daddio66in2000
    daddio66in2000 Posts: 33 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I know Indiana winters are just a dusting to some of you but at 53 an out of shape, I have had enough of them.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    We haven't been able to get the snow blower started this winter, so I've been a shoveling fool as well. Fortunately it has been just a few inches at a time this year (in painfully cold weather). It is really an outstanding workout, I agree!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Got that right! I've got a guy on contract to plow if we get 6" or more all at once, since garage to road takes 2 hours or so to shovel, or around 4 hours for the whole thing. If it's < 6", I can drive over it in a pinch, and shovel later. Great workout! (I still try to lift in Winter, though, since I can't row on a crunchy river. ;) ).

j5ve72c3ye53.jpg
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don't miss that! Consider that if you lifted weights consistently, the shoveling would become easier!
  • aalcon
    aalcon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    GYM first shovel later!! Double workout means ice cream later
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You did a great job! Living in Rome, I miss the snow--crazy I know. Have a hot toddy.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Nice workout :smiley:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Heh i love living in a place where going to the snow is strictly recreational!! It's the cruelest thing, the days you must want to stay inside and keep warm require the midst outdoor work...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Looking good! I've been doing the shoveling myself this year for the first time and it's certainly a good workout! Our house is in a heavy foot-trafficked part of town, plus it faces south, so after the shoveling, I've got to sweep or we get crazy bad ice (which is why I took over from the landlord this year).
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    "why i don't lift in the winter" would be more about ice-cold barbells :p

great work though, especially if it's your abs that are feeling it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You call that snow? I'd use my leaf blower if we got that little..... B)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I know you're joking. This is my half of the shoveling. Hubby shoveled out the same amount 10-11 am. We're supposed to get freezing rain tonight and I do not want to shovel out all that snow with an icy crust.

Shoveling being an all-body workout is easier for me to do than gym weight lifting. If you don't have snow or don't want to go outside, you can always try Shovelglove. http://www.shovelglove.com/ ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I know you're joking. This is my half of the shoveling. Hubby shoveled out the same amount 10-11 am. We're supposed to get freezing rain tonight and I do not want to shovel out all that snow with an icy crust.

Shoveling being an all-body workout is easier for me to do than gym weight lifting. If you don't have snow or don't want to go outside, you can always try Shovelglove. http://www.shovelglove.com/ ;)

I hate freezing rain...... it's about the only thing guaranteed to make me skip a run. It always amazes me the France & England battled over the northern Americas while the Spanish were smart enough to head for the beach.....