Previous Smokers .... I just quit and I'm miserable - any SUCCESS Stories ?

Options
I quit smoking on Saturday..... I was never a heavy smoker but I did smoke daily and mostly in the evening after work ... I'm having a hard time. I went cold turkey for the first time and I am SO EMOTIONAL. I spent most of Saturday and sunday crying... especially when we broke down on the 401. I feel like someone close to me has died.

I guess I'm just looking for support ... Right now I'm either ready to cry or extremely IRRITABLE and FRUSTRATED ... I know it sounds extreme, but right now, I feel like What the hell is the point to this life. I feel like I have nothing to look forward to. My work involves me interacting with around 80-100 people a day and I am about ready to rip the head off of the next person that asks me how I am .

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I randomly came across this page and decided to quit the same day. That was over 3 years ago now and I haven't touched it since.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in 2006 and it was easy. I stopped smoking at home first (or away from home, I don't remember), and then when the last pack was gone, it was over. I had some strange sensations, bad taste in my mouth (blood, dirt), but it soon passed. My sense of smell increased suddenly, or maye I just imagined it. It was liberating. It was just a bad habit I had had for 15 years.

(Getting my eating habits in check took me an additional 8-10 years and is a work in progress.)
  • Robo014
    Robo014 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Went cold turkey 38 years ago, after a bad dose of the flu, cigarettes tasted fowl so I didn't smoke for 4 days and then thought I'm over the worst part of stopping so I'll try to give it up again, haven't smoked since, Good Luck
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i quit and made a healthy lifestyle was smoking almost a pack a day for years, an when I quit and started running i could run for less then 60 seconds , took out my urge to smoke on running, then about 1 1/2 months ago I started getting into depression and started smoking the same amount and instead of going to gym 6=7 days a week id go once a week and gained 10 lbs, now about 4 weeks ago i quit an am running 40 minutes straight and can breath so much better, I fined when I quit smoking i need to sleep for a while, usually takes 4 days cold Turkey to kick the habit, its really is a gross habit, and expensive, coughing up nasty stuff and being addicted to some thing so unhealthy is really just not worth it, my dad is a huge smoker he smokes at least 2 1/2 packs aday since he was 11 he just quit last Saturday hes 58, im so proud of him, he had hard time breathing when he got a simple cold I think it really scared him, he started an inhaler thing, seems to be working, he also has emphysema and sleep apnea from smoking, you can do it!! fined a healthy habit
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Chantix helped me. Smoke free since 2011.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to quit!! The good part is that you've passed through physical withdrawl, the battle now is to break the psychological habit, not so easy, but you've done it!!

After more far too many years of smoking (I stupidly started when I was 13), and far too many attempts at quitting, I've now been smoke free for just over 14 years. I was ready and I quit cold turkey. I felt like hell for the first week, and then it started to get better. I started knitting. A lot. Family and friends ended up with sweaters, scarves, hats, comforters, you name it. Puzzles worked as well. Just small things that keep your hands busy and your mind occupied.

After a month, I started to feel better. The morning cough was gone. My hair and clothing didn't stink, and in the long run, not only did I do something great for my health, I saved a huge amount of money!

Sorry about the breakdown, the 401 sucks at the best of times, never mind being stuck on the side waiting for CAA in the freezing temps we've had as of late. You can do it!
  • mamabear1114
    mamabear1114 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started smoking when I was 14. To be honest, when I finally decided to quit, it took me two years to slowly scale back. I used to smoke about a pack a day. Finally after two years I got down to one cigarette per day and then I realized smoking one cigarette a day actually made me feel worse so I was finally able to give it up. Maybe I’m not the best example of how to quit considering cold turkey is probably the best for your health BUT I did quit and haven’t touched a cigarette in over two years. Just know once you finally drop it for good you will feel so free. I never imagined in a million years I could quit but I did it. I’m a weenie, so if I can do it, I know you can too. :)))
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking at the end of November its been hard definitely but I feel so much better now!

It does get easier I only get occasional urges now and they pass quickly.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    at first it is hard, but it gets easier, think of it this way, every cigarette that you do not smoke? that is money towards that fancy new handbag ;)

joking aside, it gets easier, chew gun, mint, do stuff to take your mind away from smoking, keep your hands/fingers occupied

when me and my brother in law quit, we started looking after gold fish

get a box, everyday that you do not smoke, put in a £5
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I quit in 2005 for good. I loved smoking at the time so it was hard for me. The first few days are the worst so once you're through that, keep going! Now I find smoking disgusting and can't believe I used to smoke! You can do it!
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I quit 3 different times before I gave it up for good on my 4th try. It'll be 2 years at the end of this month since my last cigarette and honestly there are some days that I forget that I was a smoker for so long! It SUCKED in the beginning, especially when I was around other smokers, but now I don't even have cravings for them like I used to. I do still have dreams though, at least 1-2 times a month, that I've started again and each time I wake up SO mad at myself until I remember LOL. Things that helped me were Tic Tacs, the patch, candy crush on my phone (each time I wanted to go smoke I would play a game or two) and avoiding other smokers for a few weeks as best I could.