Do I need to eat my exercise calories?

Options
Btheodore138
Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 5'2, 153 lbs, and sedentary to lightly active depending on the day. I have my calories set to 1200, and so far I'm feeling OK with that number. Question is for the few days a week I exercise: should I be eating extra calories those days, since 1200 is the absolute minimum calories one should be eating? Will it bite me in the @ss if I just stick to 1200 no matter what I do that day?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yes eat (most) your exercise calories back, your body needs them.
  • all4eternity125
    all4eternity125 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    guess, I've been doing it wrong the whole time! I choose all food for the day, well plan, log in app in advance, see if calories and macros match. Trying to eat up to 1500 kcal. But some days I have very hard training, 45min circuit, heavy lifting and after that 20min of hiit, plus walking upstairs( 10 floors) several times a day and walking uphill to work (2km uphill). Burn 500-800 kcal. But never eat them back. Stick to my 1500 initially. But if I eat back those, that would make over 2000 kcal a day and I'm trying to lose some kg so I'm afraid to do so.
    Really don't know what to do! What is your experience?
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Eat back the calories. At least 50 percent. I've eaten back 100 percent and I've lost 35 lbs. So far.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have to eat back my exercise calories or else I feel tired, ravenously hungry and malnourished. That being said, I don't always have time to eat them back and I can usually tell the next day.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    guess, I've been doing it wrong the whole time! I choose all food for the day, well plan, log in app in advance, see if calories and macros match. Trying to eat up to 1500 kcal. But some days I have very hard training, 45min circuit, heavy lifting and after that 20min of hiit, plus walking upstairs( 10 floors) several times a day and walking uphill to work (2km uphill). Burn 500-800 kcal. But never eat them back. Stick to my 1500 initially. But if I eat back those, that would make over 2000 kcal a day and I'm trying to lose some kg so I'm afraid to do so.
    I've lost 113 lbs, from obese to normal weight, while never eating fewer than 1600 gross calories a day, usually more like 2100, and maintaining a deficit through shorter periods of intense exercise. I take my calorie burns with a grain of salt, but for the most part my bike and mapmyhike seem to have been pretty accurate, as reflected by my rate of loss. I also record strength training sessions as a generic "strength training" period under cardio so it gives me calories.

Doing HIIT, lifting, and strength training without enough food is going to burn through muscle. The main thing is to observe your rate of loss (I weigh every day but record only my weekly low) and adjust.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Remember that your daily calorie allotment is an estimate of what you need on average. So you certainly don't need to eat back all your exercise calories on the same day you exercise. When I cut, I often don't eat all the exercise calories back, and subsequently I have at times lost slightly more than a pound a week.

The consensus of the nutrition community appears to indicate that its fine to lose up to 2 lbs per week (presuming you have significant weight to lose). I have to say that shooting for 2 is very difficult, and I did better staying closer to 1, even though it takes longer. Again, you have to be mindful of weight variations, which can also be easily plus or minus 2 lbs day-to-day. Weighing daily and computing a moving average (or just looking at the spread and eyeballing it, which is what I do) is required.

Finally, MFP is a little heavy handed in stating a daily calorie minimum. I imagine that there are some (essentially, very petite) people who need very low calorie numbers to lose weight. But this is an unusual situation, and if you have any questions about your situation, it pays to consult a doctor or nutritionist.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you net below 1200 calories for too long (like a few months), all sorts of crappy things start to happen to your body, such as constipation and hair loss and vitamin D deficiency. I know because last year I was a weight loss rock star, but felt like *kitten* about 6 months in, when I should have felt awesome having lost 50lbs or so at that point. Instead, I ended up on heavy-duty vitamin D supplements and promised my doctor I would eat at least 1200 calories + whatever I earned in exercise.

I still have lost all of the weight I wanted to lose, and it hasn't really taken any longer than had I adjusted my calories-per-week expectation and just ate more from the beginning--either through a smaller deficit or eating more of my exercise calories.
  • Texas_Don
    Texas_Don Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A great protein shake with all the nutrients is a great way to quickly make up exercise calories :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

My FitBit One is far less generous with calories than the MFP database and I comfortably eat 100% of the calories I earn from it back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

I'd be more afraid of losing my hair and fertility.

This type of loss only works for a while, then bad things happen.

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I'd be more afraid of losing my hair and fertility.

This type of loss only works for a while, then bad things happen.

This and muscle loss, I wouldn't eat that low consistently because I don't want my body to eat my muscle.