Is Creatine Worth It ?

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch
    3g is more than enough for someone who is fun-sized.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Do you know if the bloat is from the creatine though?
    I can't remember reading anywhere that it did, it was one of my worries- just can't lift with bloating :)

I suppose you could go off it for a couple of months, see what effects there are, then decide to go back on if it is not causing the bloat but your lifts are suffering.

(Run an experiment and report back on it.)

Cheers, h.

Supposedly if there's any water retention associated with it, it's intramuscular - not subcutaneous. It supposedly volumizes the muscles but doesn't cause bloating.

2-5lbs is not unusual to gain while taking creatine. Personally, it gave me terrible stomach cramping.

Its definitely safe and one of the most proven supplement on the market. But id also ask why the OP feels they need Creatine? Are you lifts not progressing or is this a buffer to try and maximize everything.

Did your gastro issues occur during the loading period, or when taking regular (i.e. 5g/day) doses? I've seen it reported as being more common during the loading period. I don't have any personal experience with that aspect of it since I didn't do a loading period, just started taking 5g/day. I never had any gastro issues with creatine, but.....n=1.

I don't load, but for the first 5-10 days at 5g/day I do notice some gastro/bloating/increased GI flow rate.

I don't cycle, but I don't use it when I'm on vacation or travelling, etc.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Creatine always makes me bloated. During a bulk, it feels worse due to the increase in food.

I cycle off creatine when I go into maintenance...generally, I drop 2lbs of water weight and the gastro bloating improves.

I do feel like creatine aids in my recovery. Stop taking it for a couple of weeks and see if the bloating improves...see how it effects your lifts/recovery.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    @Davidsdottir, can you remember when you started the bloat?
    Curious as I am only on day 4 and it is worth me observing if it happens. I've not pre loaded and only doing 3g at the moment.

Being 100lbs I wasn't sure if 5g would be overkill- feedback welcome :) (without thread hijacking)

Cheers, h.

Doesn't hurt to do 5g but 3g shouldn't be much if any different for you. The problem is that this is a supplement so there isn't much fine tuning of actual dosage. I would say just play with the dosage a bit and see.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't take it. But I would imagine I get a lot of it from my diet so probably not necessary. I think I do just fine though so who knows what difference it would make.

Maybe try going without for a while and see how you feel?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    My workouts have been good. Some days better than others. Most days I hit my goals, but there are some I don't. I'm not sure if the creatine is really doing anything specific for me. I'd love to see if, by going off it, u can maintain my lift and bulk momentum while feeling less fluffy and gross.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    My workouts have been good. Some days better than others. Most days I hit my goals, but there are some I don't. I'm not sure if the creatine is really doing anything specific for me. I'd love to see if, by going off it, u can maintain my lift and bulk momentum while feeling less fluffy and gross.

Your bulk momentum won't be impacted since you are trying to gain muscle and the creatine doesn't really add much to muscle gain. Just take the plunge and go off the creatine and I doubt you'll miss it. I certainly haven't.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I started taking it about 2 weeks ago and I can tell a definite improvement in my recovery. DOMS is not nearly as bad.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Your bulk momentum won't be impacted since you are trying to gain muscle and the creatine doesn't really add much to muscle gain. Just take the plunge and go off the creatine and I doubt you'll miss it. I certainly haven't.

What Wheelhouse said ^^. It won't effect your bulk in any noticeable way.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Thanks @Wheelhouse15 and @mmapags I think that's what I'm looking for!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Good luck with your bulk and keep us posted on the progress. Many of us have done bulking and can help support you when you are doubting yourself.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Good luck with your bulk and keep us posted on the progress. Many of us have done bulking and can help support you when you are doubting yourself.

I appreciate it! This is my 4th bulk, but I'm already at me end of last bulk weight and I'm nervous for sure.
  • sardelsa
    Options

I appreciate it! This is my 4th bulk, but I'm already at me end of last bulk weight and I'm nervous for sure.

That is awesome. I forgot to ask you.. do you compete or plan to in the future?
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

That is awesome. I forgot to ask you.. do you compete or plan to in the future?

Nope, I have no interest in having to diet down to get lean enough! I just want to be bigger for myself.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

For me it was after I had lost a lot of weight and then maintained for a few months that I started on a clean bulking program. Wow, I realized that I had former fat guy syndrome (ok not a real term but it fits) when every time the scale went up a little more than I wanted it to I would see myself getting fluffy in the mirror while others would looking at me wondering what drugs I was on and if I should be put into a program.

It's really hard to look objectively at yourself because you tend to notice things you hadn't before and wonder if you are really gaining the weight the way you want. Oh, fun times!
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

For me it was after I had lost a lot of weight and then maintained for a few months that I started on a clean bulking program. Wow, I realized that I had former fat guy syndrome (ok not a real term but it fits) when every time the scale went up a little more than I wanted it to I would see myself getting fluffy in the mirror while others would looking at me wondering what drugs I was on and if I should be put into a program.

It's really hard to look objectively at yourself because you tend to notice things you hadn't before and wonder if you are really gaining the weight the way you want. Oh, fun times!

Hah! I have former skinny guy syndrome. I'm on a cut now and have dropped from 240 to 222 and I get freaked out when I look into the mirror. I feel like I look like a twig. Luckily it's winter, so I can wear jackets to hide my shame. ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Hah! I have former skinny guy syndrome. I'm on a cut now and have dropped from 240 to 222 and I get freaked out when I look into the mirror. I feel like I look like a twig. Luckily it's winter, so I can wear jackets to hide my shame. ;)

Yeah, and to me a guy 222 is a monster lol.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    The real question is:

Are you worth it?

Can you clarify what you mean by this ?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    The real question is:

Are you worth it?