Weight swinging back & worth

I am aware that losing weight is non-linear. Jist curious that if there is any explanation for weight going back & worth?
Thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,312 Member
    Amount of waste in your system.

Salt intake/water intake.

If you're female, hormonal swings.

Sleep.

Stress.

With that said, your image shows less than a one pound swing. Weight can fluctuate by five pounds or so on any given day.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Amount of waste in your system.

Salt intake/water intake.

If you're female, hormonal swings.

Sleep.

Stress.

With that said, your image shows less than a one pound swing. Weight can fluctuate by five pounds or so on any given day.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

This and also:
    • medication
    • changes in macros
    • changes in exercise routine
    • alcohol (impacting hydration)
    • illness/injury recovery

And many many other things.
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Your weighing every single day, as the others have said, LOADS of factors contribute to up and downs.
  • ayshakool
    ayshakool Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks everyone. Well, just wondering that what would be my real weight?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    ayshakool wrote: »
    Those variables are always there so you don't have a real weight. You have a weight range.

My "real" weight is whatever my doctor records because that's what goes in my medical records.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    0.8 pounds is a fairly narrow swing for your general weight, too. I'm lighter than you are, and I'll see 2-3 pounds of daily variation on a regular basis. If you keep tracking your daily weight, you'll start to see patterns and you'll get a good picture of your fluctuation range.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,721 Member

Because I'm lazy, I'm going to quote what I recently wrote on another thread, since it's exactly how I'd answer your question, too. (Basically I agree with seska422.)
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    . . . .

We/you do not have a "true body weight", now or ever.

We/you have a near term weight range (of a few pounds, depending on digestive system contents, water weight, and the like), relevant over a period of hours to days. Scale readings are momentary snapshots within this range.

We/you also have a longer term weight trend. Over weeks to months, our short term weight range is moving up (we're gaining), down (we're losing), or staying pretty consistent (we're maintaining).

The long term trend is an outcome of calories consumed and burned, pretty much entirely.
    . . . .

The short term weight range is influenced by many, many things, including whether we're ill or injured, have started a new workout, have hormonal fluctuations going on, drank liquids recently, sweated a lot recently, urinated a lot recently, ate a bunch of food recently, have eaten extra (not necessarily excess) carbs or sodium, have had a BM recently, and much much more. Our recent food choices affect it somewhat.

Our fat loss affects the short-term weight range only a tiny amount, compared to other factors. Often, the other factors will mask or hide our fat loss, even though fat loss is happening, perhaps masking that fat loss for days at a time.

The short term range is complicated and confusing. If you try to control it, it will drive you mad . . . so don't. These short term fluctuations are part of how a healthy functions. It's best to understand and accept that, in order to stay calm and reduce stress.

Instead, trust the process. Once you find the right calorie level, you will lose weight. You will see that loss over a longer time scale, but not day by day.

Best wishes!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

About a week after my period starts, I am the lightest weight of the month. I count that as my "real weight."

When I'm comparing weights to earlier in time, I look at the same point in my cycle as last month.