Calorie Counter

Message Boards Getting Started
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

You don't use a food scale?

Replies

• Hungry_ShopgirlHungry_Shopgirl Member Posts: 329 Member Member Posts: 329 Member
    Pickle107 wrote: »
    I've got away with minimal weighing so far- 14lbs down- I think ice cream is the one thing I do weigh so I don't over do it. However, things are slowing down a wee bit for me- last 20lbs- so I'm on the brink of hitting the scales hard. If I keep losing, I'll keep as I'm currently doing but first sign of a stall I know I need to hike my trousers up high and face the truth of the food scale.

As I read this I heard a slow clap mounting to a standing ovation in my head. This is exactly the point of it all. If you can lose without weighing, great. But if not, weigh.

Well done, internet stranger. Well done.
  • NovusDiesNovusDies Member, Premium Posts: 7,740 Member Member, Premium Posts: 7,740 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    My confession...

Although I join in the chorus, telling struggling noobs to weigh, I've never done it myself. I don't even measure. I don't own scales. It just seems like far too much faffing around :|

:lol: It is absolutely true that some folks are just naturally able to eyeball portions. Like those *kitten*s who never get lost, they just always know which direction to head in. But like Pickle above you, I bet you will know if you stop losing weight and your numbers seem right that your first troubleshooting stop will be upping the accuracy for a couple of weeks and see if you can find the problem!

I can get lost in a parking lot and can't eyeball portions for the life of me; I wonder if they are genetically related skills lol.

I am actually quite good at eyeballing portions. My wife often asks me what something weighs before she puts it on the scale I can get it really close most of the time.

I still use my food scale though. While I have lost a lot of weight I still have more to go. I assume that at some point my results will force me to tighten up even further because my rate of loss will be too low or not at all but I am not ready for that to happen yet. Since it often takes me 3 weeks to see a new low weight I might not even know I have a problem for over a month.

I have used my scale for 18 months now. It is nearly effortless for me now. I don't want to trust my eyes and get it wrong when the scale is so easy to use.
  • quiksylver296quiksylver296 Member Posts: 26,916 Member Member Posts: 26,916 Member
  • mikebxbmikebxb Member Posts: 91 Member Member Posts: 91 Member
    Good discussion. I got one now
  • quiksylver296quiksylver296 Member Posts: 26,916 Member Member Posts: 26,916 Member
    mikebxb wrote: »

Nice! It's always fun to see what people learn about their way of eating, if you're willing to share what you learned using a food scale.
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Nice! It's always fun to see what people learn about their way of eating, if you're willing to share what you learned using a food scale.

Unless you are doing keto. When on keto, calories, scales, science does not matter. ;)

You forgot to use your sarcasm font.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 9,172 Member Member Posts: 9,172 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Unless you are doing keto. When on keto, calories, scales, science does not matter. ;)

You forgot to use your sarcasm font.

But I did wink :)
  • 13bbird1313bbird13 Member Posts: 425 Member Member Posts: 425 Member
    I bought a scale years ago the first go-round with weight loss, and it's still in the cabinet, but I've never used it. I estimate portions but try to estimate high, so if I'm a little off I don't go over my target for the day.
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Member Posts: 5,835 Member Member Posts: 5,835 Member
    If whatever you are doing is working for you - ie you are losing, maintaining, gaining as desired - then keep doing it.

Of course it also isn't a dichotomy of a) use a scale for everything or b) don't use a scale at all.

Many people, including me, use it for some things and guesstimate/ average/ accept packet readings for others.

Trick isn't to decide which of the 2 approaches a) or b) you want to use - it is to find the happy medium that works for you.
  • geraldaltmangeraldaltman Member, Premium Posts: 1,741 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,741 Member
    For a long time I had been using a spring scale. I learned the utter folly of that when I switched to digital. Food scales are key to every, calories, portion contols and food budget. Yes, as I use less of things I buy, they are lasting longer as I don't need to replace as often.
  • JassaphJassaph Member Posts: 41 Member Member Posts: 41 Member
    I've been hearing of using digital scale, but i have an analog scale is that okay?
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Member Posts: 5,835 Member Member Posts: 5,835 Member
    Jassaph wrote: »
    I've been hearing of using digital scale, but i have an analog scale is that okay?

Whatever works for you is ok.

A digital scale would be more accurate and easier to read and they are dirt cheap.

But if you have an analog one and are happy with it and your results are what you want - no problem.
  • mtaratootmtaratoot Member Posts: 3,110 Member Member Posts: 3,110 Member
    Jassaph wrote: »

I presume the analog scale uses a spring. That spring can stretch or compress over time and affect the accuracy of measurements. If you have a way to weigh some items of known weight to see how well it works, you may find it works just fine. If you are in the USA, a nickel weighs exactly five grams. Stack up a bunch of nickels and you can test your scale. Test it at many scales - 5g, 50g, 100g, 500g if you have a hundred nickels.

I think the biggest challenge with a spring scale are items that are calorie dense that you eat small masses of, like oil. For BIG things, like dry rice, the small inaccuracy may be hidden in the bigger number. That's what testing with various weights can help assess.

I had a spring scale someone gave me. It was terribly inaccurate. I bought a cheap digital scale, and I love it. The spring scale went to a second hand shop. Digital scales use pressure transducers to determine mass. They don't fail the same way a spring does.
  • goatggoatg Member, Premium Posts: 1,401 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,401 Member
    I love food scales. Even when I'm not counting calories (e.g., baking, weighing flour, etc). So much more precise than measuring cups!
  • fdlewensteinfdlewenstein Member Posts: 228 Member Member Posts: 228 Member
    During my weight loss phase I eat two cups of vegetables for lunch and dinner (along with protein and fruit). I eat a salad with vegetables, but got tried of using measuring cups. So I measured out the vegetables I wanted (my standard said fixings) and then weighed them in grams. I recorded all this. Now I cut up all my vegetables and have them available. When I fix a salad I put the bowl on the scale and add vegetables as needed. I also measure creamer and salad dressing on the scale in grams. I think weighing in general is more accurate than measuring cups. Consistency is key.