Surprising Calorie Findings

Options

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I kind of knew a lot of it (from years ago having to do a food tracker as a class assignment), but to this day I still need regular "reminders" on what a serving size really looks like. And that that "healthy" lunch wrap can still pack 500+ calories.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Wine :( Four ounces just looks like sadness.

TOTALLY :-) I save some of my calories for wine and it is such a reality check to pour what a "glass" actually is! I need to buy smaller wine glasses so they look more full!

Actually messes with a persons wine high!
    Needless to say haven't had one in a while!!!
    5 oz of red wine at 120 calories is a dent in my accounts......damnit! Hmmmmm......eat or drink?????
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Oh, actually...craft beer. I never really thought about the calories in beer...and craft beer is brutal on the calories...but I love it.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Wine :( Four ounces just looks like sadness.

TOTALLY :-) I save some of my calories for wine and it is such a reality check to pour what a "glass" actually is! I need to buy smaller wine glasses so they look more full!

Have you seen wine shot glasses?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, dried fruit, anything from Applebees... :'(
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Nuts and dates did it for me.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    On the high end: VH stirfry sauces. And realizing that even a 'thin' hand-sliced piece of bread was often around 1.5 oz.

On the low end: Shakshuka (basically poached eggs atop a chunky tomato-eggplant sauce). I was looking for an option for dining out with friends and saw it on the menu at a Middle Eastern restaurant. And then I realized that there's almost no way to make a super-caloric version (unless you do something obvious, like serve it swimming in oil. The restaurant actually brings it in a bread bowl, but I request it without). It can run from 150 to around 500 calories.
  • fatal_degree
    fatal_degree Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Oh, actually...craft beer. I never really thought about the calories in beer...and craft beer is brutal on the calories...but I love it.

It is Imperial Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout d!k measuring season and there aren't enough calories in a week to keep up with the new stock at the Wine & Beer Boutique that I work at
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Desserts. Using the recipe builder and finding out that the apple crumb pie I made was like 580 calories for 1/8 of the pie (it was an Internet recipe and they claimed that a serving was 330 calories or something...). Cheesecake. 1500 calories worth isn't that much. So yeah pretty much every dessert sadly (pecan pie OMG).

Bagels... always showing at like 250 calories or something but when you actually weigh one from a local place and use a USDA entry... 450 calories in a bagel!

Stuff like chicken strips and fries. I had 2 chicken strips and a handful of fries at lunch, weighed from the package... 700 calories.

I mean, often you know that it's pretty bad, but you don't really realize how bad until you weigh them or use a recipe builder...
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Yeast...
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Nuts,,sad cuz I used to eat handfuls,now I hafta country them out and 170 cals for a serving isn't very many
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing. I was shocked that many are higher in calories than an entire entree salad.

And while I'm thinking about it, so many of my "sensible" salad choices at restaurants. I could have had the steak and baked potato and been much better off (which is mostly what I order now).
  • LaurenD63
    LaurenD63 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Nuts,,sad cuz I used to eat handfuls,now I hafta country them out and 170 cals for a serving isn't very many

Agreed. I thought they were a good choice for when cutting back at first, but surprisingly not so much.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Yeast...

^^^^

I used to heaped spoonfuls of this stuff on top of veggies until I realized how little you get for 60 calories.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Good- bagged salad, puffed wheat and puffed rice. Basically water, air, and fiber.

Not so good- food toppings like sauces and jellies. Weigh and measure everything!

Granola. Tiny servings not worth it.
  • azkabanned
    azkabanned Posts: 79 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Ughhh cheesecake is my kryptonite, but since finding out I’ve switched over to homemade Japanese style cheesecake that’s under 300calories a serving.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell, and Mcdonalds are fraught with "Calorie Bombs".