How do you eat your veggies?

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I like vegetables but I need some new ideas. I'm in a rut with steamed broccoli and zoodles.

Replies

• TrevorJSanders
    TrevorJSanders Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Roast them! Personally, I like air frying brussel sprouts and broccoli
  • amyjeaninga
    amyjeaninga Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mine are usually steamed in the instant pot or roasted in the oven, or sauteed/stir fried in a skillet with a little olive oil(like green been almondine or sauteed asparagus). I've learned I like things like broccoli and brussel sprouts and asparagus best with a squeeze of lemon or lime. Add new flavors. Rosemary is good on veggies, or fresh basil. Make new and different salads.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm big on soup. And have mostly been subsisting on it this winter. It's also helpful for calorie cutters because it's filling and hot. I swim a lot, and many swimmers have trouble losing weight because the cold chill they sometimes get from swimming and then walking out in freezing temps increases their appetite by a lot more than they burned. So it's nice to walk home and have a nice bowl of very hot soup to warm up your insides when a hot shower isn't enough :)

Here is a guide on making soup in general

https://cooking.nytimes.com/guides/40-how-to-make-soup?utm_source=sharetools&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website

What I basically do is is start with a little oil in the pot and add sliced or chopped onion and whatever spices and aromatics I want for that particular soup. Then I deglaze, with whatever I have on hand - a bit of beer or wine, stock, just plain old water, whatever. Then I add all my stuff and simmer. I recently invested in an Instapot, which has been great, but this can all be done over the stove too.

For example, last night I was cleaning out my fridge and noticed there were several veggies I had forgotten about that had to be eaten soon. So I made a soup by sauteeing onions and garlic, deglazing with some leftover belgian beer and allowing the alcohol to evaporate, and then adding chopped daikon (which I had bought to make kimchi but never got around to doing), chopped cauliflower, and one whole cabbage. An hour later it was all great. Last week I made mushroom soup with white beans in it.

Sometimes I like something a little starchier and fattier, which is when bacon added with the onions or sausage and sweet potatoes come into play.

The possibilities are endless! Just use whatever you have on hand.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I roast basically everything in the oven. Put a little olive oil on it, throw it in a super hot oven until it's a little crisp. Works for any kind of potatoes, squash, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, asparagus, onions, zucchini, carrots... whatever you have around! I like using garlic and balsamic vinegar on just about everything once it comes out. Maybe a little lemon juice too. Tasty!
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Usually a blend with peppers on a corn meddly. Some people call it chips and salsa but whatever.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    One way I have veg is to stir-fry them from fresh. Another way I have veg is to microwave from frozen. Sometimes I have them baked from fresh on a pizza. Sometimes I have them pickled. Occasionally, popped. Insofar as rice is a veg I've even been known to have it snapped, crackled, and popped.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I rarely steam veggies...usually roasted or sauteed. The only thing I really steam is broccoli at work.

There's a whole world of veggies out there beyond broccoli.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Roasted or in curries, soup or egg/veggie scramble. I eat a lot of raw veggies in salads and for snacks, as well.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I love sauteed green beans in a splash of olive oil with slivered almonds, or tomatoes and onions. Delicious.

I also love salads.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Green beans roasted with dijon mustard and a splash of ACV

Brussels sprouts quartered and roasted in bacon fat with some shallots and salt & pepper

Raw carrots or bell peppers with hummus

Broccoli steamed or roasted with garlic chili sauce

Cauliflower roasted with a mix of olive oil, garlic, paprika, ginger, black pepper, dried mustard, chili powder & cayenne pepper

Curried vegetable soup: https://www.bhg.com/recipe/soups/curried-vegetable-soup/

Edamame succotash (I often skip the seared salmon in this recipe): http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/seared-salmon-fillets-with-edamame-succotash

Picnic Caviar (no caviar involved, just a corn & bean salad with a fancy name): https://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/picnic-caviar

Mostly, I just end up on pinterest or all recipes or somewhere looking for new things to try.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Stir-fried. In a fritatta. In recipes. Tonight, I'm having a quinoa pilaf with zucchini, for example.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Any way other than steamed? I can't remember the last time I ate a steamed vegetable!
    Roasting is a favourite - it adds great flavour
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    always steamed with a hint of lemon juice in the water and some sliced mushrooms easy peazy
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Most often roasted with a little olive oil, plenty of salt & pepper and dried herbs.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    stir fried, sauteed; in soups. i have a great low fat recipe for zuchinni corn soup if you're interested. (with a hint of jalapeno) i think it's really good!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Pick up a new vegetable every week and google a recipe. Veggies in the Bok Choy family are a bit like cabbage and a bit like celery. Try them in a stir fry or a frittata.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    raw with my fingers or cooked with a fork