Plant Based Diet?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am plant based and I love it! Also anyone feel free to add me I log all meals.

I started solely for health benefits. Meat is not good for you and dairy causes inflammation and bloating. I noticed when I stopped eating meat a year ago that I would boost significantly less than when I was eating meat. I always felt smaller and lighter.

Unfortunately I haven’t lost weight, I’ve gained weight, because I’m more of a junk food vegan and I eat a lot of sugar and cliff bars. This is something that I’m working on now. I’m trying to eat more raw foods and less boxed foods.

My favorite quick meal is quinoa (made with veggie broth not water, makes for better flavor) and a crap ton of veggies. Topped with hemp seeds (great source of protein!) and chia seeds and a pinch of walnuts and a pinch of pumpkinseeds

It’s all about education! When I first started I was constantly watching documentaries on benefits of plant based diet and I use the app called Yummly to research different foods to make. The biggest reason that people fail the diet is because they don’t know what to eat. So constantly looking up vegan alternatives and yummy new foods to make will help! I love Yummly and I still use it.

Also cauliflower wings. Literally taste like chicken.

I've been vegan for 10 years and while I enjoy cauliflower wings... you're wrong. Really wrong.

Yep, cauliflower wings are delicious. But they don't taste like chicken, they taste like whatever sauce you're using to coat/dip them.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I am plant based and I love it! Also anyone feel free to add me I log all meals.

I started solely for health benefits. Meat is not good for you and dairy causes inflammation and bloating. I noticed when I stopped eating meat a year ago that I would boost significantly less than when I was eating meat. I always felt smaller and lighter.

Unfortunately I haven’t lost weight, I’ve gained weight, because I’m more of a junk food vegan and I eat a lot of sugar and cliff bars. This is something that I’m working on now. I’m trying to eat more raw foods and less boxed foods.

My favorite quick meal is quinoa (made with veggie broth not water, makes for better flavor) and a crap ton of veggies. Topped with hemp seeds (great source of protein!) and chia seeds and a pinch of walnuts and a pinch of pumpkinseeds

It’s all about education! When I first started I was constantly watching documentaries on benefits of plant based diet and I use the app called Yummly to research different foods to make. The biggest reason that people fail the diet is because they don’t know what to eat. So constantly looking up vegan alternatives and yummy new foods to make will help! I love Yummly and I still use it.

I've been vegan for 10 years and while I enjoy cauliflower wings... you're wrong. Really wrong.

Yep, cauliflower wings are delicious. But they don't taste like chicken, they taste like whatever sauce you're using to coat/dip them.

Chicken sauce? ;)
  • hoopsandsunshine
    Options

That it doesn’t taste like chicken? That’s just personal preference. I love it and I don’t see a difference but some might, sure. But you haven’t eaten mean in 10 years whereas it’s been 1 year for me, so our taste buds are vastly different.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Chicken sauce? ;)

:D
  • hoopsandsunshine
    Options

That it doesn’t taste like chicken? That’s just personal preference. I love it and I don’t see a difference but some might, sure. But you haven’t eaten mean in 10 years whereas it’s been 1 year for me, so our taste buds are vastly different.

I haven't had chicken for ten years either, but that doesn't mean I don't have a memory of what it tastes like. Cauliflower wings taste like cauliflower. Chicken has a completely different taste.

If you think cauliflower literally tastes like chicken, I'm guessing you weren't much of a chicken fan while you were eating it (which is perfectly fine). It's less a matter of "preference" than it is the fact that chicken has an actual taste which isn't the taste of cauliflower.

I was just trying to give a sample of a good substitute. But yeah, the sauce is the main thing. If you eat cauliflower wings without any sauce it won’t taste like chicken.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yeah, this.

I enjoy cauliflower wings, I am a big fan of the buffalo style sauce in general, but I'm not sure how adding that sauce would make cauliflower taste like chicken.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Not true.
  • MarcA1218
    MarcA1218 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    MarcA1218 wrote: »
    I started with a program that was plant based products. It got too expensive but during the program as I researched more I decided to transition into everyday eating. I am doing this in stages. Right now the only meat I eat is seafood once in a while. I do eat eggs and cheese but plan on cutting the cheese down or out very soon. Thanks I am enjoying the threads and advice. Taking all into consideration as I continue moving forward. Let’s keep this thread going there’s a lot of knowledge here and I thinks it great.

I find the wording rather curious; what does "plant based products" mean? Are you talking food or supplements like greens? If you are going on a plant based diet it shouldn't be too expensive, and I would imagine it should be cheaper than an animal based diet, in fact.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out the way you hope it will.

Thanks, what I mean is I was on meal replacement plan that claimed to be all plant based products (milkshakes, protein bars etc.) but I began to realize what I really needed to do was build healthier habits instead of relying on an expensive meal plan. Now I have made significant changes and so far so good I have to thank them though for putting me on this path.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I started with a program that was plant based products. It got too expensive but during the program as I researched more I decided to transition into everyday eating. I am doing this in stages. Right now the only meat I eat is seafood once in a while. I do eat eggs and cheese but plan on cutting the cheese down or out very soon. Thanks I am enjoying the threads and advice. Taking all into consideration as I continue moving forward. Let’s keep this thread going there’s a lot of knowledge here and I thinks it great.

I find the wording rather curious; what does "plant based products" mean? Are you talking food or supplements like greens? If you are going on a plant based diet it shouldn't be too expensive, and I would imagine it should be cheaper than an animal based diet, in fact.

Thanks, what I mean is I was on meal replacement plan that claimed to be all plant based products (milkshakes, protein bars etc.) but I began to realize what I really needed to do was build healthier habits instead of relying on an expensive meal plan. Now I have made significant changes and so far so good I have to thank them though for putting me on this path.

That's a good plan, I would get off of those meal replacements right away and go with real food. Real food is going to be a lot cheaper and better for you than those ultra processed powders.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Sounds good.

I do use protein powder on occasion (I know other options for breakfast, but often like breakfasts where adding some protein powder is an easy source of protein), but I would totally agree that you are better off not doing meal replacements but finding some easy, delicious regular meals that fit your current preferences (no animal products, ideally a good many vegetables, sufficient protein).
  • Ecrackin
    Ecrackin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Go you! It works!
  • healthy2700mfp
    healthy2700mfp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been eating plant based for thr last 6 mts I lost weight but my gastritis started acting up and I had to cut down on the legumes and some vegetables/fruits
  • MarcA1218
    MarcA1218 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Since starting this I have begun to crave fruits & vegetables over my old cravings of wings, ribs and steak. If I get an appitizer now I go for fried pickles. (I know, I know but baby steps) I do eat eggs and seafood still and occasionally have a slice of cheese but feeling better. I incorporated intermittent fasting with this (there’s another thread about that) but really just means I don’t snack after 8pm and give myself about 14hours of no food, just water. So far so good. How about you?
  • happyfitr2d2
    happyfitr2d2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well it’s April 13. I said I would find this thread and report back with my results from changing what I eat to the plant based lifestyle of “The Starch Solution” from Dr. John McDougall. On Feb 4 I weighed 9 pounds more than I do now. I had my ups and downs, as I am human. However, I am feeling healthy and my bloodwork recently, at my physical, was awesome and it goes to show you need to find what works for you and stick with it.
    Congrats MarcA1218 for finding what works for you! It takes time and taking care of yourself is worth it!
    Your digestive system thanks you for giving it a rest, with intermittent fasting!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well it’s April 13. I said I would find this thread and report back with my results from changing what I eat to the plant based lifestyle of “The Starch Solution” from Dr. John McDougall. On Feb 4 I weighed 9 pounds more than I do now. I had my ups and downs, as I am human. However, I am feeling healthy and my bloodwork recently, at my physical, was awesome and it goes to show you need to find what works for you and stick with it.
    Congrats MarcA1218 for finding what works for you! It takes time and taking care of yourself is worth it!
    Your digestive system thanks you for giving it a rest, with intermittent fasting!

Nothing wrong with fasting but your digestive system, just like your other organs, dont need breaks. Its their job.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Nothing wrong with fasting but your digestive system, just like your other organs, dont need breaks. Its their job.

^ Exactly. Just as your respiratory system wouldn't "thank you for giving it a rest" by holding your breath for a full day once a week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

^ Exactly. Just as your respiratory system wouldn't "thank you for giving it a rest" by holding your breath for a full day once a week.

I have myself frozen once a quarter for a day or two, just to give all my systems a break.

I am fascinated by some of the ideas and research around fasting, but the "give your system a break" one just boggles the mind for me.