what you eat matters; for satiety

2»

Replies

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    For those of you satiated by protein, does this include when you have a shake? Or just protein from foods?

Honestly curious.

I prefer to eat my calories, not drink them (except for alcochol). So I don't do shakes. I am also one of thos people who don't see the point in smoothies. I found whey protein in yoghurt with some bran added makes a great snack for me at work, fills right up that little pit that forms between lunch and dinner.
  • gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Ya it's definitely tough to find what works for you. I love yogurt and fruit but the same thing happens to me. I'm hungry very quickly after I've eaten.

It's all about oatmeal for me. I love it and keeps me full for awhile.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    gosh how I wish a banana was filling for me. They're so cheap and my wallet wants me to be full from them but it would take too many bananas for it to work :(
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Ive had this discussion with a friend. She will eat an apple for breakfast and shes full til noon. I eat an apple and 5 minutes later Im so hungry its like I havent eaten for a month.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    I always feel hungry again soon after eating fruit. It was suggested this was due to the fructose, and fruit is better eaten as an appetizer, with the "meal" to follow. I don't know if any of this is true...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I always feel hungry again soon after eating fruit. It was suggested this was due to the fructose, and fruit is better eaten as an appetizer, with the "meal" to follow. I don't know if any of this is true...

Just depends on the person. I always find it funny when people say fruit (and especially apples) are not satiating, as I find them extremely so. I've had days where things were crazy at work so I just grabbed an apple and was fine for several hours or until dinner.

I typically wouldn't eat fruit just as a meal, though, because I like larger meals.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    I seem to do best when I mix my limited carbs with a protein / fat. For example: a typical breakfast is 2 HB eggs and 100 g. cold steamed potatoes; a typical lunch is 3 oz lean protein (chicken / turkey) with 8 oz chopped salad (red and green cabbages, carrots, broccoli, jicama, bell peppers, radishes and celery); my snack is either an EPIC meat bar or an OZ of peanut butter; and, dinner is generally a protein and 2 veggies (a green one and a red or orange one). If I stick to this I am usually not hungry.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    I have found it makes no difference carbs, fat, protein .... 30 mins later I am hungry :neutral:
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member

i have to get away from mixed fruit bowls at night ill go from not hungry but i have a few calories left or iv undereaten so ill eat some fruit and it can lead to an all out fruit binge. Something about fruit does me in. Luckily i stick to low calorie mixes of mainly berries with a few like pineapple/mango chunks its hard to do to much damage xD
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited January 2018
    I agree. When I started tracking what I was eating, I noticed that meals like 2 bowls of cereal, fruit only, a banana and a bagel or spaghetti and garlic bread I would still be hungry.

After researching and learning about macros I decided to try eating balanced meals.

With cereal I would have protein with it such as a hard boiled egg or a homemade protein bar. Instead of a banana and a bagel I would make a protein smoothie (with fat, seeds etc) and have a serving of fruit. Fruit is like the appetizer to a meal, not a meal by itself. With the spaghetti and garlic bread I would make a garden salad with a fat source and protein added.

This changed everything for me. I finally felt for full and satiated for hours.

Now when I'm planning my meals I make sure that I have a good balance of healthy fats, protein and carbs.

Everyone is different though so I think it's good to try different things and see what works for you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    The volume in carbs, whether starchy or sugar, will fill me up. I can eat that until I am uncomfortably full. My problem is that I do not feel satiated. Unfortunately for me, a stomach ache is nit a sign to stop eating. As an undiagnosed celiac for my life, a stomach ache was just the usual sign that I gad eaten anything. LOL

Plus the highs and lows of blood glucose made me want more food every couple of hours if I ate carbs.

Fats and protein satiate me. I can easily go hours between meals and I often lose the desire to snack.