Weight Lifting and gaining inches in my hips :(

Options
About 4 months ago I started doing heavy lifting (3 days a week with big compound movements (3x8-10) - adding weight every time) and on my off days I do about 20-30 HIIT. I'm a 25 yr old female, 5'5", and eat 1,400 a day (clean whole foods). I work hard in my workouts so I was frustrated to find that I have gone from 37in in my hips to 38in.

Are there body types that just don't do well with heavy lifting? Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really at a loss and confused! I love heavy lifting but don't love the results I'm seeing! My shorts don't fit anymore :(

help! please!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Just the obvious question - are you sure you measured the exact same place as the first time? It takes a lot to gain an inch and it's not going to happen on 1400 calories a day.
  • bonedaddyds
    bonedaddyds Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just the obvious question - are you sure you measured the exact same place as the first time? It takes a lot to gain an inch and it's not going to happen on 1400 calories a day.

Positive - I have a tattoo on my hip and I'm lucky that measuring through the middle of it is exactly where I need to measure for my hips - so it's a really easy marker. I am just as miffed as you! I've been working really hard for about 2 years to take my 37in hips to my goal of a 36in and just haven't been able to move the weight no matter what I try.

Love your pics in your icon, btw. You have a wonderfully strong looking body :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Yeh, that's a good question.

Another question I would ask here is whether you are measuring your *food*. And by measuring, I mean weighing on a digital scale.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

It is very common for people get start eating more when they start exercising more.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's likely measuring inconsistencies.

Is your weight changing? What about other measurements?
  • bonedaddyds
    Options

Yeh, that's a good question.

Another question I would ask here is whether you are measuring your *food*. And by measuring, I mean weighing on a digital scale.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

It is very common for people get start eating more when they start exercising more.

I weigh everything that I eat - I'm a stickler for serving sizes
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^This.

Also, is it possible that you are experiencing fluid retention. I would advise to take a couple of rest days, watch your sodium, drink lots and lots of water and then measure again. It should go down.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Look at the big picture, i.e. look at your whole self in the mirror. Lifting causes a reshaping of the behind, i.e. everything getting more perky. You may have gained an inch in the place where you measure, but what has happened to the shape of your behind?

you may have lost weight, but lifted your butt, so it measures more inches but looks a whole lot better....
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Look at the big picture, i.e. look at your whole self in the mirror. Lifting causes a reshaping of the behind, i.e. everything getting more perky. You may have gained an inch in the place where you measure, but what has happened to the shape of your behind?

you may have lost weight, but lifted your butt, so it measures more inches but looks a whole lot better....

We need some kind of a butt volume measurement metric :)
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Have you done a BF% measurement? Or seen a change in 'firmness'? I lift heavy and my hips have gotten .5 larger but my BF% has dropped. Maybe it's not such a bad thing if you're tighter and more muscular :)
  • bonedaddyds
    Options

My weight has gone up from 135 to 140. I didn't want to mention that so much because I know with weight training the muscle gain will make the scale go up - however I know my inches should be going down.

My waist measurement has gone up about 1/2 an inch but everything else has stayed the same. As stated above I always measure right through the midline of the tattoo I have on my hips so unfortunately not an a measuring inconsistency :( I've always had a really difficult time moving weight on my body and it is frustrating.

I do drink about once a month (vodka - either on its own or with a calorie free mixer) maybe twice max...but I'm on point with my diet every other day of the month other than that so I never thought it could be THAT BAD, yknow? Am I wrong? ...I know there are people who are in great shape and can still have some drinks but maybe my body is just that stubborn?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my butt also got bigger and perkier from weight lifting.

it's awesome. i got a nice booty.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

This. And that's why I take progress photos. My overall hips appear narrower, but my measurements don't reflect that because my booty is higher. Plus, before lifting, I was squishier.
  • bonedaddyds
    Options
    Have you done a BF% measurement? Or seen a change in 'firmness'? I lift heavy and my hips have gotten .5 larger but my BF% has dropped. Maybe it's not such a bad thing if you're tighter and more muscular :)

Gosh, I wish I saw a change in firmness! I can see the muscle in my arm has gotten bigger but it seems everything else is a big..jigglier? Which doesn't make sense because I love me some deadlifts and squats!
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1057517-squats-and-big-booties-redux

I know she's talking about squats in particular, but she makes such good points and illustrates it well via photos. Maybe you'll find it a useful read?
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have gained inches everywhere since lifting heavy and especially in my hip and thighs. Squatting makes the butt more plump and the thighs more muscular. I have been complaining the past few weeks about it because my shorts are getting tight, and I have gained about 10 lbs. My clothes still fit in the waist, but they are tighter everywhere else. I measured my hips....they went from 33 inches to 36 inches, and I am okay with that because my chest is 36, so with tiny hips compared to my body jeans fit weird and I had a very boyish figure. None of my work pants or jeans fit anymore, but whatever. All my cellulite is almost gone on the back of legs from the lifting, so I will take being a few more inche muscular in order to look solid with no cellulite. You have to pick. Smaller clothes but flabber or larger clothes and you look healthy, strong and tight? I am just angry I FINALLY donated my 4s in work pants, and now my 0 and 2s are so far from fitting, I need my 4s back :( Guess I will be spending money for shopping come fall.
  • bumblebums
    Options

My weight has gone up from 135 to 140. I didn't want to mention that so much because I know with weight training the muscle gain will make the scale go up - however I know my inches should be going down.

My waist measurement has gone up about 1/2 an inch but everything else has stayed the same. As stated above I always measure right through the midline of the tattoo I have on my hips so unfortunately not an a measuring inconsistency :( I've always had a really difficult time moving weight on my body and it is frustrating.

I do drink about once a month (vodka - either on its own or with a calorie free mixer) maybe twice max...but I'm on point with my diet every other day of the month other than that so I never thought it could be THAT BAD, yknow? Am I wrong? ...I know there are people who are in great shape and can still have some drinks but maybe my body is just that stubborn?

If drinking once a month made one's butt get bigger, my *kitten* would engulf Manhattan and the tri-state area by now.

If your measurements and weight are going up, something is off about your intake. I assume the clothes are fitting differently, too? Tighter?
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The glute muscles will tend to move higher with weight training. They become perkier, as stated above. That tissue may have moved up from right next to the back of the thigh. Have you measured your thighs too? Has there been a change there?

Maybe you are just a bit shapelier now :flowerforyou:
  • bonedaddyds
    Options

Y'know, I don't see a huge difference when I look at it but maybe I need to look a little closer. I can only wish that were the case but I can really tell when I look in the mirror that those 5lbs and inch in my hips aren't good gains...I want them to be! I LOVE lifting! I want to encourage my friends to do it..but my results are...confusing?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

If you're weight is going up, you're gaining. Eat less to stop gaining.