Weight Lifting and gaining inches in my hips :(

Options

Replies

• dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    are you using protein powders? I know for me I gained 7lbs and 3 inches very quickly and after stopping the powders I lost it. So the protein powder mixes are not for everyone.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    are you using protein powders? I know for me I gained 7lbs and 3 inches very quickly and after stopping the powders I lost it. So the protein powder mixes are not for everyone.

Do you have any idea how little sense that makes?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Some people like to look at their intake for the day and find the one thing to blame for being over goal.
  • bonedaddyds
    bonedaddyds Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's likely measuring inconsistencies.

Is your weight changing? What about other measurements?

My weight has gone up from 135 to 140. I didn't want to mention that so much because I know with weight training the muscle gain will make the scale go up - however I know my inches should be going down.

My waist measurement has gone up about 1/2 an inch but everything else has stayed the same. As stated above I always measure right through the midline of the tattoo I have on my hips so unfortunately not an a measuring inconsistency :( I've always had a really difficult time moving weight on my body and it is frustrating.

I do drink about once a month (vodka - either on its own or with a calorie free mixer) maybe twice max...but I'm on point with my diet every other day of the month other than that so I never thought it could be THAT BAD, yknow? Am I wrong? ...I know there are people who are in great shape and can still have some drinks but maybe my body is just that stubborn?

If drinking once a month made one's butt get bigger, my *kitten* would engulf Manhattan and the tri-state area by now.

If your measurements and weight are going up, something is off about your intake. I assume the clothes are fitting differently, too? Tighter?

Shorts are definitely tighter! Because I started lifting I was just fitting into a size 4 but depending on brand some 6s. Everything is all tight now and its frustrating for sure! I'm glad to know that the one or two nights a month I decide to let loose probably isn't the cause for the gain though! Everyone needs to have fun every now and then.

I'm pretty good with eating a "boring" diet and on most days I eat

Breakfast - protein shake (230)
    Snack - 2 eggs (140)
    Lunch - tuna, veggies, egg, pecans (400ish depending on veggies)
    Snack - Jerky (120)
    Dinner - baked chicken, sweet potato, veggie (300ish depending on veggies)
    Snack - apple and pb (175)

I love all those foods and know they're good for me and really like to monitor my macros and make sure I'm getting 1g of protein for every lb of lean muscle I have. I just wanna figure out what I'm doing wrong so i can correct it, haha!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Some people like to look at their intake for the day and find the one thing to blame for being over goal.

I blame the veggies. No more greens for me.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

That's true. The other day I had an apple that put me over my goal. Those 2 baconators from Wendy's got me to my goal, but the apple put me over.

Stupid apple.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on the lifting. What's likely happening is you're putting on muscle and retaining fat in that location. But this is a temporary situation. If you continue to work out and add muscle mass, your resting metabolism will increase and you'll burn off that fat. Just make sure you're eating enough protein and keep your carbs down to what you need to maintain proper energy in the gym.

Fitness is a journey, not a destination. And like most road trips, there are parts of the drive that aren't all that exciting. Things will be better further down the road.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    deleted... double post
  • jacksonpt
    Options

My weight has gone up from 135 to 140. I didn't want to mention that so much because I know with weight training the muscle gain will make the scale go up - however I know my inches should be going down.

My waist measurement has gone up about 1/2 an inch but everything else has stayed the same. As stated above I always measure right through the midline of the tattoo I have on my hips so unfortunately not an a measuring inconsistency :( I've always had a really difficult time moving weight on my body and it is frustrating.

I do drink about once a month (vodka - either on its own or with a calorie free mixer) maybe twice max...but I'm on point with my diet every other day of the month other than that so I never thought it could be THAT BAD, yknow? Am I wrong? ...I know there are people who are in great shape and can still have some drinks but maybe my body is just that stubborn?

If drinking once a month made one's butt get bigger, my *kitten* would engulf Manhattan and the tri-state area by now.

If your measurements and weight are going up, something is off about your intake. I assume the clothes are fitting differently, too? Tighter?

Shorts are definitely tighter! Because I started lifting I was just fitting into a size 4 but depending on brand some 6s. Everything is all tight now and its frustrating for sure! I'm glad to know that the one or two nights a month I decide to let loose probably isn't the cause for the gain though! Everyone needs to have fun every now and then.

Snack - 2 eggs (140)
    Snack - Jerky (120)

I love all those foods and know they're good for me and really like to monitor my macros and make sure I'm getting 1g of protein for every lb of lean muscle I have. I just wanna figure out what I'm doing wrong so i can correct it, haha!

I'll say it again...
    If you're gaining weight, you're eating too much. And that's why your measurements are going up.

You're eating too much.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Snack - 2 eggs (140)
    Snack - Jerky (120)

what is your sodium?

Would you please open your food diary so we can help?
  • dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    well maybe for you it don't make sense but our bodies are all different and found that if I get my protein from whole foods instead of powders I lost what I gained and then some. So yes it makes sense....foods affect ppl in different ways
  • bonedaddyds
    Options

Snack - 2 eggs (140)
    Snack - Jerky (120)

what is your sodium?

My sodium looks like it usually ends up around 1,200mg-1,400mg. And I would open my food diary except I use livestrong to track - yikes! Perhaps I should start here
  • bumblebums
    Options

Snack - 2 eggs (140)
    Snack - Jerky (120)

I'll say it again...
    If you're gaining weight, you're eating too much. And that's why your measurements are going up.

You're eating too much.

I have to say I agree. It would be one thing if your weight just wasn't changing, but it is hard to gain both inches and pounds while eating at a deficit. One might say impossible, unless you have elephantiasis or something.

Please consider having your intake evaluated by the folks running this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Though a word of warning: they will ask you to unlock your diary, and they will not care how clean or boring your diet is.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    well maybe for you it don't make sense but our bodies are all different and found that if I get my protein from whole foods instead of powders I lost what I gained and then some. So yes it makes sense....foods affect ppl in different ways

um, no.
  • Cranquistador
    Options

Snack - 2 eggs (140)
    Snack - Jerky (120)

what is your sodium?

My sodium looks like it usually ends up around 1,200mg-1,400mg. And I would open my food diary except I use livestrong to track - yikes! Perhaps I should start here

I think it would be a good idea.

and I agree with the Eat, train, progress group advice.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Just curious - why are you singling out the protein powder? One doesn't gain 7lbs and 3 inches without overeating daily; why was it the protein's fault?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

My weight has gone up from 135 to 140. I didn't want to mention that so much because I know with weight training the muscle gain will make the scale go up

Doubtful ^^^ It is extremely hard to gain 5 lbs of pure muscle mass, especially for females.
  • bonedaddyds
    Options

Snack - 2 eggs (140)
    Snack - Jerky (120)

I'll say it again...

You're eating too much.

I have to say I agree. It would be one thing if your weight just wasn't changing, but it is hard to gain both inches and pounds while eating at a deficit. One might say impossible, unless you have elephantiasis or something.

Please consider having your intake evaluated by the folks running this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Though a word of warning: they will ask you to unlock your diary, and they will not care how clean or boring your diet is.

Ah, seems very interesting! Definitely going to be checking it out! Thanks so much!
  • bumblebums
    Options

Just curious - why are you singling out the protein powder? One doesn't gain 7lbs and 3 inches without overeating daily; why was it the protein's fault?

Probably because it's unclean.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What's likely happening is you're putting on muscle and retaining fat in that location.

Not in a deficit.