Maintainers Help Needed

Options
What type of professional would you see? I’m 5-7”, 134#, 24%bf age 52F. I’m at what is considered ideal for my stats. I lost 85# over 2 years via good diet, walking/running and lifting. Yet I still have very loose flabby bags on my belly, thighs and arms. It’s not improved in a year.

Primary doc says stop losing
Plastic surgeon says I need body lift
Dermatologist says live with it
Trainer says lose more and lift more
Dietician has no opinion on the subject

Personally, I think I look great in clothes. But would be very uncomfortable in front if anyone but my husband in a bathing suit. Thoughts?

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Sorry that it didn't get better. I would think that if you absolutely can't stand it, surgery is the way to go. Although you can continue to do what you do, lift, maintain, and allow more time. And see if you either accept your body the way it is, or still want to make changes. I personally would not do elective surgery, but my skin isn't too bad, although I have some bits and pieces that loose, and I'm mostly ok with that. And how often do you get undressed/ wear bathing suit? Don't take it the wrong way, I live by the beach and the bathing suit is something I almost never put on, lol.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I’m pretty anti-elective surgery, but I have my limits. Two months after hitting goal (probably this summer, at my current slow and steady pace), I’m getting a breast lift, because I’m really bothered by the state of things. I also don’t really like my saggy stomach and other parts, but I don’t hate them enough to go under the knife for it. So, you need to ask, what’s your threshold?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Thanks @icemom011 and TMac. It stands to reason that a plastic surgeon would suggest this route.

A crystal ball would be great here....to know if I lose 5-10# more, putting me at the very low end of BMI would make matters better or worse. These surgeries (tummy tuck and thigh lift) are very invasive and have lengthy recuperating times. Not to mention scars.

Nice to have a sounding board.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've put in the work trying to improve the correct way (eating right, at maintainace and lifting) and it hasn't gotten you the results you wanted. And I'm sorry to hear that...

What if you lost 5 to 10lbs just to see if there was improvement? Worst comes to worst you have to put some weight back on. You said you already lift, so eat a deficit while lifting to maintain the muscle you have, while losing so more fat. I can't tell you that it will help, but it's way less invansive than surgery.

I have a ton of stretch marks from losing 50lbs and some from growing (I'm 5'11 and grew very fast as a child). I know I'll never get rid of them. I also have cellulite and fat pockets on my thighs that will probably never go away. My BMI is 19.8 and I'm not willing to get much smaller. I'm also close to 40 and know that I won't look like an underwear model or 20 again. But I feel SO much better now than I did when I was close to 200lbs. I would probably benefit from plastic surgery too - but I decided this was good enough.

I'm not against surgery - I've known various people who has had it are very happy with it. But you need to really think about the risks and the recovery time.
  • nowine4me
    Options
    @cmriverside - that’s me at my current weight and in a flattering shot. Doing planks on the other hand, is not a great look. Luckily I don’t plank on the beach much. Hopefully time will be kind to me as it was for you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    But in that profile photo you look freaking amazing! No further weight loss required at all.

How often are you in a bikini anyway? and if its about what other people say, sod them, there's noone perfect and if there are some close to having perfect bodies they are few and far between.

You've lost 85lbs and kept it off - high five sista! amazing job. I would just say, don't dwell on the negative, just embrace the positive.

I am a bit like you, there are parts of me (belly) that I still don't like but heck I look great in clothes. I basically abused my body for years being overweight and unfit, I guess there had to be pay back for that but I'm darned well happy with how I look and I keep on working hard to stay this way. There's no way personally I would have any surgery, some day it'll be bad enough to have to go under the knife to stay alive!

Be proud of your accomplishments.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    If it really bothers you and you can afford it, I say go with the plastic surgeon!
  • nowine4me
    Options
    Greaf attitude @RunRutheeRun and it’s not about others. My friends and family have been nothing but positive and supportive.

And by the way, Gisele actually is perfect — but she probably never weighed 220 pounds. :#

I appreciate the kind words. You have given me a lot to think about.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Greaf attitude @RunRutheeRun and it’s not about others. My friends and family have been nothing but positive and supportive.

And by the way, Gisele actually is perfect — but she probably never weighed 220 pounds. :#

I appreciate the kind words. You have given me a lot to think about.

Yes, but she probably also has unflattering angles, and a team of professional photographers to make sure she looks hot. I think you've done an awesome job, and look great. From what I know, the downtime for those surgeries are extensive, and the pain you have to go through is intense. I'm 5'7" also, and can't push my weight lower than low 140s, so it seems to me that you're doing wonderful. And @cmriverside , that's a great bit of encouragement, good to know that there might be an improvement to the skin situation with some extra time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    @cmriverside - that’s me at my current weight and in a flattering shot. Doing planks on the other hand, is not a great look. Luckily I don’t plank on the beach much. Hopefully time will be kind to me as it was for you.

I'm not saying I'm a fitness model.

There aren't many of those, and really I started wearing a one-piece or full coverage tankini set a loooooongggg time ago. They're so much more practical. I do active stuff in the water and on the beach. No one wants to fall out of a bikini. I really feel much more comfortable in a one-piece or tankini.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I think you look amazing and you've done amazing work. I lost 22 pounds last year and a total of 37 pounds from my heaviest weight after my last baby. My BMI is 20.5 but I still have this bit of lower belly fat and loose skin that simply just drives me nuts... So I can empathize some. I guess you have to decide if surgery is a route you want to take... Personally, my scars keloid (I have an ugly raised c-section scar) and I really don't want any more of that going on than I already have. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I think you've done great. I firmed up over more than six months. There are many cute bathing suit out there that cover anything you're uncomfortable with and it's your husband that matters. Keep exercising and see what happens. Skin takes a long time to snug up.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Losing more weight will make the skin worse, not better. The reason it's loose it because it used to be filled with fat and you've "deflated" - deflating even more will just make it worse.

Lift more and try to come to terms with the fact that it might not get better unless you opt for surgery.

Assuming the pic is you - you look awesome.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    1. You're hot.
    2. Choose the solution that you can afford that you feel will yield the results you will be happiest with.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I can personally think of so many more things I could spend the money on instead of a tummy tuck or arm lift and really, I still wouldn't wear a bikini because of the scars anyway...

Trainers are idiots because muscles will never do anything for your skin (I highly doubt a six pack would fill the space that was taken by 30 lbs of fat in my tummy, just saying).

Your doctor might have a point, I mean I get really skinny in some places if I lose too much (I'd still have a bit of a belly/hips if I was underweight, guaranteed).

I think your dermatologist is spot on.