Eating @ Work

Options
CookNLift
CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
I constantly eat at my desk to get work done, and to catch up on blog reading during my lunch break, and going out for sushi or takeout is expensive and tough to calculate / portion control without my food scale.

I need some good ideas for stuff to pick up at the grocery store (aside from TV dinners / salad) that I can literally throw together and cook in the microwave or toaster oven while at work that doesn't require much cleanup or time to prepare.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pulled pork sandwiches a lot lately. You can get premade stuff, rolls, cheese and assemble at work, or you can make your own pork to help keep costs down.

Tacos/quesadillas also reheat well.
  • just_me_mindy
    just_me_mindy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I bake chicken every Sunday and Wednesday, portion them out and take them to work. Every Sunday I cut up veggies and fruit for the week and measure them and put them in bags in the fridge or containers. You could always make a wrap or a pita.
  • CookNLift
    Options
    Those are great ideas, however my only dilemma is today I forgot to prepare my food (it went bad), and I am looking for something to make at work on the fly, because I didn't have time to this morning on my way out the door. (Smelled the food and realized it was a bit sketchy since there was a whole in the container.)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I do a "Chipotle" bowl. I make my brown rice, black beans and chicken on Sunday and then each day make my own bowl for lunch with brown rice, black beans, chicken, shredded cheese, salsa and guacamole. That keeps me full until dinner.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I bake chicken every Sunday and Wednesday, portion them out and take them to work. Every Sunday I cut up veggies and fruit for the week and measure them and put them in bags in the fridge or containers. You could always make a wrap or a pita.

Works for me too. Weigh them and then I know calories etc and I'm done for the week.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I do salads all the time at work, just grab from the fridge add the dressing (if needed) and good to go! I can chop up the lettuce and put it in individual containers at the beginning of the week with whatever toppings I want and then just grab one in the morning on my way out. I don't have time for assembly in the morning, but lettuce keeps fine for several days.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Prep food on Sunday for the next week. Weigh and portion everything out and place in tupperware. Then in the morning on the way out the door, just "grab and go!" Stop making excuses for your lack on discipline. Make time!
  • Jenny_Ren1
    Jenny_Ren1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Thinking of something to actually make at work is tough... My unimaginative meals always end up being several snacks lumped together. I was in your situation Monday and I ended up having a piece of cheese, some beef jerky and cherry tomatoes! LOL. If I run to the store, the easiest thing is a sandwich or wrap. I'll just grab turkey at the deli, some veggies to much on and the wrap/bread of your choice. It's quick, healthy and I have food left over so the cost is justified.

Of course, the best idea is to make great meals at home and package them for work! But I am like you, and find myself forgetting my lunch or grabbing the wrong thing. For example, yesterday I brought an awesome, well balanced lunch that I was excited for. But it was actually a bowl of ground beef I had pre-cooked for dinner. Oops!! :laugh:
  • CookNLift
    Options
    Prep food on Sunday for the next week. Weigh and portion everything out and place in tupperware. Then in the morning on the way out the door, just "grab and go!" Stop making excuses for your lack on discipline. Make time!

I do not have a lack of discipline, and I'm not making excuses. Some days you just don't have anything to bring. I constantly prep my stuff for the week, and one of the things went bad, I don't have anything at work and I'm looking for something to make that's quick at work. Making something on Sunday and having it today would require time travel or a flux capacitor of sorts.
  • just_me_mindy
    just_me_mindy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same thing every week for breakfast, snack and lunch..
  • CookNLift
    Options
    I tend to eat the same thing every week for breakfast, snack and lunch..

lol ditto. I tend to change it up a bit, but I felt weird last time I tried portioning out spinach quiche for the week, even when it was frozen.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Sort of hard to make recommendations for today if we have no idea what you have available
  • lanavabkny
    Options
    How about liquid egg whites. You can microwave them, throw some chopped frozen veggies in there and make a quick frittata type meal in a cup. Add a little cheese and viola. :)

I work in NYC and every Walgreens/Duane Reade/CVS has a food section now. I am sure you can find similar items where you are.

I constantly eat at my desk to get work done, and to catch up on blog reading during my lunch break, and going out for sushi or takeout is expensive and tough to calculate / portion control without my food scale.

I need some good ideas for stuff to pick up at the grocery store (aside from TV dinners / salad) that I can literally throw together and cook in the microwave or toaster oven while at work that doesn't require much cleanup or time to prepare.
  • CookNLift
    Options
    Sort of hard to make recommendations for today if we have no idea what you have available

literally anything I can buy at the grocery store. I wanna have something I can grab there and throw together here.(the grocery store is 2 mins from my job, the only downside is we don't have a stove to cook on. - that would make this a no brainer) and I don't use the microwave often.
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on running to a store to buy fixings to make something at work? Do you have things at work, you just don't know what to make with it? I'm a tiny bit confused...

*Nevermind :)
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I do not have a lack of discipline, and I'm not making excuses. Some days you just don't have anything to bring. I constantly prep my stuff for the week, and one of the things went bad, I don't have anything at work and I'm looking for something to make that's quick at work. Making something on Sunday and having it today would require time travel or a flux capacitor of sorts.

Go buys some cans of tuna and/or salmon, some unsalted nuts, some quest bars etc. and keep them are you desk for times you forget or don''t have time to run to the store.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Is there a salad bar at your local grocery store? That's usually my go to option...make a big salad with a good mix of veg and protein (chickpeas, grilled chicken) and maybe buy one of those little packs of sushi in the deli section too if I'm hungry enough.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I do a "Chipotle" bowl. I make my brown rice, black beans and chicken on Sunday and then each day make my own bowl for lunch with brown rice, black beans, chicken, shredded cheese, salsa and guacamole. That keeps me full until dinner.

This sounds like something I would like to try, thanks
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I tend to keep freeze dried fruit and veggies, beef (or pork or turkey) jerky, a few cans of soup and some fiber one bars in my car so if I end up with no time to make something or no way to run out and get food I have something healthy-ish ready to go. This is more of an emergency stash, since most of that stuff has tons of sodium, but in a pinch it's better to eat that than run to McDonald's or a box of crackers.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Look up "Bento Lunchbox" or "Bento Lunchbox ideas" -- the box is designed to help you pack portion-specific amounts.