Options
124»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    no lie- 50$ for a downloadable book is egregious considering a hard copy is 60$.

GTFO

On what basis? The information is the same regardless of the version you buy, and isn't that where the value/benefit lies?

um- industry standard?

My text book for dance is a 75$ book- and I effing paid for it. The downloadable version is like 25 bucks.

So yeah- content is great- I'd even be willing to pay 35-40 possibly- but it's absolutely effing absurd that the downloadable is literally TEN dollars less than the "hard copy" one- which @Wheelhouse15 is right- is probably not even a printed book. At least my dance book is an actual text book. With pictures- and a binding- and glossy pages.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I get it in principle; it was mostly a rhetorical question. If the value isn't there for you, then don't buy it. I guess the use of the term egregious pricked me a little bit. Thinking about everything that went into the book.. the time spent on education, research, writing, editing, etc, and you expect a significant discount because they removed the most efficient and automated aspect?

Sorry, I guess I'm just a little more prickly this morning than usual... and that's saying something.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    no lie- 50$ for a downloadable book is egregious considering a hard copy is 60$.

GTFO

I doubt that it even costs $10 to actually print the book.

I guess I don't think it's an unreasonable price considering how much time he spent researching and writing--he's probably been working on it for 3-4 years--and the fact that he is running his own storefront.

But that's what markets are for.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    can we add Jeff Cavaliere (athlean x) - not a researcher, but he backs up what he says and challenges a lot of the broscience.

You can, but there is not as much consensus that he is one of the “good guys”. There are a lot of people who think he is a self-promoting huckster.

I have seen a number of his videos and my general feeling is that, even if he is blowing smoke sometimes, nothing he recommends is harmful or bad for you. And a lot of it may be really good (I don’t claim to be a PT expert). I have found his ideas on shoulder biomechanics helpful for some of my clients.

But since some things he recommends go outside of the accepted bro-canons, I think he receives more criticism from that camp.

I think he's one of the good guys. He comes across as a Bro, and he contradicts Bro canon and that sets some people on edge. He definitely has the volume up to 11. which helps get the message out to certain people that wouldn't otherwise listen. But that's just Schtick IMO

I agree—I look past his presentation and focus on what he actually says. He’s definitely got the credentials.

I’m sure he looks in the mirror every day and says: “Who says you can’t be smart AND beautiful?” :D

But I saw him mentioned on a reddit forum last week and I was surprised at the intensity of some of the negative reactions.

Reddit is a cesspool lol.

That's why I spend my time here--with the other beautiful people. (even though we are accused of being "mean", too, at times).

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    How did it just hit me what FOS stood for? That PSMF ruined my brain. jk. sorry bad jk.

If it's per the RFL protocol, it's completely soul-sucking. I think that's forgiveable. Lol.

May as well also throw in Michael Zourdos to complete the MASS trinity with Eric Helms and Greg Nuckols.

I think some other credible individuals would be:

Dr. Jose Antonio - head of the ISSN
    Alex Leaf - Examine.com
    Aadam Ali - Physiqonomics
    Sohee Lee - Sohee Fit

I am saddened but not surprised to see that the world of top fitness writers/researchers is almost a complete sausage-fest.

ETA: Changed to "almost" because I didn't realize Sohee was a woman's name. If I missed anyone else on the other lists I'd be happy to downgrade to "mostly."
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

GTFO

I guess I don't think it's an unreasonable price considering how much time he spent researching and writing--he's probably been working on it for 3-4 years--and the fact that he is running his own storefront.

It's less expensive than it used to be. According to Amazon.com print on demand, a 300 pg color bound Print on demand is about 25 dollars.

your other fees, layout, copyedit, etc are fixed and sunk, but it's certainly more than $10 if it's a color glossy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I get it in principle; it was mostly a rhetorical question. If the value isn't there for you, then don't buy it. I guess the use of the term egregious pricked me a little bit. Thinking about everything that went into the book.. the time spent on education, research, writing, editing, etc, and you expect a significant discount because they removed the most efficient and automated aspect?

Sorry, I guess I'm just a little more prickly this morning than usual... and that's saying something.

I pretty much hate everyone today- so it puts us on the same page- which isn't good for internetz conversations LMAO. So I hear you.

I get that there is value- but it still annoys me.

GTFO

It's less expensive than it used to be. According to Amazon.com print on demand, a 300 pg color bound Print on demand is about 25 dollars.

your other fees, layout, copyedit, etc are fixed and sunk, but it's certainly more than $10 if it's a color glossy.

the likelihood that its' that well printed is... ahem- small. Most of these books are usually like paper and spiral bound with that crappy plastic crap. But whatever.

I can take my own, frequently given advice "you don't want to buy it- don't buy it"
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Eric Helms is charging $67 for his Muscle and Strength Nutrition and Training Pyramids e-books. I bought them for $50 when they were on sale and IMO they're worth every penny for the knowledge/information they contain.

I'm not a woman and don't train women (I don't train anybody but myself, for that matter) - but if either of the former were the case, I'd pay the asking price for Lyle's e-book. From what I've seen of it in the TOC and previews he's posted, nothing like it has ever been written before.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    racwalleye wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Other than genetics and the difference in genitalia, arguably the largest biological difference between women and men is in the relative amounts of the primary reproductive hormones.

I was open to reading Lyle's article regarding women when it was recommended elsewhere here on MFP (https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/announcements/women-nutrition-fat-loss-teaser.html/).

Then I read the above quoted sentence written by Lyle it contains. It tells me all I need to know about him. And that would be he doesn't know anything, is too lazy to bother to learn otherwise, but is going to insist he's a subject matter expert nonetheless. Ain't got no time for such nonsense.

Men and women have biologically homologous genitalia. If you don't know this basic fact of human anatomy and physiology, you have zero business educating others about it, and anything coming out of your mouth after it is highly suspect regarding validity.

Yet he's in the final process of publishing a women's book that's nearly 400 pages long and contains almost 1,000 references to peer-reviewed research. The most comprehensive, evidence-based book about women's training and nutrition that's ever been written. He's also currently coaching a female powerlifter who's doing quite well in her competitions. That is, if you'd consider holding the current world records for each lift in her age/weight class as "quite well".

To say that Lyle knows nothing about females is absolutely laughable. To say that he sometimes has a dry, sarcastic and somewhat tawdry sense of humor which shows through in his writings would be entirely accurate.

Agreed.

Lyle is indeed on top of the game. He is very well respected for many reasons.

But as others said, he is brash. But so are lots of people. He likes to deal with those that aren't total beginners, he gets frustrated with simple questions easily.

I'd say he's probably top 5 in the industry if not better.
    Please make a thread of TOP people in the industry because their is SO much kittenwash and broscience out there it gives me a headache.

We could definitely make a list of evidence based or highly qualified professionals to follow. I'd start with:
    Alan Aragon
    Eric Helms
    Danny Lennon
    Lawrence Judd
    Luke Johnson
    Bret Contreras
    Layne Norton
    Greg Nuckols
    Mike Israetel
    Brad Schoenfeld

Just a few that come to the top of my head

Brad Dieter, PhD - science based nutrition/eat to perform
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »
    racwalleye wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Other than genetics and the difference in genitalia, arguably the largest biological difference between women and men is in the relative amounts of the primary reproductive hormones.

I was open to reading Lyle's article regarding women when it was recommended elsewhere here on MFP (https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/announcements/women-nutrition-fat-loss-teaser.html/).

Then I read the above quoted sentence written by Lyle it contains. It tells me all I need to know about him. And that would be he doesn't know anything, is too lazy to bother to learn otherwise, but is going to insist he's a subject matter expert nonetheless. Ain't got no time for such nonsense.

Men and women have biologically homologous genitalia. If you don't know this basic fact of human anatomy and physiology, you have zero business educating others about it, and anything coming out of your mouth after it is highly suspect regarding validity.

Yet he's in the final process of publishing a women's book that's nearly 400 pages long and contains almost 1,000 references to peer-reviewed research. The most comprehensive, evidence-based book about women's training and nutrition that's ever been written. He's also currently coaching a female powerlifter who's doing quite well in her competitions. That is, if you'd consider holding the current world records for each lift in her age/weight class as "quite well".

To say that Lyle knows nothing about females is absolutely laughable. To say that he sometimes has a dry, sarcastic and somewhat tawdry sense of humor which shows through in his writings would be entirely accurate.

Agreed.

Lyle is indeed on top of the game. He is very well respected for many reasons.

But as others said, he is brash. But so are lots of people. He likes to deal with those that aren't total beginners, he gets frustrated with simple questions easily.

I'd say he's probably top 5 in the industry if not better.
    Please make a thread of TOP people in the industry because their is SO much kittenwash and broscience out there it gives me a headache.

We could definitely make a list of evidence based or highly qualified professionals to follow. I'd start with:
    Alan Aragon
    Eric Helms
    Danny Lennon
    Lawrence Judd
    Luke Johnson
    Bret Contreras
    Layne Norton
    Greg Nuckols
    Mike Israetel
    Brad Schoenfeld

Just a few that come to the top of my head

Brad Dieter, PhD - science based nutrition/eat to perform