White Rice and Asians

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    BING BING BING!! Not metabolism, it's the portions sizes. Asian portions are just smaller in general.

SPECIAL ENZYME ... and as another poster mentioned, it's also the one that gives many the red face when alcohol touches our lips.

Have you not yet discovered Pecid AC?

I can confirm...Pepcid is magic for me.

Seriously? How is it that I've never heard of this?! I'm trying it immediately. (well, when I get off work)

Does this work? Cause I turn like purple after a wine cooler, I gave up on trying to drink a long time ago. I don't even know what being drunk feels like I go from sober to passed out. :noway:

I don't know about other Asians, but I read most Japanese are intolerant to alcohol. That's why we turn so red so quick.

well then i'm intolerant to exercise because that happens to me.

To correct/add...it is an intolerance or/and an allergy. I'd have to go try to search for the links. Feeling lazy right now.
  • walk_fit
    walk_fit Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I eat rice only because it is gluten free but lately kept it strictly to 1/2 cup of Basmati low glycemic index rice.Rice is definetely the way to go considering the number of diseases wheat is causing.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Which Asians? There are 49 countries in Asia and they don't all eat the same foods.

You and your crazy facts.

I think that we can all agree that it's the calorie burn from all the poor driving.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing so hard at some of these comments! OMG :noway:
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Which Asians? There are 49 countries in Asia and they don't all eat the same foods.

THANK YOU. I have experienced that frustration when I was told that by Asian they only meant the Chinese and the Japanese. The rest of us from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka etc are from an yet unnamed continent.

To answer OP, in India we ate tons of rice but we also walked everywhere. Cars were used only when traveling more than 10miles away.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm Asian & I'm a Filipino

well for me,, white rice is very common here in the Philippines,, but be conscious on white rice,, because too much white rice can make you fat or diabetes because of high content of carbs & sugar.

Filipinos are considered Asian I believe. And why would Japan and such be able to consume so much white rice and not have a diabetes problem. FAIL.

Fail? then eat too much white rice and don't exercise. well see about that :smokin:

of course Filipinos are Asian because Philippines is part of Asia.

And In Japan or Japanese people you say? well Because they do exercise or there body produce insulin. And it's depend also on the Genetics. :tongue:
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

We all apparently eat white rice though.

True. And all of you are thin.

Have you met us Indians and our neighbors the Pakistanis and Sri Lankans? Yeah. Not thin.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I think it's portions and exercise. If there is a special genetic thing then I guess it skipped me lol
  • PikaKnight
    Options

well for me,, white rice is very common here in the Philippines,, but be conscious on white rice,, because too much white rice can make you fat or diabetes because of high content of carbs & sugar.

Filipinos are considered Asian I believe. And why would Japan and such be able to consume so much white rice and not have a diabetes problem. FAIL.

Fail? then eat too much white rice and don't exercise. well see about that :smokin:

And In Japan or Japanese people you say? well Because they do exercise or there body produce insulin. And it's depend also on the Genetics. :tongue:

What you said is if you eat too much white rice you'll get diabetes or fat. If you eat within your calorie allowance (with or without exercise)...then it is fine.

By the way, I'm Japanese-Irish-English and Filipino genetics isn't going to keep me fat or thin. How much I eat will do that.
  • choijanro
    Options

You didn't see without exercise. What you said is if you eat too much white rice you'll get diabetes or fat. If you eat within your calorie allowance (with or without exercise)...than this also false.

By the way, I'm Japanese-Irish-English and Filipino genetics isn't going to keep me fat or thin. How much I eat will do that.

well ,, it depends also on the calories you consume and burn,, but believe me,, white rice really can make you fat or diabetes because of the sugar and carbs and it has large calories especially with no exercise
  • PikaKnight
    Options

What you said is if you eat too much white rice you'll get diabetes or fat. If you eat within your calorie allowance (with or without exercise)...than it is fine

well ,, it depends also on the calories you consume and burn,, but believe me,, white rice really can make you fat or diabetes because of the sugar and carbs and it has large calories especially with no exercise

False. You don't have to exercise to eat rice. *smh*
  • choijanro
    Options

What you said is if you eat too much white rice you'll get diabetes or fat. If you eat within your calorie allowance (with or without exercise)...than it is fine

Really? then what about the high sugar & calories content of the rice? :wink:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Really? then what about the high sugar & calories content of the rice? :wink:

What about it? If you can fit in your calorie goals, it is fine. More kudos if you work it in your macros. But Japanese people (for example) aren't known for having a high diabetes problem. don't know about other Asian countries that consume lots of white rice. But I'm pretty sure there isn't some special power Japanese people have to be able to have their meals consist of lots of rice without getting diabetes. -.-
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but this thread is making me laugh. I am really sure eating white rice is what makes (non Asian) people overweight. It is totally not all the fast food, huge portions and inactivity that contributes to that at all....
    *smh*
  • miniversion
    miniversion Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the main reason is rice gets eaten one grain at a time....It takes so many calories to eat 1 you burn it all off and
    end up with a deficit by eating rice (cheeky grin)
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm half Filipino/ half American(Scottish, german, Irish)

When I visited my relatives in the Philippines ,I had a HEAPING portion of veggies and fish, and this small little palm sized scoop of rice. I was like, "WTF" grandma!!(just kidding)

The rice was a VERY small side. On the flip side(no pun intended to my fellow flips) I had a plateful of veggies and fish.

I actually don;t eat rice anymore. ANd that's because I know if I did I'd eat a whole tray of it, so I just stay away.And trust me..asians born in America and raised with a western diet have no problem at all gaining weight. Both my sisters are under 5'3 and about 180-200 lbs. Unfortunatetly they can't say, "but you're half asian and it's your genetics."

I get this alot from people.

But my sisters can't use that lame excuse. We share the same damn genetics except they are huge and I am not.. They just choose to eat big macs and eat a veggie or two and a tray of rice .

I just pass on both.
  • PoisonedCursed
    Options

We all apparently eat white rice though.

True. And all of you are thin.

NO, you can't just generalize like that. NOT ALL ASIANS ARE THIN. I'm an asian and I know plenty who are overweight, whoever assumes otherwise clearly have not seen the entire population to draw up such conclusion.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

THANK YOU. I have experienced that frustration when I was told that by Asian they only meant the Chinese and the Japanese. The rest of us from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka etc are from an yet unnamed continent.

In the UK, it's people from the regions you mention who are the default "Asians". The various stereotypes, I think, have to do with just size of demographic & familiarity.
  • PoisonedCursed
    Options

In the UK, it's people from the regions you mention who are the default "Asians". The various stereotypes, I think, have to do with
    just size of demographic & familiarity.

Yeah, exactly. That's the prejudice and stereotype
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

In the UK, it's people from the regions you mention who are the default "Asians". The various stereotypes, I think, have to do with
    just size of demographic & familiarity.

Yeah, exactly. That's the prejudice and stereotype

Yes, it is prejudice and stereotype... I'm just saying those are different, in the UK vs North America.