Intermittent Fasting

Options
This is for posts on your Intermittent Fasting, what you have learned, any informational articles to share, and your own experience on Intermittent Fasting (IF).

Replies

• MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Martin Berkhan is largely considered the leader of popularizing the intermittent fasting and leangains approach. I would suggest starting there and soak up as much as you can.

https://leangains.com/the-leangains-guide/

To answer the rest of your questions, IF is merely one tool (of many) in creating a calorie deficit for fat loss by restricting your eating window to a certain number of hours. It's not magic, and people can completely derail (binge) on this diet just like they can with any other diet.

As a list of positives, it trains you to understand the physiology of actual hunger cues; it promotes discipline and controlled freedom by plotting a strategy that allows you to eat at a regimented time; outside the feeding window, you're either asleep or working so you don't need to be thinking about food all the time; eating the bulk of your calories in a smaller window of time promotes satiety especially if you focus on protein (also what contributes to a calorie deficit).

Wow, thank you! This is a great start of information for this thread. I am new to this, but I noticed a few days that when I did do it, I had more energy, wasn't even hungry, and had more focus. I also felt that I was more in control of my life. I will share this with others. Thank you again! :)
  • MaryBethHempel
    edited January 2018
    Options
    BuffMom84 wrote: »
    “The trick is to not make intermittent fasting the new ‘norm’ for the body because then it can go into a storage mode and slow down metabolism. When this happens, the body starts holding onto our calories from our meals because it does not know when the next intake will be and somewhat prepares for a fast, which is unhealthy.”

I started IF on Sunday and I had not thought about this. But I also do a lot of HIIT workouts which is supposed to speed up your metabolism. So at what point do I stop doing IF?

You can do it a long time if you are doing the daily IF. I have to do more research, but I remember seeing that you can do almost a whole year. What are your intervals of IF? Are they 12:12, 18:6, or 20:4?
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    “The trick is to not make intermittent fasting the new ‘norm’ for the body because then it can go into a storage mode and slow down metabolism. When this happens, the body starts holding onto our calories from our meals because it does not know when the next intake will be and somewhat prepares for a fast, which is unhealthy.”

I started IF on Sunday and I had not thought about this. But I also do a lot of HIIT workouts which is supposed to speed up your metabolism. So at what point do I stop doing IF?

You can do it a long time if you are doing the daily IF. I have to do more research, but I remember seeing that you can do almost a whole year. What are your intervals of IF? Are they 12:12, 18:6, or 20:4?

Thanks for finding that information for me. I am currently doing 16:8 and been having success with that. I don't think I could eat all my calories for the day in only 4 or 6 hours. There are lots of books about IF, I think I will pick one and read more about it. :)
  • MaryBethHempel
    edited January 2018
    Options
    femmuzcle wrote: »
    Thomas Delauer and Dr. Berg on YouTube have some great videos on IF.
    Also, be careful of those sugar free drinks... Certain ones can still cause a caloric response in the body and therefore put you out of a fasting state. Also intermittent fasting combined with ketosis has been proven to have many health benefits. With this combination you're not just losing weight but you're losing fat. It's also been proven to have many health benefits such as increased insulin sensitivity, improved triglyceride and cholesterol levels, better blood glucose stabilization, increased energy levels, increased Focus, etc etc.

Thank you for the info. Do you know which sugar free drinks cause a caloric response and put you out of a fasting state?

I will check out the videos...Thank you again! :)
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options

Thanks for finding that information for me. I am currently doing 16:8 and been having success with that. I don't think I could eat all my calories for the day in only 4 or 6 hours. There are lots of books about IF, I think I will pick one and read more about it. :)

Great idea! Please share if you find any more useful information. I will have to check the books out myself. Looking forward to what you come up with. :)
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Which is precisely how IF works in creating a calorie deficit.

I like my three meals per day. I'm trying to lose about 10 lbs so I am eating at a deficit. I have digestive issues so if I tried to eat that much in a smaller time frame, it wouldn't work. Everyone's different and you gotta do what works for you. :)
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You can eat 12 meals during your eating window if you really wanted too. Clearly not recommended of course. Some people like me just eat at the beginning of the window and at the end. There are a lot of people who have their largest meal when they break fast. You have to try several things until your find the one that works for you.
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    There is a wealth of videos on You Tube on IF from Dr Jason Fung, who has written The Obesity Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting: How To Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and..

I actually wouldn't look to Fung for advice. He talks a good game and makes fasting sound compelling, but he's widely known for straw-manning arguments and science. He makes outrageous claims that muscle can be built on eating no nutrients at all or that calories are only a working theory and impractical for the purposes of metabolism.

Hmmm. I will have to check that out. I checked out your recommendation of Martin Berkhan and it seemed like he is more geared for men.
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    Martin Berkhan's demographic is primarily male, yes, but his approach is universal. I'm not sure what your goal is for IF, but if it's primarily for fat loss then Martin's approach is sufficient enough to follow. If you are wanting to practice fasting for any other reason, then perhaps Fung -might- pose some benefit, but comparing their respective knowledge of biochemistry and physiology, Berkhan has a firm and realistic grasp of nutrition and will dispense that advice as such. Fung will use metaphors and weave straw man arguments into his writing to support a bias. Whenever his view is challenged, Fung resorts to using the number of patients he's treated as his basis of evidence.

It's up to you who to listen to, and there are other resources out there for the same topic besides those two, like Aadam Ali (aka Physiqonomics) or Amy Berger, just take it with a grain of salt. Martin, Aadam, and Amy will tell you that it's not necessary to IF whereas Fung will kind of use the blanket approach that all people should more often than not.

Thank you for the info. Have you read any good books on IF?