What is your overcompensation for misery? [PIC HEAVY]

Options
BathtubBadger
BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
I've had this quote on my profile for a few weeks:

3RUMU.jpg

It seemed fitting. Now I am not so sure. I started to question why I was unhappy when I have everything. I am not terribly overweight, here's a pic of my 'befores' (which I can gladly look at and see so many improvements already). I am the definition of a pear shape. And I became more and more of a pear as my life sank because of depression.

3RUBe.PNG

Here's a pic of before my befores. I used to be the hot kid, popular in high school, practiced sports, excelled with my grades, graduated with honors. I was a high school senior at the age of 15. Don't take me as a snob. I'm saying all this because I feel it's important to stress: I have been overthrown by my own life decisions, turned mediocre, sank in depression and became an addict.

3RUSl.png

The reason for that? Law school. I won't go into that because I feel like it's subject for a new funny (and terribly tragic) post. I'll sum it up as: I hate everything to do with law.

law-student.jpg

Oh the joy. A grand career. So much STATUS. Nope. Nope. Big fat nope.

3RUUM.jpg

Then I am here now. I am twenty-one. As I took the wheel and changed majors (now I'm studying engineering), I also started to question other things in my life I am not satisfied with. So I started losing weight, got my grades up, maintain a job and an internship. There is still one thing I haven't been able to control: my addiction.

3RUTs.jpg

What do you buy? Why do you buy?
I came to a sudden (and saddening) realization this week. I am a consumer, and I do not have full control over it. I buy cosmetics because I am not fully satisfied with my appearance. I follow a couple beauty blogs and every new product is a 'must have': doesn't matter if I already have two or three foundations, five or six red lipsticks. I just "need" more.

3RV7t.jpg

"But awwww, I feel so pretty in Ruby Woo!"

You embrace flaws and compensate by hiding it: pulling the towel to another side. But it's a short towel, and the more you try to cover your stomach, more of your butt you'll expose. I am not unhappy because I'm overweight. I'm overweight because I'm unhappy. Likewise, I am not unhappy because of my addiction: I am addicted because I am unhappy.
The trigger for my sudden realization was this:

3RUI0.jpg

It's a serious thing! Vanity. I am vain. I bought all these products just because the packaging is pretty. Am I telling myself that I just want to have a pretty packaging as well?

3RUZC.jpg

"I don't know why, but I think it's not working."

Hell, I can't even read the instructions:

3RV1e.jpg

"I think I have to put it on my face? Yep. That seems correct."

Makes you 'relax' about things you shouldn't. I read this 'The Oatmeal' comic yesterday here on the forums. I saw this specific pannel that I felt like many people here would be able to relate to:

3RUYr.jpg

What are you running from?
What is your overcompensation for misery?

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Pie.
  • BathtubBadger
    Options

Pie.

What sort of pie?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Pie.

What sort of pie?

that's a silly question.

all pie.
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    All pie is good pie. Sweet or savoury.

Miserable? Take things, place in pastry, devour. Bask in the happiness.
  • BathtubBadger
    Options

Pie.

What sort of pie?

that's a silly question.

all pie.

Cream pie.
  • PlanetoftheAtheists
    Options
    Misery? What is that? I never feel miserable.

Ever.
  • BathtubBadger
    Options
    Misery? What is that? I never feel miserable.

Ever.

teach.jpg
  • Zomoniac
    Options

Pie.

What sort of pie?

that's a silly question.

all pie.

Cream pie.

You win at the internet.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    ok. here's my response to the OP.

1) tl;dr

2) when life gives me lemons, i just remember back to HS football.

rub-some-dirt.jpg

(who am i kidding? i'd be lucky if life just gave me lemons. what life actually does to me is chase me down the street, trip me, go all Freddy Krueger on me, and then squeeze lemon juice into those fresh wounds!)

3) tl;dr
  • BathtubBadger
    Options
    C'mon. I even sectioned it in paragraphs with colorful pictures to make it a pleasant read. Damn you, Burro.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    C'mon. I even sectioned it in paragraphs with colorful pictures to make it a pleasant read. Damn you, Burro.

i'm colorblind.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    LifeGivesLemons_Fullpic_1_large.gif

ETA: Op is pretty, and I liked your post. :D
  • BathtubBadger
    Options
    LifeGivesLemons_Fullpic_1_large.gif

ETA: Op is pretty, and I liked your post. :D

<3:flowerforyou:
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    Good post! I get obsessed with a new hobby when my life is falling apart. Recently Krav Maga, before that writing, painting, running... it goes on and on. It's my way of hiding until everything works itself out.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The beach is mine. I like beach combing and that's where I run when I need to escape. You're not thinking of anything generally while you do it, just scanning the shell piles for familiar shapes and definitely NOT wondering how it came to be that you have a 4 year degree and 4 years of teaching experience but you can't even get McDonald's to call you for a job interview.

And I enjoyed your OP.
  • BathtubBadger
    Options
    Good post! I get obsessed with a new hobby when my life is falling apart. Recently Krav Maga, before that writing, painting, running... it goes on and on. It's my way of hiding until everything works itself out.

Happy that you keep it real and turns it into fun activities, at least :-) Mine is something I need to control. Yours is something you definitely need to embrace.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough, I totally get this.
    Mine is obviously food.

OP you've got me thinking this morning. Thank you.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I sit around and do nothing.
    True story.
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    Does crywank count?
  • BathtubBadger
    Options
    Does crywank count?

Man, ever finished, looked at what you were watching and thought: "what the hell am I doing with my life?"