• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Briantime wrote: »
    I don't agree that 10,000 steps is an "arbitrary" number. For the vast majority of people, that goal represents a substantial increase in their normal level of activity while being reasonably easy to achieve with some dedication and effort. It's certainly not a magic formula, but it fails the definition of "arbitrary".
    I don't agree that 10,000 steps is an "arbitrary" number. For the vast majority of people, that goal represents a substantial increase in their normal level of activity while being reasonably easy to achieve with some dedication and effort. It's certainly not a magic formula, but it fails the definition of "arbitrary".

Well, really, pretty much all our goals are arbitrary when you think of it. 10K isn't a bad number to aim for but it shouldn't be a cap either.

I have to say it really is arbitrary. It's a good arbitrary in that its achievable and sustainable, but it's still arbitrary. There's no studies of 5000 vs 8000 vs 10000 vs 13000.

arbitrary isn't bad.

When it comes to goal setting. Arbitrary is bad. To think otherwise would indicate you do not know the definition of arbitrary.

Then 10K steps is a bad goal.

As is the oft repeated goal of setting aside 10% of your paycheck or $100 a month for retirement.

Except they're good goals because they get you moving in the right direction. Once you start working at the arbitrary goal for a period of time you then have the experience and data to adjust to a personal/specific goal that's not arbitrary.

It's no less arbitrary than BMI. Which again is broadly useful but still arbitrary.

It seems that you don't understand goal setting or the definition of arbitrary.

Thank you. You're argument proved my point. A goal which represents a change in behavior and moves you in a positive direction by design, is, by definition, not arbitrary.

It appears you don't understand what arbitrary means, which is amusing since you accused me of not understanding it.

Please enlighten us all...

The question being asked is

How much should I move?

The answer is more.

The followup is how much more?

The answer again is more than you are right now.

The questioner asks again?

The respondant then selects and arbitrary large round number 10K. In order to shut up the questioner. Because 10K is such a lovely number it becomes ensconced in common use. Nevertheless it's still arbitrary. Because it's not based on any specific principle or rule.

Once the logic of the number created includes the thought process of increasing the number of steps for the average person substantially, it ceases to be arbitrary.

Since you are either too lazy, or too invested in your position to actually look it up, I am providing you the definition of the word "arbitrary".

Definition of arbitrary
    1 a : existing or coming about seemingly at random or by chance or as a capricious and unreasonable act of will an arbitrary choice

b : based on or determined by individual preference or convenience rather than by necessity or the intrinsic nature of something an arbitrary standard take any arbitrary positive number

Very good. now explain how 10000 is NOT arbitrary based on the definition you just provided.

I'll wait.

The average person gets between 2000 and 4000 steps so 5000 is more. 7500 is more 6832 is more, etc. 10000 is a big pretty round number. there's no reason behind selecting it other than to provide a number.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

If you actually look at how 10,000 steps was picked you'd see that it was, in fact, arbitrary....just like the 8 glasses of water thing. Being arbitrary doesn't make it bad or useless.....

huffingtonpost.ca/leigh-vanderloo/10000-steps-a-day_b_16077702.html
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    JessM822 wrote: »
    It's a pointless arbitrary number.

I normally burn around 500 calories during my ten hour on my feet employment
    Currently due to surgery I am managing to walk around three miles each lunch time with the rest of the day being very sedentary due to tiredness and swelling. I burn around 100 calories over sedentary.

Both of these examples I hit 10000 steps.

Don't concentrate on steps. Concentrate on moving more than you do now.

Wouldn’t moving more mean having more steps? Why wouldn’t someone focus on their daily step count if it was making them move? This all came about as a fun way to have people challenge themselves to MOVE more.
    Like you said you hit 10,000 steps regularly. Why not increase your step count. You know that’s an option right? I know it’s very rare I have less than 16,000 steps a day. On my long training days I’ll get up over 30,000 steps in a day. I’m like everyone else and like to see how many steps I can do in a day.

moving more is great...but there are far more efficient ways to get equivalent activity that is also higher intensity. I work a desk job and rarely get 10K steps per day...from a time management perspective, it is much more efficient for me to go get on my bike after work and ride a 20K or do some sprint intervals on my bike and take longer rides on the weekend and hit the weight room than to spend hours trying to get steps.

From a cardiovascular fitness standpoint, steps have a pretty low ceiling as well...I'm far better off spending my available time doing higher intensity exercise. If I could get both, that would be great...but for the work I do, it's not really a reality and I'm pretty sure my boss would question why I'm spending all of my time walking around the office rather than working.

With the exercise that I do, I'm already considered active to very active as per my TDEE...being active is what is important whether that's steps or deliberate higher intensity exercise.

Very true, health benefits of walking are good but not as robust as those from more intense workouts. Maximizing health means working on all aspects such as cardio endurance, strength, and flexibility/mobility. Intensive cardio and resistance training are a must in my view as well. I imagine one reason why more steps is more beneficial is that those who take more steps are also more active in other respects.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Currently due to surgery I am managing to walk around three miles each lunch time with the rest of the day being very sedentary due to tiredness and swelling. I burn around 100 calories over sedentary.

Wouldn’t moving more mean having more steps? Why wouldn’t someone focus on their daily step count if it was making them move? This all came about as a fun way to have people challenge themselves to MOVE more.
    Like you said you hit 10,000 steps regularly. Why not increase your step count. You know that’s an option right? I know it’s very rare I have less than 16,000 steps a day. On my long training days I’ll get up over 30,000 steps in a day. I’m like everyone else and like to see how many steps I can do in a day.

moving more is great...but there are far more efficient ways to get equivalent activity that is also higher intensity. I work a desk job and rarely get 10K steps per day...from a time management perspective, it is much more efficient for me to go get on my bike after work and ride a 20K or do some sprint intervals on my bike and take longer rides on the weekend and hit the weight room than to spend hours trying to get steps.

From a cardiovascular fitness standpoint, steps have a pretty low ceiling as well...I'm far better off spending my available time doing higher intensity exercise. If I could get both, that would be great...but for the work I do, it's not really a reality and I'm pretty sure my boss would question why I'm spending all of my time walking around the office rather than working.

With the exercise that I do, I'm already considered active to very active as per my TDEE...being active is what is important whether that's steps or deliberate higher intensity exercise.

Very true, health benefits of walking are good but not as robust as those from more intense workouts. Maximizing health means working on all aspects such as cardio endurance, strength, and flexibility/mobility. Intensive cardio and resistance training are a must in my view as well. I imagine one reason why more steps is more beneficial is that those who take more steps are also more active in other respects.

Very true, because as you move more, moving becomes easier. and energy levels tend to increase.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Very true, because as you move more, moving becomes easier. and energy levels tend to increase.

See, I'm kinda the opposite. As I've gotten in better shape, I'm having a tougher time hitting the my arbitrary 8K number. I hit it on run days now problem, but I have trouble on days I lift, bike, or swim. It used to be I just focused on the number of steps and would hit 8K most days. But I've given up on a step goal as I'm doing more things that don't give me steps.

It was a useful goal for me for a long time, maybe a year. But has been of less use the last 3-4 months.

And yes, the number (8K, 10K or whatever) is arbitrary.
  • stanmann571
    Options

See, I'm kinda the opposite. As I've gotten in better shape, I'm having a tougher time hitting the my arbitrary 8K number. I hit it on run days now problem, but I have trouble on days I lift, bike, or swim. It used to be I just focused on the number of steps and would hit 8K most days. But I've given up on a step goal as I'm doing more things that don't give me steps.

It was a useful goal for me for a long time, maybe a year. But has been of less use the last 3-4 months.

Yeah, on my run days(Pokémon GO!), I'm often at 16-17k. On my lifting days, I'm closer to 6-7K. If I have a lifting day that's also a weekend it's lower unless I end up shopping or working in a walk.

I did caveat above that cyclists have more trouble hitting step goals.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I do Stepbets. In the Stepbet app, you choose a Stepbet to join. There are various types of Stepbets - some are 6 days a week with one day of no steps, some are 7 days, some are 5. Some last 4 weeks, some last 6 weeks. Some are for anyone (house takes 25% off the top, with some exceptions) some are only for people who have paid to become members (house takes nothing). The Stepbet you join looks at your step history and calculates a goal for you and you alone that may be a bit higher than you normally step or may be in line with your usual steps (it depends upon the Stepbet you join) and usually (but not always) includes 2 days of steps that are more than your usual goal days.

The goal is to get you up and moving just a little bit more than you were moving before (unless you join a stepbet with the goal of getting you up and moving as much as you have been moving - these are popular with long-time stepbetters such as myself).

To date, I've lost 2 stepbets out of something like 14. One was because I had to go and take care of my mom when she was ill, and one was because I had the flu and we were in a record cold front (I've met my step goals when I had the flu and when we had a record cold front, but both. . .time to throw in the towel for once.) My husband has noted that I take my $30 bet (my average bet) quite seriously. (I usually make about $10 off each bet, so a payout of around $40 bucks.)

On the main I enjoy my walks. I listen to audiobooks as I walk and make that time sacrossant in my daily schedule, even going so far as to look for hotels with easy access to pleasant and safe walking locations when I travel. The fact that my rear end has become quite shapely from this is a bonus.

I really don't care if I would get more health benefits from going to a gym or doing HIIT. I wouldn't enjoy it, so I likely wouldn't stick with it. I stick with this because I enjoy it. It's low cost, low injury and something I can see myself doing for the next 20 or 30 years.

10K steps is a nice figure to toss around, but in the end, if it's doable for you, do it. If it's not, don't do it. Find some form of exercise you enjoy that you can stick with for a long time that you can see yourself doing in 5 years. Then don't beat yourself up or let anyone else beat you up or denigrate what you enjoy doing that gets you up and moving. Life's too short to do that. Everyone runs their own race.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Yeah, on my run days(Pokémon GO!), I'm often at 16-17k. On my lifting days, I'm closer to 6-7K. If I have a lifting day that's also a weekend it's lower unless I end up shopping or working in a walk.

I did caveat above that cyclists have more trouble hitting step goals.

As an avid cyclist, I concur...though for *kitten* and giggles I have put my phone in my mountain biking shorts pocket...lots of steps, LOL...

I was in Tanzania over the holidays on Safari...we were out in jeeps pretty much 8 hours per day and I had my phone in my pocket and was easily logging 20K+ steps per day just sitting and standing in the jeep on bumpy dirt roads...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Arbitrary inasmuch there is no science behind 10K cf 9K cf 11K.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options

She indicated that each 2500 steps actually knocks you up an activity level so somewhat arbitrary yes but not entirely. The whole purpose of her study was basically to see if 10K steps really was beneficial and what level a person should be aiming for. As much as possible seems to be the answer.

I guess that gets us into the realms of impact. If 2500 is good, and 10000 is better, then 20000 is better still. If someone has that kind of time then there are much more efficient ways to get a cardiac benefit.

As an example, if I'm working from home and get 2000 steps in, should I go out to get the extra 8000 or spend half an hour on my turbo trainer? At that point is comparable, but I can get far more from the turbo, or my rowing machine, in the time it would take me to get 18000 steps.

Going for a run on the other hand, 18000 steps is quite easy, but 10000 is much more accessible. In that sense, whilst arbitrary it's a reasonable goal for the otherwise sedentary.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

She indicated that each 2500 steps actually knocks you up an activity level so somewhat arbitrary yes but not entirely. The whole purpose of her study was basically to see if 10K steps really was beneficial and what level a person should be aiming for. As much as possible seems to be the answer.

I guess that gets us into the realms of impact. If 2500 is good, and 10000 is better, then 20000 is better still. If someone has that kind of time then there are much more efficient ways to get a cardiac benefit.

As an example, if I'm working from home and get 2000 steps in, should I go out to get the extra 8000 or spend half an hour on my turbo trainer? At that point is comparable, but I can get far more from the turbo, or my rowing machine, in the time it would take me to get 18000 steps.

Going for a run on the other hand, 18000 steps is quite easy, but 10000 is much more accessible. In that sense, whilst arbitrary it's a reasonable goal for the otherwise sedentary.

Definitely agree with that as I've already mentioned more intensive and varied exercise will have benefits over the basic step goals.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

This argument is cracking me up (the whole thing, not you in particular MM). Cultures that use base ten numbering systems find meaning in multiples of the number ten. It's arbitrary because the number itself doesn't actually matter outside of our own shared understanding of it. Why not base six? Why not base two? But it's not arbitrary because when you train your mind to work in base ten, then multiples of ten have meaning that multiples of eight don't (I hate eights). We like fives okay, since it's half of ten. Multiples of ten are better, and powers of ten are the best, because we just really freaking love tens. Ergo, we make a big deal out of 10,000 step goals, the first 100 days of a presidency, birthdays that fall on multiples of ten, and so on.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It's better than 0 steps.

It's not as good as 20k steps.

If I did not prioritize fitness my day forces me to put in ~5k steps.

Since I do prioritize fitness I get up and walk every hour, take extra steps wherever I go and consistently get >10k steps daily.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

This argument is cracking me up (the whole thing, not you in particular MM). Cultures that use base ten numbering systems find meaning in multiples of the number ten. It's arbitrary because the number itself doesn't actually matter outside of our own shared understanding of it. Why not base six? Why not base two? But it's not arbitrary because when you train your mind to work in base ten, then multiples of ten have meaning that multiples of eight don't (I hate eights). We like fives okay, since it's half of ten. Multiples of ten are better, and powers of ten are the best, because we just really freaking love tens. Ergo, we make a big deal out of 10,000 step goals, the first 100 days of a presidency, birthdays that fall on multiples of ten, and so on.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

*shakes head*
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Fitbit grossly over counts steps, at least in my experience. It awards me over 200 steps for brushing teeth, for crying out loud, when I stay in one place. According to it, I average 12000 ish steps on work days, and I do walk around a lot, but still not that much. As of now, I put my watch back on and only wear it on my road rides, just for the heart rate info.
  • stanmann571
    Options

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

There are 10 types of people in this world, Those who understand binary, those who understand that binary isn't the only alternative base system, and those who will woo this joke.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Oh I'd agree. I've noticed huge difference in how different cultures approach influence. The 10K originated in Japan, where power distance is significant and appeal to authority role is a massive part of getting things achieved. So being directed to take 10K steps is ready to conceptualise, as you highlight, and likely to be adhered to because of role authority and position power.

I'm the US I've observed much greater role authority than I'm used to in the UK, but in both the figure of 10K is open to negotiation. Both cultures are much more comfortable challenging position power and racing a deal.

It's fascinating.
  • fat_engineer
    fat_engineer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I’ll keep hittin my 10k step goal. And try and do it on the weekends too.