How beneficial is 10k steps

Options
I’ve been hitting my step goal daily for a while. But how beneficial is it actually. Do you think you actually burn calories from light walking at work all day ?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    10k steps is an arbitrary number that originated in Japan which for some unknown reason as been accepted in the US (and other countries internationally).

10k steps for me is equal to about 4 miles and there's no way that I'm going to walk that far in an ordinary day. That only happens when I go on a hike for 5-10 miles, which I was doing weekly until the weather turned cold and wet.

I prefer to row 10k meters a day (which is also an arbitrary number) for my aerobic activity instead.

Doing so, I burn about 550-560 cals in an hr, which I can do in the comfort of my home, and is much more effective in terms of time and the cals burned when compared walking which, according to my pedometer, only burns 400 cals in 1.75 hrs.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's a pointless arbitrary number.

I normally burn around 500 calories during my ten hour on my feet employment
    Currently due to surgery I am managing to walk around three miles each lunch time with the rest of the day being very sedentary due to tiredness and swelling. I burn around 100 calories over sedentary.

Both of these examples I hit 10000 steps.

Don't concentrate on steps. Concentrate on moving more than you do now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I only usually hit 10000 steps on running days, or maybe days I have a couple of meeting out of the office... my usual step count is around 6000, which doesn't seem to be doing me any harm.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It’s just a number, it’s the sentiment behind it that’s important - the more you move, the healthier you’ll be.

What it has done is mobilise more people and get them thinking about their fitness and general lifestyle and that’s gotta be a good thing.

As for me? I, like many others only hit 10k on a run day. But if I happen to be a couple of hundred off whatever goal my tracker has set me for the day I sure as hell am gonna go for a walk to get that goal.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I aim to hit 10.000 everyday but I am fairly active in my job. When I run I get about 16.000 and when I hike (which I am doing next weekend ) should be more .

I personally like little sense of achievement hitting my daily goal and it motivates me .
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    10.000 steps of purposeful walking are around 6-7km for me. The calorie burn for walking is approximately miles * lbs weight * 0.3. Thus that's not much. But every movement is better than no movement. And even if you have an office job and stand at your desk instead of sitting, or fidgetting more you burn more calories. Other than that I guess 10.000 is just a convenient number: a little bit of a stretch goal for many, but still within reach.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Its marginal gains ... yes it burns a "few" more calories than sitting on your butt all day but it all adds up over the week.

Its why sedentary people can only have 1500cal goal compared to lightly active people that have a 1800cal goal to lose the same amount of weight a week

just think, if you could burn an extra 40calories an hour by walking not driving, going up stairs instead of the lift, doing light work etc etc for your working day .... its would be the equivalent for doing an hours run
  • sharness364
    sharness364 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a sixty five year old I set my step target at 15000 as the daily standard. On average I would say one third of that is brisk walking. If I average 110,000 per week this has definite benefits. I think if I didn't use a step counter I would probably average 7-8,000 per day. Not reaching a target is a positive guilt trip and I put on my shoes late evening and go out to make up the numbers. An additional benefit is the distraction from late evening snacking- 'the 10pm munchies'.
    In terms of calories I let this activity take care of itself in the belief it is a bonus that I best not account for; might justify half a dozen chocolate digestives, those with that delightful crunch combined with melt in the mouth chocolate; a combination that smacks willpower firmly on the chin should you be so weak and lily livered as to succumb to Satan's Biscuit Barrel Overture.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I’ve been hitting my step goal daily for a while. But how beneficial is it actually. Do you think you actually burn calories from light walking at work all day ?

Moving burns calories. The more you move the more calories you burn. Walking does not burn as many calories as some other activities but more than sitting or standing still. https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/06/22/how-many-calories-we-burn-when-we-sit-stand-or-walk/

A person who takes 10,000 steps is more active than someone taking 2,000 steps a day. There are health benefits to being active rather than totally sedentary. You do not have to get 10,000 steps every day to be active and healthy.
    https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/pa-health/index.htm

You can find lots of articles about "why 10,000 steps" is a recommendation and what benefits there could be.
    https://www.livescience.com/43956-walking-10000-steps-healthy.html
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Personally, my experiences show that moving more (steps) is better than moving less... but actual exercise (purposeful, higher intensity, etc) is better than general movement/activity.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    It's intended physical movement. Of course you'll burn more calories than sitting still for the same time period.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's an arbitrary number intended to make people more mindful of getting up and moving around (some research has gone so far as to suggest that sitting desk jobs are as unhealthy as smoking....a little hyperbole perhaps?)

Given that 10,000 steps equals 4 or 5 miles for most people it's not a killer calorie burn (30 cal / mile for every 100lbs of body weight) but is better than not moving.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Briantime wrote: »
    I don't agree that 10,000 steps is an "arbitrary" number. For the vast majority of people, that goal represents a substantial increase in their normal level of activity while being reasonably easy to achieve with some dedication and effort. It's certainly not a magic formula, but it fails the definition of "arbitrary".

Well, really, pretty much all our goals are arbitrary when you think of it. 10K isn't a bad number to aim for but it shouldn't be a cap either.