How beneficial is 10k steps

Options

Replies

• Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Briantime wrote: »
    I don't agree that 10,000 steps is an "arbitrary" number. For the vast majority of people, that goal represents a substantial increase in their normal level of activity while being reasonably easy to achieve with some dedication and effort. It's certainly not a magic formula, but it fails the definition of "arbitrary".

Well, really, pretty much all our goals are arbitrary when you think of it. 10K isn't a bad number to aim for but it shouldn't be a cap either.

Well, no. Maybe I'm trying to put too fine a point on it but for a goal to be arbitrary it would be random and without consideration. A goal can be wrong or worthless without being arbitrary.
  • Briantime
    Options
    I don't agree that 10,000 steps is an "arbitrary" number. For the vast majority of people, that goal represents a substantial increase in their normal level of activity while being reasonably easy to achieve with some dedication and effort. It's certainly not a magic formula, but it fails the definition of "arbitrary".

Well, really, pretty much all our goals are arbitrary when you think of it. 10K isn't a bad number to aim for but it shouldn't be a cap either.

I have to say it really is arbitrary. It's a good arbitrary in that its achievable and sustainable, but it's still arbitrary. There's no studies of 5000 vs 8000 vs 10000 vs 13000.

arbitrary isn't bad.

When it comes to goal setting. Arbitrary is bad. To think otherwise would indicate you do not know the definition of arbitrary.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I have to say it really is arbitrary. It's a good arbitrary in that its achievable and sustainable, but it's still arbitrary. There's no studies of 5000 vs 8000 vs 10000 vs 13000.

arbitrary isn't bad.

Actually, yes there have been. I was listening to a broadcast interview of a PhD in physiology who studied different step rates and her conclusions was that more is always better. They did some interesting breakdowns as well of the benefits achieved at each level of step from 5000, 7500, 10K, and 12.5K IIRC.

She indicated that each 2500 steps actually knocks you up an activity level so somewhat arbitrary yes but not entirely. The whole purpose of her study was basically to see if 10K steps really was beneficial and what level a person should be aiming for. As much as possible seems to be the answer.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

arbitrary isn't bad.

When it comes to goal setting. Arbitrary is bad. To think otherwise would indicate you do not know the definition of arbitrary.

So what would you set as the criteria for a goal that isn't arbitrary here?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

arbitrary isn't bad.

Then 10K steps is a bad goal.

As is the oft repeated goal of setting aside 10% of your paycheck or $100 a month for retirement.

Except they're good goals because they get you moving in the right direction. Once you start working at the arbitrary goal for a period of time you then have the experience and data to adjust to a personal/specific goal that's not arbitrary.

It's no less arbitrary than BMI. Which again is broadly useful but still arbitrary.

It seems that you don't understand goal setting or the definition of arbitrary.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    *sigh*
  • Briantime
    Options

arbitrary isn't bad.

As is the oft repeated goal of setting aside 10% of your paycheck or $100 a month for retirement.

Except they're good goals because they get you moving in the right direction. Once you start working at the arbitrary goal for a period of time you then have the experience and data to adjust to a personal/specific goal that's not arbitrary.

It's no less arbitrary than BMI. Which again is broadly useful but still arbitrary.

Thank you. You're argument proved my point. A goal which represents a change in behavior and moves you in a positive direction by design, is, by definition, not arbitrary.
  • stanmann571
    Options

arbitrary isn't bad.

Actually, yes there have been. I was listening to a broadcast interview of a PhD in physiology who studied different step rates and her conclusions was that more is always better. They did some interesting breakdowns as well of the benefits achieved at each level of step from 5000, 7500, 10K, and 12.5K IIRC.

She indicated that each 2500 steps actually knocks you up an activity level so somewhat arbitrary yes but not entirely. The whole purpose of her study was basically to see if 10K steps really was beneficial and what level a person should be aiming for. As much as possible seems to be the answer.

Was there a published study or just the note that more is always better?
  • stanmann571
    Options

arbitrary isn't bad.

Thank you. You're argument proved my point. A goal which represents a change in behavior and moves you in a positive direction by design, is, by definition, not arbitrary.

It appears you don't understand what arbitrary means, which is amusing since you accused me of not understanding it.
  • Briantime
    Options

arbitrary isn't bad.

It appears you don't understand what arbitrary means, which is amusing since you accused me of not understanding it.

Please enlighten us all...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    JessM822 wrote: »
    It's a pointless arbitrary number.

I normally burn around 500 calories during my ten hour on my feet employment
    Currently due to surgery I am managing to walk around three miles each lunch time with the rest of the day being very sedentary due to tiredness and swelling. I burn around 100 calories over sedentary.

Both of these examples I hit 10000 steps.

Don't concentrate on steps. Concentrate on moving more than you do now.

Wouldn’t moving more mean having more steps? Why wouldn’t someone focus on their daily step count if it was making them move? This all came about as a fun way to have people challenge themselves to MOVE more.
    Like you said you hit 10,000 steps regularly. Why not increase your step count. You know that’s an option right? I know it’s very rare I have less than 16,000 steps a day. On my long training days I’ll get up over 30,000 steps in a day. I’m like everyone else and like to see how many steps I can do in a day.

moving more is great...but there are far more efficient ways to get equivalent activity that is also higher intensity. I work a desk job and rarely get 10K steps per day...from a time management perspective, it is much more efficient for me to go get on my bike after work and ride a 20K or do some sprint intervals on my bike and take longer rides on the weekend and hit the weight room than to spend hours trying to get steps.

From a cardiovascular fitness standpoint, steps have a pretty low ceiling as well...I'm far better off spending my available time doing higher intensity exercise. If I could get both, that would be great...but for the work I do, it's not really a reality and I'm pretty sure my boss would question why I'm spending all of my time walking around the office rather than working.

With the exercise that I do, I'm already considered active to very active as per my TDEE...being active is what is important whether that's steps or deliberate higher intensity exercise.
  • stanmann571
    Options

arbitrary isn't bad.

The question being asked is

How much should I move?

The answer is more.

The followup is how much more?

The answer again is more than you are right now.

The questioner asks again?

The respondant then selects and arbitrary large round number 10K. In order to shut up the questioner. Because 10K is such a lovely number it becomes ensconced in common use. Nevertheless it's still arbitrary. Because it's not based on any specific principle or rule.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

arbitrary isn't bad.

Was there a published study or just the note that more is always better?

I'll take a look, as far as I could tell it was published but since it was on in the car I didn't really get the notes on the journal etc.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options

arbitrary isn't bad.

I think the point wasn't that the GOAL is arbitrary, but the NUMBER is. Honestly, I think 10k is picked as a common goal because it's a number that's easy to remember. I really don't know how many steps per day is considered "lightly active." And I know that "sedentary" doesn't mean bedridden, so there's some steps there, though I don't know how many. But 10k=active. I got that one.

I disagree that arbitrary numbers are BAD when it comes to goal setting. I think that overstates things. A number that is individualized to your abilities and long-term goals will be BETTER, certainly, but IMO, trying beats not trying.
  • Briantime
    Options

arbitrary isn't bad.

The question being asked is

How much should I move?

The answer is more.

The followup is how much more?

The answer again is more than you are right now.

The questioner asks again?

The respondant then selects and arbitrary large round number 10K. In order to shut up the questioner. Because 10K is such a lovely number it becomes ensconced in common use. Nevertheless it's still arbitrary. Because it's not based on any specific principle or rule.

Once the logic of the number created includes the thought process of increasing the number of steps for the average person substantially, it ceases to be arbitrary.

Since you are either too lazy, or too invested in your position to actually look it up, I am providing you the definition of the word "arbitrary".

Definition of arbitrary
    1 a : existing or coming about seemingly at random or by chance or as a capricious and unreasonable act of will an arbitrary choice

b : based on or determined by individual preference or convenience rather than by necessity or the intrinsic nature of something an arbitrary standard take any arbitrary positive number
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

arbitrary isn't bad.

I think the point wasn't that the GOAL is arbitrary, but the NUMBER is. Honestly, I think 10k is picked as a common goal because it's a number that's easy to remember. I really don't know how many steps per day is considered "lightly active." And I know that "sedentary" doesn't mean bedridden, so there's some steps there, though I don't know how many. But 10k=active. I got that one.

I disagree that arbitrary numbers are BAD when it comes to goal setting. I think that overstates things. A number that is individualized to your abilities and long-term goals will be BETTER, certainly, but IMO, trying beats not trying.

From the interview with the physiologist, and some other sources I've seen, <5000 is sedentary, <7500 is light, <10000 is moderate <12.5K is active etc.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I also will point out, if @fat_engineer is still reading, that your professional peers notice and laugh at you behind your back, as your professional opportunities are foreclosed by the body-image bigotry of those who hold power over you. I know, I've lived it.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    <---- 6 (almost 7) years at a desk job 8-5 and I walk around the office/manufacturing plant every hour or so...

I have started running with my dogs (during the warm months), but other than that I don't do much exercising.
    I'm pretty lazy during the cold months and would prefer to be a bear hibernating...

10,000 steps a day is impressive and hard to reach for some (most?) people.
    I know I struggle to get that many in a day.
    I focus more on diet and staying under or at my calorie goal for the day.