Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why stress makes your fat - Article on the BBC website.

Options
Wen2Run
Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
I saw this article this morning and I think this could be the sort of thing that more awareness needs to be raised about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42788280

Unless you want to ignore the science, we all know that weight gain, weight loss and maintenance is all about CICO.

But often the thing that we need to control more, in my opinion are the things that make the CI > CO of that equation.

I have managed to lose almost 4 stone counting calories and over the last year my weight has slowly crept up, I'm about 12lbs heavy than my ideal running weight. I know that I want to drop those 12lbs, I know that I have to count my calories and I know everything I need to to get back where I want to be.

But...I have so many things going on in my life at the moment, which are just causing me to hit up the snacks or the drink.

Apart from exercise, what other methods do people use to deal with stresses which are beyond the normal working life stuff?

A good friend of mine, sort of recommended "mindful meditation". Which I intend to have a look at, but at the moment I don't think I can find the time for even that, which I know is just an excuse because I know if I was truly honest with myself I could easily workout where I am wasting time.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Don't know what "method" I use. The 4 most stressful times in my life (mother having stroke, going to nursing home, passing a week later, 2 serious injuries to one of my kids, father in law passing away after a long illness) along with multiple incidents of stress at work (massive layoffs, deadlines, etc) have resulted in weight loss.

I guess I have too much else on my mind and really don't give a *kitten* about eating at those times.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It very much depends on what is stressing me out. I tend to shut down when I'm extremely stressed so there isn't much time for eating when I'm sleeping 18 hours a day. "Warrior breathing" is something I think I just do instinctively. It does help when I finally work up the courage to go on with my life. I have yet to find a better method to deal with my stress.
  • gpokerlund
    gpokerlund Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Don't know what "method" I use. The 4 most stressful times in my life (mother having stroke, going to nursing home, passing a week later, 2 serious injuries to one of my kids, father in law passing away after a long illness) along with multiple incidents of stress at work (massive layoffs, deadlines, etc) have resulted in weight loss.

I guess I have too much else on my mind and really don't give a *kitten* about eating at those times.
    Packerjohn wrote: »

• gpokerlund
    gpokerlund Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im very similar. In times of extreme stress, i lose my appetite. There are people who eat non stop when stressed, we are all so different. There is not a simple solution that will work for everyone. Its learning about “yourself” and your body type and metabolism and what works for you. Becoming self aware and educating ones self about nutrient timing, carb cycling, intermittent fasting etc... is the first step to knowing how to cure yourself. Stop listening to everyone else and start listening to what your body is telling you. Moderation is key. The body wants and needs homeostasis. It took me the better part of my adult years to finally listen to my body and know what it needed to be balanced. If something isnt working try something else. Your body is your temple and we should treat it that way.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I personally find stress makes me stress-eat, then I feel bad then I sad-eat

Mindful meditation sets off my anxiety, so I don't do that, I mostly set store by CBT techniques.

I'd recommend these videos though, he has a whole series but I found these two really fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6402QJp52M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Stress for me means lack of appetite and losing more weight... thankfully I am not under stress too often.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fearing stress can make it worse.

https://www.ted.com/talks/kelly_mcgonigal_how_to_make_stress_your_friend/up-next

Trying to wrestle your mind in to peacefulness only makes it worse.

The key is to quietly observe without judgement, including those thoughts asking yourself if the time were better spent in the gym?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I got nothing. Food's the only thing that makes me feel good/relieves stress.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Stress is a huge mindless eating trigger for me. I'm pretty good with dealing with stressful situations where I need to perform (work stuff), but stress like my mom's illness and death and awful family stuff and things where I have no control I have longstanding bad habits of numbing emotions with eating that are hard to kick and tend to be my impulse when all willpower or energy or whatever is going to other things.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The BBC, both television and radio, is paid for by licence fee, which makes it our public broadcasting organisation as such it has to be unbiased, open and honest in the information it broadcasts. Obviously this is very different to the broadcasting organisations other countries allow.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, I meant to add that mindful meditation is really helpful to me, and it has nothing to do with trying to wrestle your mind to peacefulness, but indeed learning to observe without judgment to eventually manage to deal better with things like stress. Some people, like me, seem to have a reaction (learned, but over a long period of time and really ingrained) to block negative feelings and emotions, and that's not helpful, so it can be a way of allowing yourself to deal with them.
  • asviles
    asviles Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Y'all need to get that Zen going on. No matter what task you're doing, remind yourself every few minutes to relax your shoulders and take a deep breath. When you have a repetitive task focus on trying to flow through the task. Don't be a robot, be a water-wheel that flows the motion effortlessly. You'll find your brain loves the feeling of flowing through things and you'll begin to find that repetitive tasks are actually therapeutic. Cooking is therapy for me. There's something deeply fluid about cutting up produce and balancing the timing of the different ingredients so that everything comes out at the same time. Once cutting produce and meat becomes a source of peace for you, then the act of calling for pizza when you're stressed becomes stressful. This is the reason people who practice martial arts often seem so peaceful. They spend so much time practicing one simple movement and learning to flow those movements into the next, and spend so much time learning to relax and tense their muscles at will and controlling their breathing that Zen comes to them without even focusing on it. They often become so serene that while practicing fighting and entering the ring to fight, they end up being the absolute last person to get into a stupid bar brawl or a road rage incident.

Get some Zen dudes.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with this and see so many people getting lost in the weeds over what they are clearly stressing about, but instead identifying the wrong root cause, such as CICO.

I am a huge proponent of meditation and focused breathing exercises. In the military this was termed "warrior breathing" and was a simple 5 count cycle - inhale for 5 count through the nose, hold for 5, exhale for 5 count through the mouth, hold for 5, repeat. This puts the body in an optimal state, allows you to think clearly and provides time for reflection and focus of purpose.

Stress is such a nebulous term. Most people are unaware that they are over-stressed as they have become used to it or they have no knowledge on how to de-stress. Many would think taking time to de-stress would actually increase stress as this is taking time away from something else...and the cycle spirals out of control.

Dang, I wish I had known this (bold) when some of us got in a . . . discussion . . . with some guy about mindfulness meditation or things like the Herbert Benson Relaxation Response exercise (focus on breathing and say a word like "one" on the exhale), as a stress relief method.

Guy insisted that all such meditation was inherently aimed at wiping out desire, thus ineffably, insidiously Buddhist (or Taoist, or some other such evil, destructive foreign thing, I guess). <eye roll>. There was some kind of Christian meditation he recommended instead, I think. (For clarity: I have nothing against Christian meditation, for those who prefer it).

Maybe if some former military guy had suggested "warrior breathing" instead of a li'l ol' lady suggesting "Relaxation Response", the conversation would've gone differently. Or not. ;)

Obviously, I couldn't agree more about the positive value for stress relief, among other benefits.

Ha Ha! I'll be your Huckleberry.

There is a tremendous spiritual component to this, but it happens in sync with the physical and mental status, regardless of your awareness.

Of course our objective is keeping soldiers alive - breathing is a primary concern. Teaching people the foundational skills gives them something to focus on that they can control. This simple act of engagement and control lays a great foundation for the next step.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with this and see so many people getting lost in the weeds over what they are clearly stressing about, but instead identifying the wrong root cause, such as CICO.

I am a huge proponent of meditation and focused breathing exercises. In the military this was termed "warrior breathing" and was a simple 5 count cycle - inhale for 5 count through the nose, hold for 5, exhale for 5 count through the mouth, hold for 5, repeat. This puts the body in an optimal state, allows you to think clearly and provides time for reflection and focus of purpose.

Stress is such a nebulous term. Most people are unaware that they are over-stressed as they have become used to it or they have no knowledge on how to de-stress. Many would think taking time to de-stress would actually increase stress as this is taking time away from something else...and the cycle spirals out of control.

Dang, I wish I had known this (bold) when some of us got in a . . . discussion . . . with some guy about mindfulness meditation or things like the Herbert Benson Relaxation Response exercise (focus on breathing and say a word like "one" on the exhale), as a stress relief method.

Guy insisted that all such meditation was inherently aimed at wiping out desire, thus ineffably, insidiously Buddhist (or Taoist, or some other such evil, destructive foreign thing, I guess). <eye roll>. There was some kind of Christian meditation he recommended instead, I think. (For clarity: I have nothing against Christian meditation, for those who prefer it).

Maybe if some former military guy had suggested "warrior breathing" instead of a li'l ol' lady suggesting "Relaxation Response", the conversation would've gone differently. Or not. ;)

Obviously, I couldn't agree more about the positive value for stress relief, among other benefits.

Ha Ha! I'll be your Huckleberry.

There is a tremendous spiritual component to this, but it happens in sync with the physical and mental status, regardless of your awareness.

Of course our objective is keeping soldiers alive - breathing is a primary concern. Teaching people the foundational skills gives them something to focus on that they can control. This simple act of engagement and control lays a great foundation for the next step.

Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone? :)

I'd still say I'm not spiritual, except perhaps insofar as one might say it's an abstraction used to characterize one set of emergent properties in a complex mechanistic system. ;)

Still, meditation works, in mysterious ways. I wish I were a more consistent practitioner . . . though evidently not quite enough to work at it. ;)