How do you feel about your height?

Options

Replies

• saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I'm 5'8". I like my height, but since my husband is 5'10" (ok, not really any more, the man has shrunk-although he doesn't want to admit it) wearing heals has me tower over him, so that's sometimes a pain. But that's the only drawback. I wouldn't want to be any taller or shorter. My son is 6'2" (@ 15) though, not really sure how that happened ;)

It's genetics. When the mother is tall relative to the father (you, for example, are only 2 inches shorter than your husband), sons will generally be taller than their fathers and daughters will be shorter than their mothers. When mothers are short relative to the father (for example, more than 5 inches shorter than the father - a 5 inch difference is the "average" ratio worldwide), the daughters will generally be taller than their mothers and sons will be shorter than their fathers. It all averages out. There are always exceptions of course, but that's just in general.

I've never heard that before, but I find it super interesting. That is exactly how it worked out in my family, my father is 6'1" and my mother is 5'5" but my brother and I are both 5'8" (truthfully my brother is 5'7" because I am taller than he is, but I don't correct him).
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" - and resigned to being 'petite' (nice name for SHORT). Tough in crowd-situations - forget seeing parades, concerts - depending on the seating, seeing movies can be difficult. I've honed my climbing skills - I have to hop on top of my counters to get to the top few shelves in my kitchen, and I've been known to scale the shelves in grocery stores. I feel tall when I stand next to my 19 year old daughter - she's 4'10". Petite departments in stores are improving - someone finally realized vertically challenged women don't want the ruffled, sequined look of an 8 year old.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I feel okay about my height. I used to hate how short I was when I was younger but now I don't mind it really
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Solid 6'4". I've helped many getting products off shelves.

It's annoying to buy shirts, XXL and they make them wide not long. Oh, and when you drive on road trips, you see more of the road than you do the sky. Value that.

My husband is "only" 6'2" but with a long torso - so he has the same issue with shirts. Talls all the way but even then it can be tricky. When he actually finds a shirt that fits him properly, he'll buy six in different colors.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Story of my life, always wanting a few more inches. Funny thing is, when I was in my early 20's I was right about 6ft tall. Last time I measured I was just under 5'11 and doc says it is a normal part of getting older (joints compound, arches collapse, etc).
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Male and feeling "normal" at 5' 10"
  • Sector725
    Sector725 Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I’m perfectly pleased being 5’3. They make shoes for height.

Oh, don't get me started on shoes!!! I'm one size off from not fitting womens shoes at all, and the pretty shoes in my size are usually sold out! Good thing I can't afford them anyway... hopefully I'll lose a size or two when I get to my goal weight (got like 135lbs to lose, so who knows?).

Are you a size 5? I’m a 5.5 in some brands and it’s like they don’t even exist

She said she wanted to lose a size or two so there is no way she'd be a size 5/5.5, unless she reallllllly wants to buy her shoes from the children's section, which I doubt ;)

She's probably an 11 like me. KILLIN IT B)
  • Timshel_
    Options
    SurfyPants wrote: »
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Story of my life, always wanting a few more inches. Funny thing is, when I was in my early 20's I was right about 6ft tall. Last time I measured I was just under 5'11 and doc says it is a normal part of getting older (joints compound, arches collapse, etc).

So there is truth to that idea/saying that you shrink as you age?! In my 20's I was 5'11, now I'm 5'10 (43)..

For me at least. Had a friend mention he had a similar experience too. Everything in the body compresses eventually, because...gravity and aging.
  • Sector725
    Sector725 Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    As for the height question....I am a female, 5 foot 9.5 inches. I love my height and would never want to be shorter. I would gladly take another inch or two!

Sure, sitting in coach on airplanes can be sucky but that's why I pay extra for the exit row.

Plus I always feel like a BAMF when I walk into a crowded room wearing 5 inch heels (standing at 6'2.5") and tower over everyone there, most men included.

Beyonce says it best in her song Flawless....BOW DOWN B1#CH3$ ;)

""We teach girls to shrink themselves
    To make themselves smaller
    We say to girls
    "You can have ambition
    But not too much
    You should aim to be successful
    But not too successful
    Otherwise you will threaten the man""

^Nope...be ambitious, be successful, take up space and never feel like you aren't exactly the way you are meant to be. That goes for all women, tall and small.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IyuUWOnS9BY
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I wish I was at least 5-6. I am 5'3-1/2" Petite clothes don't quite fit right but regular clothes are long in the arms & waist. Pants and even yoga pants are always long unless I get ankle length. One reason I love old navy, they have a lot of ankle length items.
  • ColinIsTheName
    ColinIsTheName Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'7" and always liked being tall, except for a couple things. It's very hard finding size 17 shoes and my arms are crazy long. I can now wear medium and large size shirts, but the sleeves are even shorter now. Also, I get to grab stuff from the top shelves for shorties. Maybe I should ask them to get the low stuff for me.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I’d rather be taller because, at my height, the weight loss calorie limit is (a number I can’t say due to MFP policy). Other than that, I’ve never felt good, bad or indifferent about my height.
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    I’m ok with it now. But I wanted to be taller at around 6’3. I’m 5’8 soooo yeah
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    When I was in senior school, I was amongst the “tall” girls. All my friends were petite and I often felt ungainly and mannish which equated in my adolescent mind as unattractive.Since then I’ve grown(no pun intended) to realise that my height , like many other attributes or lack thereof, may be attractive to some and less so to others. Many of my petite friends expressed the same envy for my height as I felt for their lack of it. Regardless, never hindered me in life including my love life.

I’ll admit though, I find it adorable that my 6’3” son has to bend down to hug me. He delights in pointing out how short I am! :heart: :lol:
  • michaelogle71
    michaelogle71 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and I hate how short I am when I go to my half *kitten* bartending job. Im not tall enough to reach anything and if you make the mistake of sitting behind the taps youre gonna have to meet me halfway for everything I hand you.
    On the plus side, I find myself to be the ideal height for shower sex so theres always that.

That is a good height...grrrrr
  • Timshel_
    Options
    I can never have this discussion without thinking this...

https://youtu.be/ryDOy3AosBw

The 80's ruined me.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    I can never have this discussion without thinking this...

https://youtu.be/ryDOy3AosBw

The 80's ruined me.

lol I posted this video in a height discussion last week.. I can't talk about height without singing this either.